PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra General info

spartafish
06-11-2008, 01:27 PM
heading up there friday to monday and was wondering if you guys could give some tips. we'll be staying in bishop. plan on hitting the following :

Owens River at Laws Bridge (where is Laws Bridge, keep reading about it but cant find it)
Bishop Creek Canyon, Intake II to Sabrina outlet (any particular stops we should take?)
Sabrina and/or North and/or South Lakes (which would you recommend?)

And are there any particular spots between Bishop and Mammoth we should pay particular attention too, like any creeks.

Might hit convict or crowley, too

Bringing berkley trout worms, gulp power eggs, salmon eggs, assorted spinners. any tips in terms of particular baits or lures anyone would like to recommend would be appreciated as well.

Parking? is there a pass or a fee for packing creekside or at most lakes?

last thing... i'm driving from the north, driving through mammoth and meeting my family in bishop (they're driving from the south). i'll have several hours to kill in mammoth before finishing the drive to meet them, if there was one spot youd fish in the mammoth area, where would it be? (i have a float tube)

THANKS in advance to everyone who can help me out

jmurillo74
06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
If you have time to kill at Mammoth try lower Twin, there are a couple of good spots right off the road before you get to the footbridge. Also I have most of my luck at Lake George. As far as fishing between Bishop and Mammoth I like Pleasant Valley Resevoir and Rock Creek Lake. Good luck.

Big Country
06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Stop in the June Loop instead. Have some lunch at the Tiger Bar and put your float tube in at Gull Lake (2 minutes away). Ask someone where to turn to get to the back (west side) of the lake and go in there on your tube. Fish the tullies in the corner to your left (if you are facing the lake) and have fun.

Power worms, lures, etc. - set your drag loose and hold on!!!

samgann93
06-11-2008, 09:03 PM
lot of great places to fish up there. one of the best is the river.
the last part of the river before it goes into crowley is wear i like.
i fish it with split shotted power worms usually in red.

also twin lakes, and virginia lakes are my favorites.

for virginia try chartreuse power worms but cast way past the weedline.
its garenteed fish.

for twin lakes try some jigs in the yellow/white, and chart. color.

GOOD LUCK.
S/G

Koshaw
06-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Trout Dog and his daughter were catching 30+ a day I believe at South Lake.

They lost track after 30+ lol.

I am heading up there June 17-23.

=^^=

Rubble
06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Bishop Creek Canyon,
Definitely(see my Post).....
Panther ,Martins(Black & whatever),Eggs.

Convict,around the trail on So.side as far as you can towards inlet....
Bouyants,Kastmasters,Crawlers & PB.

one spot youd fish in the mammoth area, where would it be? (i have a float tube)

Mamie,near the Spillway..........Early or Late..............
Bubble/Fly,Bouyants,KM's...or bounce baits off the bottom in the deeper spots.

Good Luck & Have a Great time.......!!!!!

DaFish
06-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Great Post I will be up there this weekend and will try Mamie w/my tube. It is not very deep and feels like you are in a big swimming pool with fishing under u. I will try to find that spillway. I know there is a big rock in the middle of the lake that holds fish.

I like to use Orange double double pb or I believe anything orange works good at Crowley.
It contrasts with the green well.

I would say go to inlets and outlets of the lakes. And one thing if you can see the fish they can see you so I learned you sometimes have to hide or stay low if you are fishing from shore. Stay out of their vision or they will shy away.

In the Sierra's I would like to try Thomas Buoyants and power worms more this time.

But when things are tough i will be bring up some 2 inch red worms that I could not find up there. I like to put them on with one salmon egg on a 14 or 12 owners hook.

Also i like to use Rainbow pb rolled into a worm and dip it into Nitro gravy in garlic or anise

goodluck up there the weather should be good this weekend but on the hot side in Bishop

Badfish2
06-11-2008, 11:56 PM
heading up there friday to monday and was wondering if you guys could give some tips. we'll be staying in bishop. plan on hitting the following :

Owens River at Laws Bridge (where is Laws Bridge, keep reading about it but cant find it)
Bishop Creek Canyon, Intake II to Sabrina outlet (any particular stops we should take?)
Sabrina and/or North and/or South Lakes (which would you recommend?)

And are there any particular spots between Bishop and Mammoth we should pay particular attention too, like any creeks.

Bringing berkley trout worms, gulp power eggs, salmon eggs, assorted spinners. any tips in terms of particular baits or lures anyone would like to recommend would be appreciated as well.

Parking? is there a pass or a fee for packing creekside or at most lakes?

last thing... i'm driving from the north, driving through mammoth and meeting my family in bishop (they're driving from the south). i'll have several hours to kill in mammoth before finishing the drive to meet them, if there was one spot youd fish in the mammoth area, where would it be? (i have a float tube)

THANKS in advance to everyone who can help me out

Check out my report above.. It has pictures loaded of a lot of the spots you're talking about. Laws bridge is north of bishop off of Hwy 6. You can't miss it. Doesn't say laws on the bridge, you are looking for the bridge that crosses the owens, park there, walk to the right of the hwy if you're headed north. The photos i took were at that spot, use that rainbow bouyant just before dark, if it's still light out.. and bright, use tear drop gold red thomas bouyants.

Size will be biggest out of Intake 2 ..but quanities will be higher at Sabrina. South is hit and miss... bring mesquito juice if you visit north lake.

Biggest fish have been coming out of Convict and Gull this year, a few 10lbers coming out of Gull and many 7lb range out of convict. Fish early morning at convict with lures .. bouyants or rapalas or crappie jigs within 20 feet of shore, get the bait down.. it drops off quick at convict. Make sure you fish early morning, or right at sunset almost dark.

retired/lasd
06-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Regarding the location of the Owens River at Laws Bridge, Go north on Hwy 6 from the 395 about 3 miles. The river goes under the hwy at the bridge. The Lower Owens is running too fast right now for good fishing..

Badfish2
06-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Regarding the location of the Owens River at Laws Bridge, Go north on Hwy 6 from the 395 about 3 miles. The river goes under the hwy at the bridge. The Lower Owens is running too fast right now for good fishing..

I caught an easy limit right there at Laws Bridge just fine with the current water levels. See report