PDA

View Full Version : My first boat

swimbait101
06-21-2008, 09:51 PM
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, I FINALLY GOT A BOAT. i got it for 80 dollars at big 5. it was an intex challenger 3. it is super easy to inflate. i love it,. i know i will catch alot more fish with this gal.

swimbait101

basscatcher
06-22-2008, 07:42 PM
congratulations :Applause:

God Bless

basscatcher

Ronira
06-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Congrats on the new ride! :Cool:

swimbait101
06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
if you guys can give me some basic rules/requirements for an inflatable at the lagoon that would help alot

bonitoboy
06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Swimbait,

I have a sevylor inflatable. Totally awesome boat for two when you want to get away from the crowds on the pier and shore. Pretty convenient too as I can deflate and put into the trunk of my acura when I am done. I have a motor on mine which requires a CF from the DMV. If you are going to paddle it which I do not recommend (these things are not the most hydrodynamic) you do not need a CF. Other than that you will need PFD for every one on board and a paddle. Read up on the CA boating regs for more specifics as how you must have your CF number displayed, rules of the waterways(pretty basic, my boat is 12 ft so pretty much everyone else has the right of way in my case), etc. and have fun.

swimbait101
06-25-2008, 08:08 AM
thanks bonitoboy

i got the pfd's

what is the CF and DMV???

bonitoboy
06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi,

The CF is the number you will have to attach onto your boat, Its your vessel registration. You get that at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV), same place for your car. Remember thats only if you get a motor. If you paddle your boat, no sails, no motor, no CF is required.

swimbait101
06-25-2008, 09:18 PM
what if it is a trolling motor?

yakker
06-26-2008, 12:56 PM
PFDs and a net for sure for sure.

I have an Advanced Elements, also an inflatible. I keep a patch repair kit and a bellows pump on board at all times, I've never had to use them yet.

bonitoboy
06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
what if it is a trolling motor?

Still a motor, requires a CF.

bonitoboy
06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I think nets only apply to kayaks not inflatables

Skyler
06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
A couple of helpful tips I have learned from paddling my sevylor Tahiti HF inflatable kayak over the last few months:

Rig some kind of a tracking skeg on the rear (like a surf board). It really helps to keep you going straight.

If paddling by yourself, put about 20-30 pounds of ballast in the front of the boat. This helps with tracking, and will also keep the wind from spinning you around as much.

Inflate the pontoons nice and hard, but keep the floor a bit soft. It helps with stability if you sit a bit lower in the boat, and the wind won't affect you as much either. Plus the boat seems to track a bit better as well.

Unless you just plan on trolling and drift fishing, invest in an anchor! Unlike a float tube, when your hands are busy fishing, you can't maintain a consistent position.

When paddling, keep your strokes close to the boat, and you won't spin as much, lol.

Good luck with the new boat. PM me if you are ever kayaking out here in the IE area. Peace.

swimbait101
06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
i thought the CF only applied to gas powered boats but ok

my dad comes with me so 1 of us on each side paddling, we will not curve. i am probably going to use the boat mostly at the lagoon. might try perris too

tell you when i will go