PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del rey Sat 6-7-08

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Went to Marina Del Rey bait dock sat….went near the high tide…got there about noon.
The main goal was to get fresh Sardines for Castaic Moonlight event.

The bite was pretty slow but my buddy Derek and I managed a little action.

I started off getting bit 1st cast…and SLAMMED…fish ion for a second but it appeared to be a Barracuda…..sawed off by the teeth……

Derek landed a short white Seabass, and a 21 7/8” halibut…just short but both were firsts for Derek, he had never fished the salt b4.

I landed a short barracuda (didn’t take a photo) and I had one REAL REAL big fish on….I battled it for about 50 yards, then the freakin sael grabbed it and….”POP” there goes the 15lb…so that is just another fish story but it was a real nice thip…it was either a big flattie or possibly a big seabass…I guess we’ll never know.

I also landed 2 seagulls (1 photographed)

We kept getting halibut bites but they sawed the bait right off, right in half at many times, other times it was “Knawed up”, the dines were real big, actually a bit bigger than I’d prefer.

Still good time but there are some nice fish there….I’ll return again to harass them fishies soon !
Gary

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Marina-gary-seagull6-7-08.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Marina-Derek-whiteseabass6-7-08.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Marina-Derek-butt6-7-08.jpg

troutdog
06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Ahhh....the one that got away, darn seals! Oh well good fishing story that comes with the territory I guess. GTlad to hear you still able to get in on some fish and gull or two!;) Been a long time since I have been to Marina Del Rey, just curious where you get the live dines at? Is that located on the same side as where you board the sport boats etc? Thanks for the feedback and report, keep em coming!

TD

fish_sauce
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Derek landed a short white Seabass, and a 21 7/8” halibut…just short but both were firsts for Derek, he had never fished the salt b4.

pretty impressive nonetheless!!!

if you keep getting sawed off, perhaps you could try rigging up a second trebel hook to the main hook as a stinger? I know a lot of people frown on the thought of using stinger hook setup, but it's managed to land me many-a-nice fish! Although---those barracudas are stinky and slimy as hell. I don't know how comfortable you'll be dehooking a trebel hook off the shorties...

funny that you should mention the seagulls....almost landed a king fisher (i think thats what the bird is called) myself last weekend with my topwater lure!!! the freaken bird just came out of nowhere.....:LOL:

oh yeah, maybe the one that got away was a smoothhound or something? they come in real shallow to the harbors and bays this time of year.

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Ahhh....the one that got away, darn seals! Oh well good fishing story that comes with the territory I guess. GTlad to hear you still able to get in on some fish and gull or two!;) Been a long time since I have been to Marina Del Rey, just curious where you get the live dines at? Is that located on the same side as where you board the sport boats etc? Thanks for the feedback and report, keep em coming!

TD
Same side where they load the sportfishing boats....but out further towards open sea...in fact, it's where they Moor the sportfishing boats after the day is done.

The bait receiver is right there...ya pay 10.00 for 3 hrs...there is also another bait receiver directly on the other side of the harbor but you can't fish off that dock.

pretty impressive nonetheless!!!

if you keep getting sawed off, perhaps you could try rigging up a second trebel hook to the main hook as a stinger? I know a lot of people frown on the thought of using stinger hook setup, but it's managed to land me many-a-nice fish! Although---those barracudas are stinky and slimy as hell. I don't know how comfortable you'll be dehooking a trebel hook off the shorties...

funny that you should mention the seagulls....almost landed a king fisher (i think thats what the bird is called) myself last weekend with my topwater lure!!! the freaken bird just came out of nowhere.....:LOL:

oh yeah, maybe the one that got away was a smoothhound or something? they come in real shallow to the harbors and bays this time of year.

Great advice but I don't think it would work the way I need it to, the Halibut were feeding but the bait was simply too big, they couldn't fit it in their mouth, a stinger hook with a short lead from the main hook could theoreticaly solve this issue but I think it would hinder the action of the dines as it's stitched in plus it would add to killing the live bait, If I were experiencing this with a stitched cut bait bite the stinger would work or I would use a smaller pc of bait, the live dines just had a tendancy to be too big this particular day but again...good looking out who know's next time out I may try it anyway : )

I actually wasn't getting bit in half with the surface fish, the cuda is a different story...we flyline for those or run a crocodile when the bait runs big and the bites are short.

As for the birds....I always battle those suckas in and take at least 1 photo...plus by removing the hook, it assists the bird in the end...I've even removed 2-4 hooks from a bird when I do this...

As far as the lost fish...it's hard to say for sure but it was a good solid thumping bite...definately not a bat ray....one thing for sure it was a real solid fish.....at least that fish leaves with a "taste" of my steel !

Can't wait ta get back out there again on a solid tide,
Gary

GeordyBass
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
nice job bud!You gotta call me up one of these days so i can slay with you!LOL

Hitts0n
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
U 0wn !:cool:

troutdog
06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks Gary.

TD

doyoufishmuch
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
nice job..... as always....

one_leg
06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
i THOUGHT YOU WENT THERE TO CATCH FISH?,,,,,,o_l

Ray Lopez
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
i THOUGHT YOU WENT THERE TO CATCH FISH?,,,,,,o_l

yea he did not want to man up and tube the salt with rob and I at Cabrillo beach

he would rather spend his money and fish off a pay dock where it is safe.

He was too scared to dangle his legs in the ocean where he could be bait to the sharks lol.

Wingnut
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I think Steve (Flyngby) has a really good recipe for Seagulls. :LOL:
He gave me a tasty one for the Sandpiper that I caught a little while ago. :Envious:

Look like a pretty good day out there, nice report. :cool:

one_leg
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
yea he did not want to man up and tube the salt with rob and I at Cabrillo beach

he would rather spend his money and fish off a pay dock where it is safe.

He was too scared to dangle his legs in the ocean where he could be bait to the sharks lol.

Gary has way too little fat on his wirey frame to appeal to the sharks.

Hey, I like the way Gary calls em tube floats....;)

Ray, do you think you would have outfished Gary at Cabrillo?

O_L

steve092
06-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Nice fish man.

I hate when seals do that. I was on a charter boat about 5 years ago and a seal kept circling the boat for about an hour just waiting for someone to pull up a fish.