PDA

View Full Version : Combat Vets fishin

Re8elmonk0341
06-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Taking a few of my old Marine buddy from my old unit out with me this Sat. to Catalina, hoping to catch some yellow, WSB, RF, or a BUZZ. What are some of ya'll opinions on the bait to use out there....finbait or squirts and tackle and tip on how to fish for WSB. (I've never caught one b4). Thanks for any tips or advice. Hopefully I'll have something good to post...Wish us luck. SEMPER FI!!!

Ricky-Ray
06-23-2008, 10:12 PM
If you can get live squid it's the preferred bait for WSB and yellowtail, if fresh dead will work just as good. Sardines will work good on the yellowtail too but I'm not sure if it works on the WSB, never tried before.

25-30 pound setup's should work just fine for yellow's and WSB. If fishing the grey light for the wsb, try fishing a white jig with a couple of squid on the hook just a little bit off the bottom. That or try a sliding egg sinker setup. If the yellow's are on the surface flyline a squid with no weight if you can get away with it, if you need a little bit of weight 1/4 or 1/2 sliding egg sinker should do it. If fishing the sardine try butt hooking it so it goes down and away from the boat or you could try nose hooking it too. Sometimes when you nose hook it as you slowly retrieve your bait it might induce a strike. Don't forget the flourocarbon. Good luck out there.