PDA

View Full Version : 6-11-08 NPH with pictures

bergie berg
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Short report: Great day in Newport Harbor, fished on the low tide from the M street dock out to the bait barge for some C&R on sandies, calicos, spoties, 2 legal halibut, and quite a few short white sea bass (all caught by the bait barge). Used Gulp Jerk Shads and 3 inch bit hammers in key lime.

Long report: Started out at about nine, launched out of the beach by the M Street dock and threw three inch big hammers along the docks for numerous short bites and misses, I landed a small sandie and my dad broke one off in the weeds. When we got to the barge my dad started throwing the jerk shad and first cast he goes bendo and brings up what appeared to be a short white sea bass, but he lost it before we got a good look. Next cast he gets nailed again!!! This time he brings it to the kayak and it was a nice little white sea bass. I switch to the jerk shad and for the next half hour we are tearing it up, either getting short bit or hooking short white sea bass on almost every cast. Between the two of us we got about seven or eight to the kayak, and lost many more. When that slowed down I started bouncing a 3 inch big hammer along the bottom and I get nailed, a few runs later I bring a nice halibut to the kayak. Half an hour later, I hook another legal halibut about the same size, snap a few pictures and send him on his way. I did not have a tape measure but I would guess they were somewhere in between 22-25 inches. Mixed in and amongst all of this was a steady pick on calicos, sandies, and spotties. Off the water by 1:15, needless to say a great few hours of fishing. All fish were caught and released, enjoy the pictures. The first two halibut pics are the same fish fish and the third picture is a different fish.

p.s. If any of you guys see us in our gray tandem malibu kayak while you are out there don't hesitate to say hi, we are always looking for new fishing buddies.

BupkAngler
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice Halis!! Going out there this weekend hope i have the same luck!

samgann93
06-11-2008, 08:56 PM
nice job in the harbor!

dirthead
06-12-2008, 02:32 AM
thanks for the report. you guys should fish in the plastic navy event there on the 21st.

TARHEEL15
06-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Good job, really nice fish! I fished from the M street dock Sunday and was handed the skunk, but I did see a 27" halibut pulled outta there.

steve092
06-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Nice Hali.

Wingnut
06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Good stuff there, very well done in the harbor. :Thumbs Up: