PDA

View Full Version : need help on my rod and reel setup please with some pix

brianw
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi, my friend is taking me on a charter boat on next Sunday.. and im preparing to bring a new rod and reel to fish, i have been fishing for a while now but i all got are some newbie gears , would you guys please help me and give me some advice? Thanks

my friend told me to get a rod , brand name is Vfox , its very light and sensitive but strong and he suggested me to get Shimano Trinidad 16/20 .. but i dun think i can afford them at the moment.. so im lookin for a cheaper alt but better rod/reel than my current gears

here are my gears

http://i30.tinypic.com/ilyweg.jpg

i have done some research online here are my favorite so far
Rod
http://i30.tinypic.com/2i9icyb.jpg

reels
Daiwa Reels:
Daiwa Saltist
Conventional Saltwater Reels
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tackle_2007_352528196

Shimano Torium Reels
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tackle_2007_318545268

Shimano Tekota Reels
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tackle_2007_318055229

Do i realli need to go for Trinidad ? what he suggested was about $700 ish reel/rod combo which a little bit over my budget =( or the reels/rod i search works too? i normally fish on party boat, like bonitos, calico and things like that, rarely got hit by huge fish

Thanks a lot =)

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-16-2008, 11:26 AM
the saltlist and toriums are good reels and seekers are great rods depends on the model. id go with the torium on a 9ft jig stick.

THROWBACK RANGER
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
you dont need a trinidad, the toriums are the same except the price and a couple minor differences. seekers are choice! if you get a torium 20 try it with a seeker 6480. thats a great rod to start throwing jigs and for fly lining sardines for yellows, or tuna! those abu garcias you got will work for sand bass and calico bass. if you got any more questions pm me!

Funjunkie74
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Well, I have to chime in on this one.

No, you do not have to get a Trinidad!!
I generally will advise anyone who is just getting into the sport to start from a "good" product level, rather than jump the gun and go ballz out!!

Depending on the target species, your choice of rod/reel will vary.
I personally enjoy fishing light line (such as the Abu Garcias you already have) with a nice inshore rod (Seeker Inshore, Shimano Terramar or Kencor QNZ-IS800). This set up will take care of 90% of the fishing you'll be doing. (Line 15# ~ 20#)

Target Species: Sand Bass, Calico Bass, Sculpin, Shallow rockfish, barracuda and anything else inshore.

For something like yellow tails and tuna, which is a whole different genre, I would suggest something like a Saltist, Avet SX or MXJ, Okuma CT-20...price range $100~200 (without line). These reels will handle 20#~30# line and allow you to have fun with the bigger fish.
A good rod for these are something like Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tigers, Seeker American and Kencor GPOS series (7ft rods in the $100~$150 range).

If you are comfortable with longer jig sticks to cast out, then Graphite USA, Seeker, Calstars and Kencors....all have 8ft, 9ft jig sticks. At this point its about your comfort level and credit limit!

Bottom line, if this is your first time, then I would highly recommend going to your local tackle shop and try out some of these rods in the store. Talk to the people in the shop. Since you don't have time, I would have suggest going out on a 3/4-day trip and see what other people have...but your trip is coming up soon.

The best thing to do is not to over-stretch yourself on your budget...remember the fish don't care what gear you're using!!

Good Luck!
FJ74

p.s. What boat are you going out on this weekend??

brianw
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, I have to chime in on this one.

No, you do not have to get a Trinidad!!
I generally will advise anyone who is just getting into the sport to start from a "good" product level, rather than jump the gun and go ballz out!!

Depending on the target species, your choice of rod/reel will vary.
I personally enjoy fishing light line (such as the Abu Garcias you already have) with a nice inshore rod (Seeker Inshore, Shimano Terramar or Kencor QNZ-IS800). This set up will take care of 90% of the fishing you'll be doing. (Line 15# ~ 20#)

Target Species: Sand Bass, Calico Bass, Sculpin, Shallow rockfish, barracuda and anything else inshore.

For something like yellow tails and tuna, which is a whole different genre, I would suggest something like a Saltist, Avet SX or MXJ, Okuma CT-20...price range $100~200 (without line). These reels will handle 20#~30# line and allow you to have fun with the bigger fish.
A good rod for these are something like Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tigers, Seeker American and Kencor GPOS series (7ft rods in the $100~$150 range).

If you are comfortable with longer jig sticks to cast out, then Graphite USA, Seeker, Calstars and Kencors....all have 8ft, 9ft jig sticks. At this point its about your comfort level and credit limit!

Bottom line, if this is your first time, then I would highly recommend going to your local tackle shop and try out some of these rods in the store. Talk to the people in the shop. Since you don't have time, I would have suggest going out on a 3/4-day trip and see what other people have...but your trip is coming up soon.

The best thing to do is not to over-stretch yourself on your budget...remember the fish don't care what gear you're using!!

Good Luck!
FJ74

p.s. What boat are you going out on this weekend??

actually my friend's own boat .. he told me we will be heading to Catalina for this time =) i live in long beach/seal beach area, any good tackle shops that gives good deal? do they even have seeker and these reel in stock normally?

brianw
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for u guys' advices
mm..
i notice there is something different in the middle between these two reels
i dunno what does it called .. the silver bar in the middle? whats it hehe
Shimano Torium Reels and Shimano Tekota Reels

Thanks

DavidE
06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Dude, Saltist 20 matched on a Seeker 858 or Teramar TMC80M. Put 200 yards of braid and 30-50 yards of mono. Way awesome set-up and won't break the bank. That set up should run Saltist 20 $159.99 Teramar TMC-80M $149.99. Braid and mono $30-$40 +/-. The Seeker is a little more like $219.00.

Either way good starting point and will handle inshore species nicely. Those 6600 you got are awesome Bone catchers!!!!!!!!

That Dang Guy
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
A torium 16 is plenty to go for fighting yellowtail/wsb at catalina now. Go for spectra and a topshot to make up for the capacity. The rod really depends how specific you want to go. Some of the rods mentioned in 8 ft would be ideal. This also doubles as your deep water rig.

A trinidad is much more expensive and definitely not the route to go for your first setup. With the money you saved, buy a second rod for one of your current reels to fish 15lb line for calicos and sand bass locally or on the edges of the kelp at catalina. Those two setups should be plenty for your local stuff.

Think versatility first and then you can specialize your gear.

I have a Vfox that i got for my birthday and it's one of my most used rods. I use it with a Curado 300 for most of my inshore applications.

Bobbyk
06-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Calstar 800m and a newell 332

Cangler
06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
That ABU 6000 is plenty enough for occasional boat trips ...

brianw
06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for everyone advice..
today i will be heading out to gather the stuff from the tackle shop i think
already been to seal beach and the one called performace tackle, gonna go check out the one in hungtington beach today =)

Thanks

Re8elmonk0341
06-17-2008, 05:13 PM
I love my Saltist and terramar combo...I just don'tlike the reel clamp it hurts my wrist hahahahaha. but its a great set up. I also like the Diawa Sealine 20 (I think it's the SLH model) with a 8' Graftec 15-25 a little over 200 but one of my fav setup.

I just bought a Newell S220-5 what would ya'll recommend I put that on?

IslandBoi
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I have my Abu 6000 on a Berkley Lightning Rod 7'0 17# Trilene XT line ... going to try it out on my next trip next Thursday on the So. Cal..... I think it should be good enough for slaying those sand bass & calicos .....

I also have a Penn baitcaster w/Penn Big Eye rod w/25lb big game line, works great as well.....

ONEKID
06-18-2008, 09:02 AM
you don't need 8 ft or 9ft rods on a private boat. i don't think your ready to cast lures yet so i recommend - calstar 700m w/ torium 20. that should cost you about $380 for the set. this set up will last you a long long time so think of if as a long term investment and will handle anything big to small that catalina can throw at you. you won't ever need to upgrade/replace this set up. you will just need to add to it as your skill level allows you to.

Cangler
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I have my Abu 6000 on a Berkley Lightning Rod 7'0 17# Trilene XT line ... going to try it out on my next trip next Thursday on the So. Cal..... I think it should be good enough for slaying those sand bass & calicos .....

I also have a Penn baitcaster w/Penn Big Eye rod w/25lb big game line, works great as well.....

Really those ABU 6000's can handle anything as long as you have a metal spool....

Stormcrow
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
the saltlist and toriums are good reels and seekers are great rods depends on the model. id go with the torium on a 9ft jig stick.

I agree with Larry. Although you may want to consider saving for a trinidad narrow special if you can. A 9ft jig stick would be perfect too.

Daus
06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
$700ish for your first "inshore" combo? Make sure to slap your buddy with some hefty 9 inch sardines couple times before you set sail on his boat. Sheesh!

I recommend calstar 700L or 800L rather than 700m or 800m if you are mainly gonna fish inshore. My wife puts a beating on 20-35lb albacores on her custom wrapped 700L grafighters, so the "L" rated sticks should provide enough backbone for any inshore species, including WSB and YT at the islands. Anything heavier will take the fight out of fishing.

Any of those reels are fine but like most people stated earlier, go with a combo that fits your budget and targeted species. You don't need a trinidad or an accurate for inshore unless you are narcissistic like me.

victor101
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I know a guy on here is selling a torium 16 on the classifieds...check it out
Im sure he will cut you a deal

IslandBoi
06-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Really those ABU 6000's can handle anything as long as you have a metal spool....

It's a metal spool.....I'm going to bring my baitcaster just in case, but I'm sure I'll do all right, should have some nice fights too, especailly if I hook up on a 6#+

Rubble
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for u guys' advices
mm..
i notice there is something different in the middle between these two reels
i dunno what does it called .. the silver bar in the middle? whats it hehe
Shimano Torium Reels and Shimano Tekota Reels

Thanks

That is the level-wind feature which is handy if your Rockfishing,but hinders casting......Go with the Saltist 20/30 or Torium in same sizes......

BiggetyBones
06-18-2008, 09:15 PM
For your first real setup, no need to go straight ho from the get go!

Will most of your fishing be from your buddy's private boat? If so, I'd agree with several others in that you should probably be looking for a 7'er. My personal favorite are Calstars. Like Daus said, the GF700L would fit the bill nicely. I'd pair it with a Saltist 20 and you'd be stylin!

If you plan on splitting time between fishing your buddy's private boat and fishing party boats, I'd definitely look into buying an 8'er. Same deal, I'd go with the Calstar Grafighter 800L/800M (cork tape), same reel Saltist 20/30.

Best deals can be had if you opt to buy used. You can find excellent condition rods and reels that are used. Check the classifieds on this board and other like fishing message boards. Craigslist is also a good place to search for gear. With the amount of money you'll pay for one brand new setup, you could possibly buy 2 full used setups for the same $$$.

Good luck man!

BiggetyBones

dockboy
06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
A Trinidad is an awesome,awesome reel...but way too much to start off with. Go with either the Daiwa Saltist 20 or 30, or the Torium 20. They are excellent reels, and are really about the same reel design from different manufacturers. I fish the Saltists aand love them. My friends fishes the Toriums and loves'em. I'm just more prone to buy a Daiwa but they are both great reels.
Match it with one of the Seeker Americans or Calstar West Coast rods. They are both great rods. Something around 7' rated for 15-30lb is fine for our local inshore and party boast fishing. For the Seeker Americans, a model that would similiar (slightly lighter on the ratings..12-25) would be the 870. Both great rods. I love the Seeker Black Steel Series also, as they and the Grafighters are what I use. I don't remember the model designation on the 7' light for the Black Steel but check'em out. It is an incredible multi purpose rod.
If you want to spend more, buy one of the Teramar series from Shimano for the Abu. In the 7'6" or 8 medium models you can fish anything you want out here for inshore. I use the Okuma Swimbait rods that I have for my bass swimbaits in freshwater. They are very similiar to the Teramar regarding action and backbone. I bring two with me out here in SoCal: one setup with something along the lines of a 7'6" MH swimbait stick with 15lb on a Shimano Cardiff 300, and a 7'6"-8' H swimbait stick with 20lb on a Shimano Cardiff 400. Between those two and a 20-25lb Seeker setup, I can do just about anything for the local saltwater scene.