PDA

View Full Version : Heartbreak at Sabrina

J-hook
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I was at Sabrina on Monday 6/2/08 fishing from the boulder shore with the 5' ultralight using #2 test. I had on some Rainbow PB. It was a bluebird day - even getting a little sunburned.

I met brothers Leon and Mike there. Dunno if they are members, as we never mentioned FNN. All the sudden it was my turn, as I said I got one on. This was my best fish I've ever had hooked up. When it got to the shallows, it turned sideways. I had a silver platter! I don't think it was real long, but was very thick. The 5' rod was bent way over. It panicked when it saw the shallow bottom come up, and jumped, cleared the water, and ran the other way. I think it was telling me "If I don't rip the rod out of your hand, I'm going to tear your arm off!!"

I kept the pressure on - too much pressure. Leon and Mike knew what had happened when I let out a loud groan. My 3/8 oz weight and snapswivel went slingshot back up the beach about ten feet. My leader had busted at the swivel, so somewhere there's a trout with a hook in and about two feet of leader trailing behind.

Was it the knot at the swivel or just the leader somewhere along the line? When I went to change it, the snap on the swivel was open! Had some fool forgotten to close it in his hurry to get fishin'? I doubt it would have come out backwards from the open snap with pressure on like that; leader must have broken.

Leon said I needed to throw away all my swivels and get over here right now. He showed me the "Carolina Keeper" and we talked about using less knots. If nothing else I'll never use an overhand loop again. TIE it on the swivel.

troutdog
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Heart breaker! Sorry to hear about the one that got away, I am a big big fan of the Carolina Keeper, but I am told swivels are the way to go. What to do, what to do? Thanks for shring the experience on FNN.

TD

Crawler
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I never used swivles untill I realized that I twisted my line like no other. A swivle will usually save your line from twisting. I dont use them in streams though, where your line is more likely to twist. Too much wieght in the stream.

BTW me and a friend caught no less than 3 fish at convict yesterday that had line coming out of thier mouths from a previous battle. Was only able to locate one hook while cleaning them. They were all very healthy fish.

DaFish
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I just use a carolina keeper or a small split shot to go with a larger one. The smallest split is like a poor mans keeper.

this seems to be much better than a swivel. An old guy taught me this.

If you use a keeper you just tie one knot on the hook.

If you use a swivel you have to tie 3. One on the each side of the swivel and then another on the hook. That is a waste of time and the chances of a break in one of them seems to be much higher than just one well tied knot.

dockboy
06-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Use the Spro Power Swivels. You can get them in the 35lb size at Sport Chalet. They are close to the smallest swivels on the market. Many people sware by the Caorlina Keeper. 90% of the time I'm fishing 4lb leader. Some times I change down to 2 if the bite if real tough and then I'll set my drag real light. Either way works, depends on what you like. I also have a theory that the lightest weight in the line+more fish. I try to use 1/16-1/8oz slip sinkers on lakes where possible, and rarely go above 1/4oz. I also like the fact the Spros swivels weigh less than a keeper when a fish picks the bait up and starts moving away. Just my 2cents

Badfish2
06-10-2008, 03:35 AM
I'm done using swivels for bait set ups.. I tie a hook on, and clamp a split shot on about 4 feet up. Hasn't affected my catching ability one bit, and I've lost a lot less fish.

steve092
06-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Awww man that sucks!!!!

Although it sounds like many don't like the Carolina Keeper, it is my favorite bait and wait technique. I put a bobber hanging on the line with about 1 -2 feet of slack so you have time to set the hook and the fish has time to take the bait.

Slims
06-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Why would you use a snap swivel to tie a leader to your main line? Why not use a normal barrel swivel? Snap swivels are for spinner baits and kastmasters so you dont twist your line up.

Carolina keepers are cool, but I have had more than a few small trout break my line off at the keeper. I think they are too tight and cause small frays.

A barrel swivel with a clinch knot work every time.

dockboy
06-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Slims, the Spro Power Swivels are a barrel swivel, if that's what you're asking. They are you're basic barrel swivel, but are smaller and stronger for their size.

one_leg
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Trout can feel the keeper hang up on the bottom. Lose em.

Lots of people use them to easily change depths to find out where the fish are biting at. Then use a swivel.

Smallest swivel you can get away with. No snap.

I can hardly wait to get back up to Sabrina again. Thanks for the report.

HBJapo
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
A barrel swivel with a clinch knot work every time.

Ditto. Plus, I've never had my own knots fail me.

Japo :Envious: