PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day weekend in the Sierras

RL-IN-OC
06-16-2008, 07:34 AM
We headed up to Mammoth on Thursday, June 12th, traffic through L.A. was really lite. Stopped in Bishop, for gas ($4.60 at the Paiute Station) and caffeine. got into Mammoth around 1:00 am.

Our first stop was one of our favorite lakes, I'm sure most of you will know from the pic. around 9:30am. The beach side was pretty full, so we went over to the road/rocky side.
The trout were wide open on lures, we used Thomas Bouyants, Rapalas and Kastmasters. The red/gold, rainbow trout and firetiger patterns worked really well. C/R'd over 25 fish in a 2 hr span. Including 2 Beautiful browns that will live to swim another day. Trout ranged from 12" to 15", nice sturdy, hard fighting fish. The wind picked up around 11:30, so we packed it up.

We stopped for lunch at the Mobil Gas Station for lunch, and to say Hey to Matt. His special for the day was a Mahi Burger. It had to be the best Mahi burger I have ever had, especially at 8000 ft, and hours from the ocean. If you are ever in the area, stop by and check out this 'gem' in the sierras. Great food and friendly atmosphere.

After lunch, we headed up the Tioga pass to check out Saddlebag and Tioga Lakes. The road to Saddleback was still closed. I here he is going to open on June 21st. We headed to our favorite spot at Tioga. Made our way through the lite snow pack over to the dam. The fishing was great, My dad and his friend were soaking night crawlers with great success. My brother and I went ontop of the dam to try and spot some fish. We had really good action tossing a Rainbow patterned kastmaster. When we hooked up, we quickly ran back across the dam and shore landed it near the spillway. What a blast! The biggest fish that evening was a 1.5 lb, 18" fish. Got our limits, and C/R'd over 20 fish.

Weather: 85 degrees, blue sky, light winds to 5 mph.

Till next time.....

christainmetalhead909
06-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Wow Love The Last Pic. Congrats.

SoCalGuy7
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Sweet trip I haven't been to Tioga since I was a kid.....

besttimespent
06-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Those are some good looking rainbows. I like the picture of the lake but don't know that one. Can you tell me which one it is or it's location. i also love it when we C&R. save it for the next generation.

Thanks - BTS

RL-IN-OC
06-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi BTS, the pics are from Lundy, north of Lee Vining. One from the parking lot, the other from one of my 'spots'.

Brian_GSC
06-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Great pix!

The Mobile Station ROCKS! I usually get the lobster taquitos and at least 2 pitchers of mango margaritas!

jfreud
06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
RL in OC,

Did you happen to fish Ellery? Ellery and Tioga have to be two of my favorite lakes to fish in that area. Also did you stop at the Tioga Pass Resort it is a great little gift shop/restaurant?

JFreud

RL-IN-OC
06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
JFreud,

No, we did not fish Ellery, I have not fished it in years, I have had such good luck on the backside of Tioga. On the pass, we usually stick to Tioga and Saddlebag lakes. Maybe I'll give it another try, I have friends that fish the other side of Ellery all the time, and catch alot. I have never been to the shop/restaurant, I always try to save my appetite for the Mobil Station. Where else can you get blackend seared ahi and lobster taquitos in the mountains? My mouth is watering, I already miss it...

Sparky70
06-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Lucky U:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

troutdog
06-18-2008, 01:35 AM
What a great way to spend the weekend, looks like you found some quality bows....congrats! Nice pics btw.

TD