PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Leo Hunting...

FisherManDingo
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I would like to take a stab at sharking, but havn't really ever gone before. What should I know before I decide to go? Tackle...what time in the day to go...approx. where to go (I dont want any secret spots or anything, just a general area)...and what kind of bait. I know more or less what kind of tackle to use, but would like to hear other peoples opinions because thats how we all learn. Thanks Guys!

pipelayer5150
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
seal beach is a good spot use a med/heavy surf pole with a good sized (2-4 oz) weight with a small barred surf perch for bait of chuncked mackeral lob it way out there on a heavy tidal swing pref incoming in my oppinion.

FisherManDingo
06-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks You!

legacy1
06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I have caught only three in the past year...

all on squid...with 8lb. test, in the surf break.

Owner 4-0 circle hooks...squid strips...2 caught in the a.m., one at dusk.

That has been my experience, catching them has been somewhat random.

All caught between the Wedge and Balboa Pier.

slief
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Make sure you release those Leos if you catch any!! They are beautiful fish and not worth eating IMO..

On that note, I have caught many Leos.. All on squid, in the surf area. Any sandy beach between Santa Monica and Malibu is pretty good. If there is structure/rocks nearby, that can also help. We would normally go late at night. In the early winter, the baby ones are all over the place.. Beyond that, its hit and miss. Have caught them up to 4' long surf fishing.. Don't be surprised when you find yourself catching more Guitar fish than Leos though.. Good luck on the hunt!

JSAUCE818
06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
SAMO,...
bait?: PERCH

KaliDawgFan
06-11-2008, 06:05 PM
medium heavy or heavy pole with 25 lb test line, and a half a mackeral for bait is what I used at Bolsa Chica

troutslayer05
06-13-2008, 07:59 PM
My buddy speared a 40 inch leo in about knee deep water...they cruise super close to shore