PDA

View Full Version : Landings And Bogus Fish Counts????????????

Liteliner
05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Sunday morning i was doing my usual surf of the fishing sites and stumbled upon daveyslocker killing the giant squid. 138 to be exact on the twilight trip. Got extra excited and decided to go since I have never caught squid like the giants I have been hearing about. Took off around six and headed out there. There was only 20-25 people. Nice light crowd. Well finally got out of the harbor around 7:30. First few stops produced nothing. Finally about the fourth stop we had a steady pick on the giants for about 30 mins. Picked up about 20 of the giants. Had three more stops and captain called it a night. The whole boat ended up with 25 or so squid........

Okay here is where I get pissed off. Why the hell does it say that sunday nights twilight trip got 180 giant squid when we only got 25. Gawd damn fawkers. Isnt that like false advertising or something. Im sure the diks didnt catch 138 on saturday either. This captain must really suck to be lying off his *** to get customers. Pathetic mofo....................

fishnfool
05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Sorry to say but they have lots of issues right now......

I wonder if Brockman knows whats going on...that guy always ran a tight ship when he ran the freelance...

Liteliner
05-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Just thought it was pretty low. The captain for the trip was pretty young. Think his name was tom. Not positive. I still think its pretty messed up though.

Troutman65
05-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I have not gone out of Davies in a while. So I don't know what's up with the B.S. report that was given. If indeed that is what happend about jacking up the count just to get more people out the next day is Sh*tty way of doing biz. I did have Don's cell # and I think I mis placed it.

Matador1238
05-22-2007, 01:49 AM
I think all counts are false whenever they dont really catch much. Its not like they really count it anyways.

ghetto dad
05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I think all counts are false whenever they dont really catch much. Its not like they really count it anyways.

once again.....not ALL counts are false, if some landings/captains decide to inflate their fish counts, they they are cutting their own throat...also, like i have said in a previous post, the counts go from the deckhands to the captains to the landing personnel, then finally to the paper....all it takes is one error on that chain, or an accidental adding of a number by the peeps at the papers, and its "inflated"....but i know certain boats DO inflate their counts.....im not sayin who, so dont ask, and its NOT out of LBSF......peace.....oh yeah, i almost forgot, I WAS THE ONE WHO MADE AN ERROR last year, all it took was for me to accidently write on our fish count sheet "115" in the whitefish column instead of the rockfish column...things happen, sometimes not intentionally..peace guys!! :D

Liteliner
05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I just thought it was kind of hard to mix up catching 25 giant squid and 180 giant squid.

ghetto dad
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I just thought it was kind of hard to mix up catching 25 giant squid and 180 giant squid.

lol...im not saying THEY didnt inflate their count..thats b.s.

CoronaCatKiller
05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Every single trip I have taken either from Daveys, Newport Landing, or Dana Wharf I have checked the papers to see if they have inflated the numbers, and every time to an extent it seems to have happened. Newport Landing being the most honest about the count and Daveys being the worst. Daveys even claimed we had fewer anglers than we did.

MOOSEBOY
05-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Unfortunatly I can say I've the same type of experience with Newport landing. Ill never go back.

Moose

jplee3
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
weird... the latest count they're advertising is:

"41 Giant Squid"

THarry65
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
This is somewhat related... I called Daveys locker in Newport Beach a couple of weeks ago and the guy on the phone told me there was "live bait" got to Daveys monday morning and the guy tells me they haven't had live bait in over a two months... whatever!

Troutman65
05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Now that would really piss me off !!!!!!!!!!

CoronaCatKiller
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah they stopped selling live bait in April, good luck getting some from the bait barge though, I went on saturday and we had to use frozen all day

SanDimasLMB
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
they call it fishing not catching.

Liteliner
05-22-2007, 08:33 PM
???

Troutman65
05-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Lite is like, WTF?

LMAO !!!!!!!!!

Monkeerow
05-25-2007, 01:22 AM
they call it fishing not catching.

what the heck does that have to do with inflating counts?! Yea, i agree that all newport boats tend to inflate a lot of their counts.

JapanRon
05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi CoronaCatKiller,

The bait-barge down that way has had all kinds of problems with the red tide from what I was told by a skipper here a couple of days ago.

Bait apparently dies in hours so they gave up is what I heard. Don't know for sure.

JapanRon

JapanRon
05-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi ghetto dad,

If anyone should know on a day-to-day basis with experience at even more than one landing, a dozen plus boats, and no telling how many skippers .......... on counts ..... It is Der Ghetto Dad !! :) :)

As you said .... if one is willing to give the whole system the benefit of the doubt ... there are lots of links that can be broken. Twilights are an example of the problems of getting the infomation to the angler in a timely manner. One must also be aware that the website and newspaper info may be available at different times so .......

If one is dis-believing of a count in the newspaper sometimes a check of the landings website fish count will show a discrepancy.

Funny ...... the boats I ride don't seem to over-exaggerate the counts on the trip I am on!! :lol: :lol:

To the newbie:

Just the opposite ....... I've noticed sometimes counts are different (translation: low-balled or non-existent) in either the number of or the species of fish. The moo-moo business can sometimes be a very tough one and sometimes a count will draw lots of unwanted attention from both moo-moo competitors or even Pbers. Yes ... savvy PBers read the moo-moo reports too!

The above is most often in special circumstances but is practiced by a majority of skippers. What skipper would want to have worked hard to find a bunch of fish and have carefully nurtured the spot for the long term only to have a bunch of cowboys make a raid and decimate the mini-fishery.

That's an insult to the skipper .... bordering on sniping and a dis-service to the fishry/enviornment's natural balance. Make no mistake about it .... take one species away from an eco-system and the entire area suffers!

JapanRon

Funjunkie74
05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey, I know this one is an honest error. But it was kinda funny so:

http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages ... ding_id=16 (http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/landingdetail.php?landing_id=16)

YELLOWFIN TUNA?!?!?!

I think whoever is reading the emails or listening to the voicemail needs to get some Red Bull!!! It supposed to be YELLOW TAIL!!

victor101
05-28-2007, 10:04 PM
i just saw this report for laharbor sportfishing on their 3/4 day sport king. seems a little "inflated" to me on the wsb and halibut. this is for 34 anglers

Sport King 3/4 Day 34 anglers 14 Yellowfin Croaker, 12 Calico Bass, 88 White Seabass, 126 Halibut, 126 Sargo, 41 Opaleye, 24 California Sheephead, 105 Halfmoon

ghetto dad
05-29-2007, 12:32 PM
i just saw this report for laharbor sportfishing on their 3/4 day sport king. seems a little "inflated" to me on the wsb and halibut. this is for 34 anglers

Sport King 3/4 Day 34 anglers 14 Yellowfin Croaker, 12 Calico Bass, 88 White Seabass, 126 Halibut, 126 Sargo, 41 Opaleye, 24 California Sheephead, 105 Halfmoon

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

FishingOC
06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
maybe we should have a cattle boat rating system on this board, that way the cattle boats cant take advantage of us sport angler and rip us off all the time. and by doing that the cattle boat captains will treat us with more respect.

Liteliner
06-02-2007, 09:16 AM
We should. They need us just as much as we need them........ Im going out on the liberty tonight.. Will post...

ThemBastards
06-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Yeah sorry Ive never been on a boat where 536 fish were caught. Possible yeah, but Ive never seen it.

fish4keep
06-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Did you check out the counts the next day or the following day after next?????

The reason is because the twilight don't get the count in until the following day. For instance if you're twilight fishing on Sunday, the count wont get in til Tuesday(on-line counts). Since the count's already been put up for the day, when you check out the counts the next day it wont show up for the twilights count.

Yes, I'm pretty sure some landing boost thier count. Also the counts are never exact. It's base on an estimated count from deckies and captn. The deckies and captn will not go through every sack for an exact count.

JapanRon
06-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi fish4keep,

Actually, Skippers are responsible for reporting in a fish take log for every trip they do! Deck hands usually do a sack count and convey this count to the skipper. The DFG has forms, given to the operator, and the skipper .............. then dutifully fills them out on the way back in to the dock or whatever their routine. Also seen these official forms and reports at landing offices too!

It might be interesting to see if some have different figures between these official forms and the dock totals.

JapanRon

smokehound
06-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Well maybe they had some old asians with them.