PDA

View Full Version : help

howardizzle
06-10-2008, 02:16 AM
is there some people that will just never overcome seasickness? i been on 1/2 day charter boats 4 times and each time i got erally sick, and i couldn't fish, i LOVE fishing and i reaally want to experience deep sea fishing, i tried the medicine, and the bracelets,and looking out in the distance...is there anyone that suffered the same problem and overcame it? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cap'n Ron
06-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Sorry to hear about the Motion of the Ocean gettin to ya. I was 9 when I had my first and only bout of Motion sickness. And to add insult to injury, we were on a lake. Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota. Got caught out in the middle by a big blower. Waves got up to 4ft. Ol' man decided we were gonna troll through this schtuff. I hooked up and in between yanking and cranking I was puking my guts up. Did land a nice 12.9 oz walleye.

4 times out and still not adjusted? Keep trying or adjust to surf fishing. Freshwater may be the ticket for you. When I take my dogs to the lake on the boat they don't have any problems and fricking love being on the boat. They get out on the Ocean and these pure white dogs turn the funniest shade of green. Good thing I have the self bailing decks.

Go out on a couple of lakes and see how you do before going back on the Big Water. If you get sick on the lake then I would say your hosed for good. If not, you may have a chance to adapt to the Ocean.

4 for 4? Your a player dude. Stick it out and it may pay off.

p.s.
Your motion sickness meds need to be taken the night before you leave. Not the day of the trip.

DavidE
06-10-2008, 07:37 AM
p.s.
Your motion sickness meds need to be taken the night before you leave. Not the day of the trip.

This is some GREAT advice. Try the Scopolomine patch with a Bonine booster.

Take the Bonine 6-7 hours before you board the boat. Put the patch on 3-4 hours before. That way the meds are in your system by the time you're ready to fish.

Also have confidence the meds will work and don't think yourself into getting sick.

fish_sauce
06-10-2008, 08:02 AM
this topic comes up time and time again but i can't seem to find the previous threads on motion sickness...maybe a mod could make a sticky out of it?

When i first started jumping on charter boats i would get motion sickness all the time...every freaken time i went out...but heres a few important tips to keep in mind...it'll definitely help:

get plenty of rest the night before. don't drink alcohol or eat any spicy foods...

as far as motion sickness pills go...i find it more effective to take a pill the night before you go out...and another pill an hour or so before you jump on the boat...

buy ginger candy from asian supermarkets and chew moderately every hour or so. it really helps!

if you do have the urge to eat before you jump on the boat, make sure your meal is not overbearingly large...eat just enough to give you the energy you need for a day of fishing and don't overdo it...

maybe you can also make yourself some ginger tea to sip on. it helps to both prevent motion sickness...and gives you something to clean out the nasty aftertaste if you do end up yaking.

stash some tynenol and peptobismol in your tacklebox. They come in handy after you throw up.

if you start to feel woosy, do not isolate yourself inside the hull. stay near the middle of the ship but OUTSIDE where you'll get fresh air. You'll get the least motion in that area of the ship...

if you know that you have a motion sickness problem, wean yourself out of it with strictly 1/2 day trips and not 3/4 day trips.

Good luck!