PDA

View Full Version : Gill Nets at West Cove!

blackfish
06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Got this from another website

Thought I would spread the word.

http://www.976-tuna.com/e107_plugins/landing/audio.php?btrack.143.1213315323

Here is the reply to one of the BD'ers e-mail.

Dr. Larry Allen replied with attached subsequent publications. Here is his reponse.

This scientific gill netting has always been under contract to the California Department of Fish and Game and has been required BY LAW by the California Coastal Commission since 1985. It is required under the permit to release white seabass from the Carlsbad Hatchery (and capture and hold brood stock). Almost 3/4s of the total recovered hatchery fish have come from releases at Catalina Harbor indicating how absolutely essential this sampling was. In truth, these are small meshed (1" to 2" mesh) nets designed to capture juvenile white seabass. We catch almost no large white seabass. They catch other small species for sure, but by-catch is minimal due to small mesh and short length (150' of each net). We set eight, small nets for necessary replication. Our nets, even combined, are much smaller and shorter than the commercial nets which used to plunder the nearshore areas, daily, prior to 1994.

We have learned a great deal from this long-term monitoring program. I have attached three of our publications based on the data collected.

This critical 13 year sampling is now ending. CF&G has cut the program due to lack of funding. June 2008 was the last trip. After this, we will not have any idea what is going on out there.
Northridge, CA 91330-8303
Phone: (818) 677-3356
FAX: (818) 677-2034
larry.allen@csun.edu
Nearshore Marine Fish Research Program at CSUN

buttface
06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
I read this on Bloody Decks. Although I can appreciate that they want to see how healthy the fishery is there has to be a better way of figuring that out. I have seen specials on Discovery where scientists will use a good ol rod and reel to catch fish and make determinations. Someone else made a good point that they are also doing this right during/after spwaning season which seems kinda dumb to me. Hope they find a better way of doing this in the future.

THROWBACK RANGER
06-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Tino rocks!!! the sad part to me is the company i work for has a contract to take these idiot scientist back and fort to two harbors on mondays and fridays. i cant stand them. i try to b.s. with them and its like im not good enough to b.s. with. anyway you should see all the short lobsters they have at THE WRIGLEY INSTITUTE. talking to their dock hands they tell me they snorkle there in the refuge and every now and again they shoot short seabass ( black and white) yellowtail and sheephead. and they always get bugs year round! WTF OVER? this mourning i took them across and i didnt say a word to them. FTP'S!!!! THE ONLY COOL THING ABOUT THAT JOB IS IM AT THE ISLAND TWICE A WEEK AND WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE WATER AT THEIR DOCK THERE IS ALWAYS A SCHOOL OF 4, 5, AND 6 POUND CALICO'S LOOKING RIGHT UP AT ME. I WONDER IF THEY ARE EVEN STUDYING ANYTHING BECAUSE ITS LIKE A DISNEYLAND FOR SCIENTISTS OVER THERE. THEY HAVE EVERYTHING BUT FAST FOOD THERE! REALLY EVERYTHING! DONT GET ME WRONG IM NOT HATING ON THE PEOPLE, I JUST HATE HOW THEY THINK THEY OWN CATALINA! BUT ENOUGH ABOUT WORK, IM GOING FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!