PDA

View Full Version : Need to get the Story Straight

IslandBoi
06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Ok, For all you pros out there that travel on the cattleboats, I need to know this answer. What is a reasonable price to have the deckhands clean your fish, I don't need fillets, I just need it gutted....

Everytime I go on the boat, The deckhands ask to fillet my fish and I decline, then I get this dirty ole look, like I just told them to *F* off or something. I understand that they make their money off of filleting and stuff but the also have to understand that being an Islander, my parents usually eat the fish,the whole fish.....

So What would be a good tip to just clean my fish???

Reelbacklash
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I dont know about you but i refuse to reward a crappy attitude or service with a tip, I say gill and gut your own fish. That way you dont need to worry about what to give them.

Ricky-Ray
06-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Most boats are usually a buck or two and that's either fillet or gill and gut. If they are the larger exotics like yellowtail or WSB those could be more. But usually if it's something like a bass or sculpin about a buck or two. Each boat has a different price so if your not sure ask them how much it is to gill and gut if that's what you want.

IslandBoi
06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I dont know about you but i refuse to reward a crappy attitude or service with a tip, I say gill and gut your own fish. That way you dont need to worry about what to give them.

I figured that was kind of frowned on....but I guess like Ricky said, I can just ask.....

Thanks guys

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
buck or 2 for bass or smaller fish. 4 to 5 for bonita medium sized.10 for yellows and wsb even to have em gutted same price. i never have them fillet my fish because most not all deck hands are cocky kids that think they are better then most of us on cattle boats i laugh at them when they are cocky.

DavidE
06-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Buck or 2 is about right. When they ask "fillet??" Just tell them "gill and gut" It's not a big deal and they'll know they are still gonna get paid. I too have seen deck hands "give dirty looks" to customers that don't want their fish cleaned. A couple of times I heard them try to talking them into it and be down right pushy.

Anyways just say gill and gut and that should be it!!

willis949
06-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Just imagine that you walk into a restaurant and sit down and order a water and sit there for an hour.You dont think the waiter is going to give you dirty looks.The base pay for a deckhand is one thing but if the boat has 35 anglers lets say and each angler has the deckhand clean 4 fish @ $2.00 each.Thats some serious money every trip and without that the job is probably more work than its worth.Those guys(the good deckhands at least)have to do a lot of work to keep things running smoothly and I am more than willing to pay a couple bucks a fish to be able to go right home and cook my catch without making a mess at home.

hung380
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
My answer to the deckhands that always ask me if I want my fishes cleaned " I'll give you 5 bucks and i'll clean all the fish when I get home" they usually give me a smile and say thanks. On tuna boats I usually tip them 15 bucks for not cleaning my fish. I like my fishes clean clean and not rubbed all over 10 years old cutting boards that has fish old fish goo all over it. Thats just me :-)

Billy Bass
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I usually have my fish filleted, but the few times I've had a my fish gill and gutted, htey've charged about the same as filleting. As to bad attitutes- no tips man

Ricky-Ray
06-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I usually have my fish filleted, but the few times I've had a my fish gill and gutted, htey've charged about the same as filleting. As to bad attitutes- no tips man

It's usually the same price whether you get them filleted or gill and gut.

KID CREOLE
06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Be very careful when having you fish filleted, if you're in possesion of fished that was not legally filleted you'll probably be getting the ticket

DavidE
06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
So What would be a good tip to just clean my fish???

Ok I just re-read your post.

You *PAY* to have your fish cleaned. That is either gill and gutted, filleted, head and gut, slabbed, etc ....

*Tipping* is above and beyond any services the crew performs. You know the deal good service good tip. Bad/No service = No Tip. And if you got one or two good crew members tip them individually and tell them that tip is between you and them. That lets them know you appreciate the work they did for you.