PDA

View Full Version : Reel & line suggestions.

jmurillo74
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Alright guys need some help here, I am looking to upgrade my reel and switch to 2 lb. fluorocarbon this year before I head up to the Sierras. I am strictly a trout fisherman and I use a 5'6" Berkley Lightning rod. The last few years I have been using a Quantam SX20F reel that really did not hold up that well, but it did get the job done. What do you guys suggest reel wise in the $50-$100 range and what type of 2lb. fluorocarbon do you guys suggest. Thanks for the input.

Simplyeman
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
i really like my diawa regal...if youre going to use it stricly for trout get the 1500 series.

aboos
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
shimano symetre 750

Crawler
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I have fished cheap UL spinning reels for all of my life. I recently picked up a plueger president in the smallest size. It is by far the smoothest, nicest reel I have ever used. I strongly reccomend them. They run about $50-60.

Koshaw
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
You may also want to try Maxima Ultra Green, or Izorline 2lb test.

They are very very strong and top out maybe at 3-4.

:D

I personally have fished with Izorline and have not had a fish yet break my line...underwater obstructions yes...but not fish.

I myself, am trying maxima 2lb and PLine fluorocarbon this trip up next tuesday to the Sierras.

Izorline of course as well.

Best of luck and Tight Lines!

samgann93
06-10-2008, 09:04 PM
i strictly fish 2lb p-line in the sierra's.

and as far as reels im gonna be trying to get a phlugar president.
its an amazing reel.

greeper
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Izorline XXX 2lb, by far IMHO the strongest 2lb line. I've used many of the brands and it beats all of them with Max. 3lb close behind. Remember this just an opinion I've formed from many experiences I've had. I was referred to this line by FNT and he was dead on..

DaFish
06-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I like the 2lb Pline CXX Xtra strong in the Moss green color. This stuff is strong and i have a whole 3000 yards. I also have 6000 yards of the XXX Izorline 2lb line. Both are good but for strength the Pline is stronger. I caught several of the 3lber Utah's at LNL and found that the Pline is stronger. One thing about the 3lbers Nebraska's at LNL they are some tough fish and hard to land on 2lb line even the pline it has to be fresh and i am even thinking about the 3lb Maxima next year. That is if you ever go there sometime.

I would use the extra spool to put on some 4lb Pline to throw lures.

I use a quantum Incyte IT10F they are about $50 at sport chalet I prefer it to by abu garcia 300u's because of the drags

But for $20 to 25 i use the Quantum Optix 10. It is cheap and may last a few seasons but can really sing. This is the loudest reel i ve heard so far. I really like it when a big fish hits and this thing screams away. Mostly you have to mail order this.

I know Turners is having a sale on the Shimano Sedona's, Symetre's right now. They are good reels in the 750 size. for $40 to 70. But they might be selling out. But Sport Chalet is having the same sale and should be instock. I would check sport chalet they usually have reels on sale most of the year since the economy is slow.

tpfishnfool
06-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I have tried al the line brands and have found Seaguar Invisx the best. Great stuff and it lasts a good while for floro. Shimano Stratic or Semetre for a great reel. 1000 series.

TrailerTrout
06-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I've used the okuma TCP californian modle 20 for the last few years and have been very happy with them. I think they are special made for Turner's Outdoorsman. When they go on sale you can pick them up for between $50 and $60 bucks. There are a cou[ple of variations: one more compact than the other which can come in handy if you are fishing tight areas along any of the numerous streams in the area. I usually go with 2-4# Maxima or P-line clear. Hope this helps. I also like Stren Lo-Vis for my leader line.
Good Luck

-TrailerTrout

bsp
06-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Shimano Symetre 750 for 2lb line. Use 2lb P-line CXX.

pescado abajo
06-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I would also say the symetre 750. It's on sale for $70 everywhere (Turner's, Bass Pro...).
As for the line, I use either 3 lb Maxima or 2 lb Pline.
Good luck.

MAN VS WILD
06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
2lb P-Line the best.

craznazn
06-11-2008, 09:55 PM
A nice and inexpensive ultra light reels are the Abu-Garcia Cardinal 100 series. They run about $30 and drags are smooth. Line wise, I just bought some Gamma copolymer and like it so far