PDA

View Full Version : NPH 6/18/08 Nice Day

Airn33
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Every Wednesday I have been going out with the kids and my buddy Andrew to NPH to get into some fish. This wednesday we headed out around 11:00 AM from North OC. Tide charts said that the tide should bee starting to come in around 10:45 so we thought we would catch the incoming tide. After a little trouble with forgetting the fishing license, Andrew got a day pass and we made it down there around 11:45.
Showed up at the dock and it was empty which is a good sign for us considering I brought my 4 year old son and my 10 month daughter who watches and laughs from her stroller. Started chumming for live bait and quickly got into a bunch of baby smelt. Then after a half hour or so of doing that about 4 knuckle heads showed up and started setting up. It seemed like they were more interested in drinking and smoking pot. Not that I'm against it but just not in front on the kids in public, have a little respect and keep it private. Then to top it off another two people come onto the dock and just way over crowd it. Luckily for us our lines didn't get tangled with the other guys but the first 4 guys and the other 2 guys got tangled a couple times.
Anyways we set up live bait and started throwing plastics for awhile with no luck at all. Another 3 hours go by and still nothing. Only good thing is everyone gave up and took off. So now its like 3:45 and we have the dock to ourselves again.
All of a sudden my drag starts spinning off then stops, then goes a little more! I grab the pole and wait to see if whatevers biting will take it a little more? Nothing, so I set the hook and BAM!.....nothing.:(
a little bit later Andrews drag starts spinning off! He lets it go and feeds it more line keeping it real loose....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....keeps going......feed it some more...ok...stand still.....reel in slowly to tighten line...good...feel pressure...then BAM let em feel steel. And the fight is on! Andrew reels in a just barely legal halibut. :Surprised:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000179-1.jpg
ttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000178-1.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000177-1.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000176-1.jpg
Again my drag starts singing and I wait.....feed it...feed it more.. it goes off again...I wait then I set the hook and nothing again. NOw I'm starting to get mad, how can this be happening? I saw my pole go bendo when i set the hook, but then nothing. Only good thing is I still have my live bait on the hook and it is undamaged. A little bit later again my line starts running and my pole is singing real loud this time. What ever has it this time has really got it cause it took about 30 yards off my reel. after it slows down I set it for real this time not messing at all hoping I hook it in its cerebelum if necessary. I feel it making runs! This ones a fighter! It keeps pulling drag as I reel it in so I tighten it down just a little and awaiting this giant flattie to appear I am surprised to see a MONSTER SPOTTIE! Ddin't expect that one! And i hooked it into what would be equivelant to an esophagus.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000196-2.jpg

All in all we caught only 2 fish but it was fun, the kids enjoyed it and it was a great day at the harbor.

Tight lines all!
-Aaron

FishBandit
06-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Awesome job out there in the bay. Was told I started fishing when I was a wee tyke at 2 years old. Im in my twenties and cant stop. That kid will be hooked for sure. LOL.

theBandit

PS - Sorry to hear about the hooligans. Some people have no manners nowadays.

BupkAngler
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice report, i was also at NPH at the jetty Only caught a short halli but hey better then the SKUNK A ROOO! Sorry to hear about those guys killing part of your fishing day. Im sure that HUGE spottie made ya feel better.

BuPk

amskater
06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
great catch and thanks for the report

GOTFISHUES
06-19-2008, 08:13 PM
that was one of the nicest spotties ive seen in awhile, mad props yo' its a feat landing a monster like that.

GOTFISHUES

bergie berg
06-19-2008, 08:52 PM
cool fish dude!!! I was at NPH on wensday and caught a few spotties but nothing like that.... :Shocked:

pokerface12
06-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Very nice spotted baybass. I think pound for pound they fight much harder than any sandbass, calicobass and largemouth by far. Glad to hear that the bay was productive.

Wingnut
06-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Nice looking Spottie, well done on the Hali too. :cool: :D

doyoufishmuch
06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Yea, great report. Sorry about your run in with those guys, I know that sucks when your watchin little ones and people act ignorant. But damn nice job, what a monster bass! :Shocked: :Applause:

Rooster
06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
I have to say that spottie is the biggest spottie i seen this year.. Way more impressive then the hali in my eyes.. Props :Applause:

troutdog
06-20-2008, 12:05 AM
One heck of a spottie:Shocked: Minus the inconsiderate idiots sounds like a great day with the kids, great report and pics! WTG.

TD

dirthead
06-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Trophy spotted bay bass
very nice catch! thanks for the report.
DIRTHEAD

ono
06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what takes drag and doesn't swollow the hook.........stingrays. I used to watch my live bait in crystal clear water and those pesky stingrays would always try to mount my smelt and run off with it but their little mouths couldn't swollow it. Anyway, you don't want one of those rays threshing about near the kids. Nice Halibut and that spotty is a great catch. They rarely get much bigger than that.....great job.

FishermanStu
06-20-2008, 03:51 PM
o man. that spotty is really nice. good job toughing it out.

bonestock
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
My buddy and I were there that day, went in the Liqour to get some chovies and saw that, that dock was WAY too packed.