PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube Bait Tanks

calico killer kevin
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi, I will soon be purchasing a float tube and was wondering how to make a bait tank type thing that I will be dragging around. I have a few ideas but suggestions will greatly be appreciated. I was thinking of buying a mesh and tying it to a buoy type thing and dragging it around or just taking a regular sized bucket and punchuring holes into it and cover the holes with mesh to let the water flow through. There was this one thing I read about people in hawaii using bait tubes to hold skipjacks and such for hours. All it is is pvc piping covered with mesh at both sides and tying a rope to it attached to the boat. I am guessing that this will work with samller anchovies, sardines, smelt and mackerel. For suggestions I would prefer to be able to make it myself with little or no expensive equipment such as pumps. electronics, etc. I am pretty handy so this shouldn't be too hard.

Jikser
06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
try supermarket basket or milk crate (line it with vinyl door screen), wrap the top with pool noodle or cut a hole in an old boogie board large enuff to fit the basket. boogie board and ralph's basket works best.

LBSea
06-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Dude, just get one of the bait sleighs by Plano or Flambie. They are yellow and have a spring latch lid and are weighted so that that track right side up and are ready to go. The cost is between $12 - $15.00 dollars at Big-5, Turners and Sports Authority. I get about two dozen baits in my sleigh no problem. These are nice and light and go right in my 5 gal. bucket when I am heading home.

Tip: Don't make your tank too big, it creates too much drag especially when you are kicking against a current.

Doug

Brian_GSC
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of holes drilled into it. I ziptied some pipe insulation to the top to keep it floating.

It works well, and it is very easy to get bait in and out of it.

Ronira
06-16-2008, 02:54 PM
That seems like chumming from a tube dawg. :Shocked: You guys are scaring me.

jbacsaf
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
CKK, I forgot that I already made one for the tube I'm selling you. I can bring it when we meet so you can check it out.

jbacsaf
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
BTW, pm me your number so we can discuss the sale.

Brian_GSC
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
That seems like chumming from a tube dawg. :Shocked: You guys are scaring me.

Ha ha! The correct term is "shark donut" :ROFL:

I'd be lying if I said I never thought about getting munched by a shark. Life is too short to spend it worrying! :Envious: Get out there and fish! :Cool: