PDA

View Full Version : tent camping in the sierras

bigbluthng
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
i'll be heading there in mid july with the family and some friends. the ladies all want showers but i can't find any sites with them listed on the reservation website. anybody know where? also what's the temperature like in the day/night?

jmurillo74
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
If you are heading up to Mammoth or June Lake Loop, most major lakes have campsites which are on a first come first serve basis, no reservations needed, about $19 a night per site. Moste of these campsites have a little general store which have showers for about $2 per shower. Weather is pretty good in July, wind could kick up any time and afternoon thunderstorms are not uncommon.

gwjones00
06-19-2008, 06:21 AM
If you are looking for showers, then you'll probably want to stay in a private versus a public campground. Any ideas on where you want to go? Mammoth? June Lake? Bishop?

Let us know - I'm sure we all have ideas....

sky
06-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Tell the ladies all they need is running water and a bucket....soap -shampoo and a wash cloth, tooth brush and paste to smell fresh as a daisy!

Locations that have showers & Flush toilets
LAKE Campground
Rock Creek Lake: Rock Creek Resort

Convict Lake: Convict Lake Resort

Mammoth Lakes: Showers are at Lake Mary Store - Flush toilets at Lake Mary campground

Grant Lake: Grant Lake Campground

Lundy Lake: Lundy Lake Resort

Twin Lake - in Bridgeport: Twin Lakes Resort - Mono Village - Doc and ALs Resort

one_leg
06-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Three words: Portable Solar Shower.

Joshua
06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Bishop Creek South Fork
Bishop Creek Lodge has showers rentals for a couple $$
Creekside RV park also has showers. I think it is 6 quarters for 5 minutes.

I am guessing that Parcher's Lodge also has showers, but I am not 100%

fndaway66
06-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Mono Village Upper Twin Lakes in Bridgeport. Perfect for the family. Hot showers and flush toilets are all over the campgrounds and cleaned twice daily. General store for any forgotton items, cheaper than downtown bridgeport also. Bring the kids bikes, almost impossible for them to get lost. Cafe and ice cream (softserve) booth. Laundry facilities also. Camp on the otherside of the creek, alot quieter on that side.

bigbluthng
06-19-2008, 10:32 PM
thanks guys for the suggestions. i actually looked at most all the ones mentioned and all were booked the days i wanted. anyhow i got a spot on the east fork campgound on rock creek. the showers are a few miles away.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey bigblu, ever think of trying the west side of the Sierras? A few of us on FNN go there regularly and Wishon Res. is a popular spot. Wishon Village is the privately owned/operated campground where they have both tent and RV sites, full bathrooms w/showers (a quarter for 3 minutes last I saw), and they also run the boat rentals at the lake. Check out their site....... www.wishonvillage.com Very friendly and quiet atmosphere. Tent sites even have a level wooden platform to pitch your tent. I'd recommend it to anyone. Have a great trip !

Fearless
06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
I will be in Silver Lake on July 8th.... any one have any good fishing spots or ideas as to waht to bring etc!

bigbluthng
06-21-2008, 01:02 PM
i had no idea the west side of the sierras were as popular as the easter side. thank you tuna- \

now the wife is all worried about bears since we will be taking aout 5 month old. most everyone i talked to says just keep the food in the lockers and you'll be fine. what can you guys share that have been there done that? to be honest i wasn't too worried till i heard a couple stories that got me thinking otherwise.

Sparky70
06-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Don't Feed Th Bears.......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

smalweld
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I prefer the West side of the Sierra's since it seems to be greener :) Don't worry about the bears. Keep all food and toiletries like deoderant, toothpaste, soap, dishwashing detergent even bug spray. Essentially anything that smells in the bear box. Bears can read also, they know Coleman, Igloo and other things that looks like coolers have yummy treats in them. I was at Yosemite and Sequoia earlier this month and was told that if I had a baby seat in the car to take it out. Guess they think that baby seats are coolers too? Sounds like a lot of stuff that has to be done but it really amounts to an extra trip to the bear box to put it all away. Just about everywhere in the Sierra's has bears, both on the east and west side.

10 years ago I went camping when my son was only 6 month's old and his mom. All three of us went on a short hike. It was a paved trail that went by a meadow to a house that was made out of a fallen tree. As we were coming back my gf told me that there was a bear on the other side of the meadow. I told her to just walk casually and we will be ok. DO NOT RUN!! I told her.Her motherly instinct was to run with the stoller. The bear other than standing on it's hind legs trying to catch whatever scent we were putting off decided that we were no bother to her. Was a great hike and excellent scenerey. Mother Nature is great when viewed as she sees it. Be carefull and enjoy yourself, that's what camping is all about. I told my son while we were in Sequoia that he's seen a bear.. He just doesn't remember that one :)

Sean

SoCalGuy7
06-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Bishop Creek South Fork

I did see showers behind the store, they had a pay box on them, not sure what the cost was....

FishPrincipal
06-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Bishop Creek South Fork

I was going to post the same info as Joshua, those places are great for cleaning up while tenting. Its awesome to have ladies willing to tent it up, even if comprimising means more work to find a place with showers. Have a great time bigbluthng.

As long as any scented object is in the bear box, you're okay. My wife's family said they got their tent ripped into several years ago by a bear because of baby wipes. They told me that after I told them there were no bear problems in campsites in the Easter Sierras, so I got to taste my foot by putting it in my mouth.

sweetfish
06-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Owen's river campgroung has hot showers. 3 years ago it cost a buck to take the showers and camping in tents was 10 bucks a night if I remember correctly. If you are not familiar with the campground, it is off the 395 before you get to Mammoth (Bend's Crossing rd). I have always done well on that stretch of the river down to Crowley lake using blue fox spinners, panther martins, floating rapalas, berkley micro trout worms, lip ripperz, elk hair caddis, mosquitoes, and salmon eggs. There are some big fish there both rainbows and browns. Good luck and have fun.

Temps are hot during the day (90's) and chilly at night (40's).

buttflyzzz
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
all i say is F that. i took a ruger 44 with no intention of using it. but the security of me and my family were first. You think those big bad rangers are gonna run in and save you. I think not. maybe im a little californide but im all about equal rights, you have the right to have claws and teeth i have the right to have ruger and sig sauer. all my bear runins were very majestic life changing experiences from a distance but you never know. I refuse to be a story talked about on this internet. Be informed, Be ready, and most of all Be SMART:Thumbs Up: I personally like to stay at twin lakes and fish bridgeport res. you wont be disappointed

Crawler
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
all i say is F that. i took a ruger 44 with no intention of using it. but the security of me and my family were first. You think those big bad rangers are gonna run in and save you. I think not. maybe im a little californide but im all about equal rights, you have the right to have claws and teeth i have the right to have ruger and sig sauer. all my bear runins were very majestic life changing experiences from a distance but you never know. I refuse to be a story talked about on this internet. Be informed, Be ready, and most of all Be SMART:Thumbs Up: I personally like to stay at twin lakes and fish bridgeport res. you wont be disappointed

No doubt. I have gotten a few wierd looks on the trail when people notice my sidearm. F 'em. I will not be eaten/mauled by a bear. :Envious:

BIGRED KILLA
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Have fun just watch out for the two pound ants and the bird size skeeters.

Bigred

Beeracuda211
06-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah don't forget about the cheetah's when it's 120 degrees out there... They tend to come out in packs! LOL

B/C

BigGameHunter
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM
I suggest Red's Meadow.. Great camping, FREE Showers( Natural Hot Springs), and plenty to do if with the family.. If not then plenty of fishing for you.. Here are some pics from a week ago..............

BGH

MAN VS WILD
07-01-2008, 01:42 AM
My Dad, Son and I stayed at Brown's Town in Bishop and had a great time. Very easy if you have kids. Hot showers. Very clean restrooms. Almost in town so your not to far from fast food but still has a feel of being out in the wild.

Badfish2
07-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm avoiding Bishop more and more.. too many people. Rock Creek lake and north are the best spots now...STAY AWAY FROM MAMMOTH. June Lake has OH! Ridge Campground.. it's perfect for families that don't want to completely rough it. Yes they have showers.

I agree with anyone that says head north to bridgeport. Less people and awesome scenery, best fishing in the sierras period.

MAN VS WILD
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm avoiding Bishop more and more.. too many people. Rock Creek lake and north are the best spots now...STAY AWAY FROM MAMMOTH. June Lake has OH! Ridge Campground.. it's perfect for families that don't want to completely rough it. Yes they have showers.

I agree with anyone that says head north to bridgeport. Less people and awesome scenery, best fishing in the sierras period.

Up by twin lakes (Bridgeport) there is as campsite called Honeymoon Flats. Nice place right next to a stream. Showers are less than a 2 min. drive away. Or Doc & Al's is also good with a lot more ammenities.