PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor & Battery Question

Ghost
06-18-2008, 06:43 PM
I bought a Minn Kota 36 & a group 24 deep cycle battery from Walmart, also a plastic battery box to fit the battery.

I am concerned about having the trolling motor & battery connection inside the battery box. The box has 4 openings on the lid for the battery to "breath". Now I know that water will seep in the box, cuz of the openings on the lid.

So, if water gets inside the battery box, will the water short out the trolling motor, or will it still work?

I don't know if I need to put a plastic trash bag around the battery while inside the battery box while I'm the water.

What do you guys think???

Ronira
06-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I bought a Minn Kota 36 & a group 24 deep cycle battery from Walmart, also a plastic battery box to fit the battery.

I am concerned about having the trolling motor & battery connection inside the battery box. The box has 4 openings on the lid for the battery to "breath". Now I know that water will seep in the box, cuz of the openings on the lid.

So, if water gets inside the battery box, will the water short out the trolling motor, or will it still work?

I don't know if I need to put a plastic trash bag around the battery while inside the battery box while I'm the water.

What do you guys think??? I've been using mine for two years and have yet to get a drop of water inside the battery box even in high winds and a lot of chop. The battery box lid should have two openings facing down for your TM wires to enter the box and and attach to the posts with butterfly nuts. Post up a pic of your battery box and I can see if they are the same. Even if a little water gets in there I don't think it'll hurt anything.