PDA

View Full Version : Question. Replacing bunks on trailer.

Daryl
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm going to replace the bunks on my trailer for the first time. I plan to launch the boat and be free to work on the bunks (2x4). I'm thinking I need to countersink the top of the bunk and use carriage bolts (stainless or galvanized?) along with a nylock nuts on the underside. should I fill the counter-sunk hole with anything (sealant?) to prevent water from sitting in there? From there, I wrap the bunks with marine carpet and use stainless staples to fasten it down? Am I missing anything here?

Thanks
Daryl

diamondbear
06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Last year i bought a new trailer , but before i did that i replaced my bed rails and new carpet . the old wood rails were pressure treated wood to withstand the moister better but after i replaced with P.T. Wood i could have used some of that new pvc lumber being used now on fences instead of wood . but ethier way look into pessure treated wood first . if you dont use the right wood then your wasting your time on everything else . my rails on my new trailer are some sort of heavy plastic [ i think ] , good luck