PDA

View Full Version : Grunions... Where?

bonestock
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Went 2 parts of Newport Beach and didn't see 1 single Grunion. Saw tons of people at NP pier, and few further down the beach but not a single Grunion in sight. I left at about 12 after a few casts off the pier.

Is it worth it to whip out the surf gear and try to hook up during larger fishing feeding from the spawning?

BupkAngler
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I was In NP Pier about 2 weeks ago and the grunion run was on. seen lots of ppl grabing them left and right. Hiked up my pants a grabbed a few myself.

CoffeaRobusta
06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
We went to Seal Beach last night and the grunion showed. I suspect a lot more in the water than what showed on the beach because people were grabbin the scouts right off the bat. Wind was blowing but felt some strikes. Gulp bait came back out of the water minus its tail. At Seal Beach I seem to have better luck on the edges of the main group of grunion. Some people think they have better luck just before or after the days of grunion runs. There may be something to that. You also miss the crowds that way too.

pineapple express
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
was at np pier last night from 11pm-12:30
place was loaded with people & grunions...
seems the 3rd night is the best bet.

Frenchie174
06-22-2008, 08:52 PM
We went to Seal Beach last night and the grunion showed. I suspect a lot more in the water than what showed on the beach because people were grabbin the scouts right off the bat. Wind was blowing but felt some strikes. Gulp bait came back out of the water minus its tail. At Seal Beach I seem to have better luck on the edges of the main group of grunion. Some people think they have better luck just before or after the days of grunion runs. There may be something to that. You also miss the crowds that way too.

What time did you get there? A few of my friends went on Friday and said they got the boot at 11:30pm by beach police.