PDA

View Full Version : Crowley 6/6 & 6/7 Trip

blacklab1
06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I went up to CROWLEY on Friday 6/6 and Saturday 6/7 with my 6 year old son and a friend with his boy. We took our 18 foot pontoon boat and fished about 7 hours per day.

Friday the wind blew in the morning but it was not all that cold so we trolled at 4 colors and got 4 rainbows in the pound and ahalf range. Black and white Rapala's and tasmanian devils in the 1/2 oz size "brown trout color" were the lures we used. We started fishing around 7:30AM and got the 4 fish in the first hour. The wind blew off and on all day but we were able to anchor in MCGEE and HILTON at different times and caught and released around 14 fish in the pound and ahalf range and kept 3 in the two pound range. RAINBOW CANDY GULP POWER BAIT and INFLATED CRAWLERS on 2 pound fluorocarbon line either on a small egg sinker or split shot with 2 foot leaders worked well.

Saturday the wind blew harder and it was colder in the morning. By about 11:00am the wind stopped and the lake was like glass. We trolled with no luck from 7:30 to 9:00AM then went to HILTON BAY from about 9:30 to 11:00am and caught and released 13 fish in the pound and ahalf range and kept 1 in the 2 pound range. after the wind stopped at 11:00am we headed back out trolling and caught 4 more rainbows in the 2 pound range which we kept and lost a nice BROWN that we got up to the boat but then it threw the lure it was nice 3 or 4 pounds and the bummer was that it was my friends 11 year old son's fish. We were using the same lures for trolling and the same bait when we anchored. We went back to HILTON around 2:00PM and caught a couple nice RAINBOWS in the 2 pound range and several in the pound to pound and ahalf range. The kids each caught 5 fish each and had a great time.

I have a fish finder on my boat and could tell that most of the fish were in the 20 to 25 foot range.

I hope this helps any body heading up to CROWLEY.

Drive safe and tight lines!

troutdog
06-10-2008, 12:21 AM
With reports like this BlackLab I sure wish you would post more often, thanks for the very detailed report. Seems like Crowley are kicking out some quality fish these days....thansk again for the solid info.

TD

one_leg
06-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Trolling from a pontoon is one of the coolest ways to fish!!!

The boys must have had a great time out there fishing with you guys!!!

Thanks for the post. It was a real nice one.

O_L

retired/lasd
06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
A side note about Crowley, normally on the opening weekend they charge you to drive to the Green Banks area when you enter off of Benton Crossing. I just came back from fishing the Upper Owens for a week and saw that they are still charging you 5.00 to enter from Benton Crossing. I guess the city of LA is doing whatever they can to put money in their budget.

blacklab1
06-10-2008, 08:36 AM
We had a great time. Besides the wind blowing it was perfect weather temps in the 70s.

I also should tell you all that CROWLEY still has very clear water, we could see down around 12 or maybe even 15 feet when pulling the anchors. That dreaded algee has not shown up yet. I would recommend FLUOROCARBON line to give you a little advantage with such clear water.

ZEBRA MUSSEL INSPECTION:

And if you are bring your boat up to CROWLEY you will need to get it inspected either at DWP in BISHOP between 9:00AM and 3:00PM or at CROWLEY anytime. We were staying in BISHOP so we just went straight to DWP when we got to BISHOP. I am sure most of you no about the inspections just make sure your boat is clean & dry "bilges, bait tanks, fenders, anchors, and trailer. They are very concerned about this crazy little mussel that would raise hell with the DWP and even the fish IN CROWLEY. The inspection takes 10 minutes.

DaFish
06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the report sounds pretty good 2lbs at this time.

fishrbouy
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
can't wait to get up there .........

thanks for your report .

I live in so-cal and use the taz- devils up there with great sucess.
Do you or anyone reading use them in more local waters ?

thxs again .........><> ><> ><> ><>