PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day in the Sierras

kgselect
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Spent Father's day weekend in the Eastern Sierras, Mammoth Lakes. Had a great time with the family and managed to catch (or, help my children catch) a lot of fish.

Started at Crowley Lake on Friday the 13th. And, regardless of the date, we had a great time catching & releasing many trout in the 1 to 1.5 lb range. Nothing large but a very steady bite throughout the day of beautiful, hard fighting Crowley Lake rainbows. All fish were caught on inflated night crawlers. 3lb florocarbon leader worked well. I tried to midge fish for a bit, but, no takers. Just a note, as always, the workers at Crowley Lake are always friendly and helpful. Even with the burden of inspecting boats for Quagga Mussels, they were patient and helpful.

Saturday, the family relaxed, had a nice breakfast at the Stove, hit some golf balls, biked and fished a few hours at Lake Mary. The kids managed to catch a handful of beautiful, small trout. My daughter hooked into a large fish (probably an Alpers) but it broke off during a long run. She was bummed. But the beautiful scenery at Lake Mary (see pics) made up for the loss.

Sunday, back to Crowley with the parents and sis on a pontoon boat. Again, a day long steady bite of medium sized rainbow trout. The biggest was maybe 2lbs, but, mostly 1 to 1.5lbs. Most fish released except a few for the grill.

Monday, we decided to fish Lake Mary again for a couple hours in hopes of catching one of those Alpers trout. Again, the kids caught a lot of small rainbows (10-12"). Beautiful, hard fighting fish. Then, in the last 10 minutes before we were about to leave, my son hooks into something large. This fish rips off 30-40 feet line, comes in, then takes off for another 30 foot run. After about 5 mins and several smaller runs, the fish was tired & my son lands about a 3lb Alpers trout. Beautiful. What a way to end the trip. He was jazzed.

Another wonderful trip to the Sierras. It's always difficult to leave this beautiful place whether it's for fishing, skiing, biking, etc. Good fishing all.

diamondbear
06-17-2008, 07:53 PM
GREAT REPORT , Lake Mary is a fun place to fish good job to your son on the big trout .

SoCalGuy7
06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Great family weekend...awesome memories for years to come....Nice fish your son has there too!

This is how family vacations are supposed to be.

SCG7

sansou
06-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Great pics and report....hopefully I'll get a chance to experience Crowley et al. this summer.

troutdog
06-18-2008, 01:37 AM
That is a beautiful fish you guys landed, congrats! Thanks for the report and pics.

TD

Brian_GSC
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Awesome! The look on your son's face is priceless! What a great father's day gift to you!

kgselect
06-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks all for the nice words. It was a wonderful weekend with the family and the weather was beautiful. Mid 70s, little wind. Just a great, relaxing weekend. Can't wait to go back.

Rubble
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Happy Father's Day indeed...............Isn't it just Heaven up there...........And the food at the Stove,incredible......

Good job kg & good Fathering......;)

steve092
06-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Nice alper!

Those fish put up a great fight!

MAN VS WILD
06-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Now that was the ultimate Father's Day present. Catching fish with the kids. That's what I'm hoping to do in August. Great trip with the family looks like it was a blast.

FISH ON!!!