PDA

View Full Version : I need help on choosing some Waders

FisherManDingo
06-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, I needed some help on choosing some waders. I would like to get a pair, but just dont know where to start. Any suggestions? Thanks!

fish_sauce
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
do you have a budget you're working with?
what type of fishing are you planning to do? tubing? surf fishing?

I own a hodgman caster neoprene chest wader with the built-in insulated rubber boots...it keeps me nice and warm during the colder months...i use it strictly for surf fishing because the boots protect me from sharp rocks and small rays....if you register it with hodgman after you purchase it, i think they guarantee it from defects for a year...You can find them on ebay, but i recommend paying a little extra and going to Sports Authority or Sports Challet and try them on yourself to ensure the best fit...paid about $70 for mine after using a 15% off coupon promotion they had....been using and abusing it for over a year and its still working strong...absolutely no leaks yet. (i believe they're triple stitched and double padded around the knees area)

been thinking of getting something a little thinner for the summer months, but it's still manageable if i don't wear jeans or pants underneath the wader like i do the winter months. Its one of the best investments I've made in terms of fishing gear...

I could be surf fishing one moment and be out of the water and into a restaurant or on a date within literally minutes since im not exposed to the water; which, i guess, translates into more fishing time. ;) not catching a cold while trying to catch fish is a big plus too, because you can stay fishing in the water for a lot longer as oppose to having no waders...

FisherManDingo
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks, I will be using them for surf fishing. I have a $50 gift card for Bass Pro Shops and want to us it. So I can use that and also pay a little out of my pocket.

fish_sauce
06-09-2008, 05:38 PM
i haven't checked their online store, but when i asked around bass pro shops for waders they only had the higher end really thin whitewater waders for trout fishing. This was a year ago, their inventory might be different now...

why don't you hold onto that gift card and use it on quality lures and get a better deal on a decent wader elsewhere?

just a thought.

Justonemore
06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I got my from bass pro, last xmas, is the neopren type with the boots, I think I paid $79 for my.

J

pipelayer5150
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
if your budget is tight i bought some us gov surplus waders from big fish in los alamitos last year for $10 a pair not the greatest waders in the world but they def keep you dry

City Dad
06-10-2008, 03:28 PM
:My Two Cents: I'd go with breathable waders. You can always wear thermals in the cold months.