PDA

View Full Version : 6/13/08 Balboa Pier

bigfishlittlefish
06-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Before fishing the 5 of us had an early dinner @ Ruby's. We couldn't resist the smell of frying bacon wafting down the pier so we ate first before fishing. Needless to say several of us had bacon as part of our meal.

Fished around 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM with my wife's cousin & his son, Austin. Photos were taken by my daughter who did not fish. Active fishermen (we held onto our poles) - Austin & myself. Passive fishermen (they did not hold onto their poles) - my wife & her cousin. Non-fisherperson - my daughter, the cell phone photographer.

Final count:
Austin - 8 macks (several >1') on cut macks (caught last year) on #10 snelled hooks
me - <3" mack & a smelt on a sabiki & a 4" mack on a Krocodile.
cousin - farmed >1' mack on a sabiki that happened to be in the water.

The following pix are Austen and some of his catch:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/bigfishlittlefish_photos/2008-06-133.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/bigfishlittlefish_photos/2008-06-135.jpg
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/bigfishlittlefish_photos/2008-06-136.jpg

As you can see Austin's a natural fisherman. This was his 1st time saltwater fishing. The only other time was bass fishing in a friend's backyard pond around St. Louis. Trying to talk his dad into going on a 1/2 day boat.

Others were catching macks on shrimp and on cut macks. My wife said someone caught an octopus in a crab net. On the way back, I snooped in a bucket of someone fishing the surf line & saw a number of barred surf perches.

bflf

BIGRED KILLA
06-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice macks thanks for the pics and report. I bet theres some T around there with all that bait in the water.

Bigred

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-14-2008, 05:50 PM
nice job...some good fun...try dragging the bottom out there next time with some cut mack or chovies and dines....mr halibut should be lurking..

Looks like a memorable day..
Congrats,
Gary

BingJr
06-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Nice job on the macks,

I will need to be sending Seng out there to catch us some fresh Mr. Whiskers bait!

J-RODsmhs
06-15-2008, 01:00 AM
nice job...some good fun...try dragging the bottom out there next time with some cut mack or chovies and dines....mr halibut should be lurking..

Looks like a memorable day..
Congrats,
Gary
ya. but the only thing about fishing for anything worthwhile on the pier is having to bring it up. catching it is the easy part. but hey, i know it's possible.i just rather go out on a boat ya know.

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-15-2008, 01:38 AM
ya. but the only thing about fishing for anything worthwhile on the pier is having to bring it up. catching it is the easy part. but hey, i know it's possible.i just rather go out on a boat ya know.
Thats simple...just get a lobster hoop net and land them in that...theyre only about 20 bucks...or a pier gaff would work

samgann93
06-15-2008, 08:27 AM
nice maks.

Billy Bass
06-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Nice size macks for Balboa pier! Next time try using fresh cut mackeral instead of year old frozen- you'll get a lot more hook ups.