PDA

View Full Version : Checkerboard Checkmate

Ambassadorhawg
06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Went out on the afternoon run aboard the Monte Carlo today. Major fog at first but it broke about an hour into the trip and it turned out to be a lovely day on the water.

Captain decided to try for calicos up the line a bit. I think we at least got close to Marineland.

Did a little looking before we settled into our first stop. Water was green off color with an uphill current. We were right up against the edge of a kelp forest. Snags were fairly common.

A slow pick developed into a fair pick on the Checkerboards with a few quality fish up to 4+ pounds coming aboard to visit our bags. I got 2 or 3 smallish fish and a smallish Brown Rockfish out of this stop. I had my daughter and my wife with me today although she didn't fish. However, I am proud to say that my daughter got her first ever Calico at this first spot!

The action fizzled after a while so we went back downhill a short way and settled onto a spot outside the kelp forest edge on hard bottom with some stringers of it's own.

This spot produced well. There was several nice fish in the 4-5 pound class caught. I got multiple baitfish on the 'chovie and sardine, top and bottom. I also got a nice fish on the rubber ducky! I got 2 good hits on the surface iron but they didn't stick.

I ended up with at least 10 bass, 1 Brown Rockfish and one Magenta colored Cabezon that was probably legal sized but I threw it back anyway. No pics today, too lazy and too busy going bent. Besides, all of you already know what these fish look like anyway! LOL!

This was my first "Summertime surface action" trip of the year... not a bad way to start!!!

Get out there and go bent!!!

A-hawg out...

Greg Madrigal
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks 4 the report Ahawg! I sure hope they are releasing those 4lbers.....

GM<><

k3vin_kim
06-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Not too shabby Mike. Good on ya for taking out the fam.

DavidE
06-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Not a bad way to start at all !!!!!!!!! thanks for the report !!

Liteliner
06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Ahhh nice. Wish I would have been on that boat. I think the boat ended up with maybe 30 calicos if that and a couple sandbass.

one_leg
06-23-2008, 10:27 PM
What a great report. Thanks for posting it up Mike!

O_L