PDA

View Full Version : project boat (2nd boat)

dragonrpc
06-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Even though I already have an old school ranger 83' 350v (avatar pic) I picked up this little project 'tinney' last week. The intent is for my vacation spot in az. with the gas prices I was not looking forward to towing my boat over the miles..

This should be a great little runabout for the local AZ ponds and lakes.

nothing pretty but should be lots of fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dragonrpc/tracker.jpg

karlow
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Yep me too.
I'm working on an upgrade to the PlasticFantastic boat (14' Sears Gamefisher).
I picked up a 1990 Tracker 17" deep V. It has spent most of it's life in the ocean.
The trailer looks like crap, the fuel pump was leaking, the transome had about 8 holes in it.
The oil in the lower end looks like it might have a little water in it too. Ther are a few other spots on the hull where the paint is boubling a little. The cover is also shot. Other than that it, looks great! After I pointed out it's issues to the owner, I walked away. The problem is he reduced the price from $2500 to $1500 so I had to come back
I have spent about 5 hours to date mainly grinding the rust off the trailer. I found the bearings on the starbard side were crap on Monday. Good luck with your new project.
I'm shooting for about 3 weeks, & $300 to water with this one. My Game fisher may be for sale in about 6 weeks.

dragonrpc
06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
congrats on the upgrade for you. yeah I much prefer my 18' ranger, but again this is my relaxing vacation boat... picked it up for a few hundred and I have one older bass seat from when I upgrade my big boat, I will probably swap that with the one in the new picture. Probably jsut get a couple cans of spray paint and tiedy up the outside, maybe make it camo since its close. one intent, is I have a 2005 Polaris Ranger, that I intend to use to pull this boat to a few of the close lakes. its Street legal, and will also pull it across the grated dirt fireroads... my next big plan is to either swap the 150 2-stroke to a 2000+ 4-stroke on the big boat... or just by a newer version of ranger and upgrade the whole thing.
not on the top of my money allocation list though. this little tin criter came with a canapy, paddles, 5 speed electic, seats, etc. I have my old 45 lbs foot troller That I also upgraded on the big one, I might see if I can adapt that to this small tracker for front and rear powerplants.... will post updates if the project progresses...

GeordyBass
06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
yeah project boats are time consuming!I have,three projects right now...one is my personal boat(whaler),a fiberglass skiff,and an inflatable(Air leaker!)

muskyman
06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
These are my babies ; always something to work on

GeordyBass
06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
These are my babies ; always something to work on
nice rides!
these are mine...
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii127/thebassmaster818/Photo0082.jpg

dragonrpc
07-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Well spent a few weeks up at the vacation spot, and remember the photo on post 1,

well here is the result of some minimal effort

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dragonrpc/IMG00165.jpg

got the trailer, boat, registered, updated, and made a new canopy for the framework.

I did buy a few extra framework poles, and have the ability for a 1 man canopy, with front end open for casting, for solo trips. the entire set-up takes about 6 min. and tear down about 2 min. well worth it to have the ability to lounge all day without the sun burnin the skin up.

took it out a few times, and caught 1/2 dozen Trouts, that were cleaned and ate. caught one small bass just casting at one edge of a lake. definetly a nice addition for my weekends and vaca's near flagstaff.

GeordyBass
07-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Well spent a few weeks up at the vacation spot, and remember the photo on post 1,

well here is the result of some minimal effort

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dragonrpc/IMG00165.jpg

got the trailer, boat, registered, updated, and made a new canopy for the framework.

I did buy a few extra framework poles, and have the ability for a 1 man canopy, with front end open for casting, for solo trips. the entire set-up takes about 6 min. and tear down about 2 min. well worth it to have the ability to lounge all day without the sun burnin the skin up.

took it out a few times, and caught 1/2 dozen Trouts, that were cleaned and ate. caught one small bass just casting at one edge of a lake. definetly a nice addition for my weekends and vaca's near flagstaff.
Not too shabby...Looks like a nice one man boat 4 me!

dragonrpc
07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
thanks,

I am considering making a removable deck on the front half. if you look closely at the center of the boat, that would be the (1 man) canaopy point, so it would leave the front end and 2nd seat open, to put a deck on the front. I am a little worried about changing the center of gravity, as the alum frame work already amplifies any side-to-side movement.

I have osme old plywood I may give it a shot next time I'm up there.