PDA

View Full Version : camping in Mammoth Lakes?

sandtrout
06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Any help here would be appreciated....wanted to stay at a campground but my funds are running way to low. I can camp or I can eat. I'm planning on sleeping in the back of my van. Are there any businesses that anyone knows of that will allow me to sleep in their parking lot or are there any other places that anyone knows that I can park and sleep for free? thanks in advance... DAN

JIMMY JAM
06-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Midway between Mammoth and the June Lake loop is Glass Creek Campground. It's free. No piped in water or hookups. Unfortunately it seems that every RVer already knows about it. However, just across the highway to the north there is BLM land that you can camp on. (for free) Fire restrictions the past couple of years have banned campfires there. You used to be able to get a fire permit at the ranger stations.

Sparky70
06-21-2008, 10:33 PM
U better stay home this time of year if U want to camp in the Eastern Sierra 4 FREE, but you can take a chance and head to Mammoth, they have some 1st come 1st serve Campgrounds in that area.

I wish U Good Luck

retired/lasd
06-22-2008, 07:20 AM
You can camp in the Big Springs campground at the headwaters of the Owens River for free, its a nice campground. Also you can camp at the Crowley BLM campfround. Its a lousy campground but it free.

Crawler
06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
If you are not planning on spreading your gear out all over the place, just pull off on a turnout and crash out. I have done it several times in the sierras without any problems. :Envious:

mammothfishin
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Camping 100 feet off of any Forest Service road is legal for thirty days. Try the Scenic Loop.