PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia Fishing

Peter
06-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Me and my family plan to head North towards Sequoia National Forest.
Any tips or great spots for fishing?
And I was also interested in the Hume Lake.
Are there boat rentals? and maybe fishing off docks as well?

joe man
06-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I just came home from Wishon and it was WFO. Check out Wishon Village RV resort on the net for camping information. If you want more information PM me and I will be glad to give you the details.

Mobydick
06-09-2008, 06:30 AM
I was there at Hume Lake a month ago and the fishing was great. I don't know if there is a boat rental but they do not allow gasoline engine boats. Electric motors are ok. You can fish anywhere along the shore, unless posted. The best bait is glittered flourescent yellow power bait. You can also catch blue gills with worms or crappie jiggs. I (we) was right next to the boat ramp on the left side and caught limits both days.

Hope this helps and have fun!!!! It is a really nice place, and if you have time, take a scenic drive, you'll love it.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, do Wishon ! I've been going up there for over 40 years and I can never get enough of that place!!!! The owners of Wishon Village are great people. Nicely kept campgrounds and marina area too. I'll be going up there June 21st for my annual trip to the area. Hey Joe, what's the water level like now? Last year it was very low and was hard to launch a boat, while Courtright Res. was full to the brim still spilling over the dam overflow. Anyone looking for a very nice, quiet place to fish/hike/relax, check out Wishon Village on the net! AND I DON'T GET PAID FOR THIS REFERRAL

samgann93
06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
GO TO HUME LAKE!!!!!!

its an awesome lake to fish.
if you do get a rental (which im not sure on)
take it over to where they stock by the dam.
use silver kastmasters.

if your good with jigs you can fish along the shoreline
and get tons of fish.

my buddy was up there like a week ago and he was using
jigs along the shore. he caught TONS of fish.
biggest fish went 4 pounds! average size is right around a pound.

Good Luck up there.
S/G

joe man
06-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, do Wishon ! I've been going up there for over 40 years and I can never get enough of that place!!!! The owners of Wishon Village are great people. Nicely kept campgrounds and marina area too. I'll be going up there June 21st for my annual trip to the area. Hey Joe, what's the water level like now? Last year it was very low and was hard to launch a boat, while Courtright Res. was full to the brim still spilling over the dam overflow. Anyone looking for a very nice, quiet place to fish/hike/relax, check out Wishon Village on the net! AND I DON'T GET PAID FOR THIS REFERRAL

I was there last year also and you are correct the water was very low. It is up now and the bite is wide open. The nights are still very cool and there is still snow in the shady areas (scattered) and at the higher elevations above the camp. Launching boats did not appear to be a problem but we rented so I did not have to launch myself.

smalweld
06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
If you are camping at Lodgepole in Sequoia and want to do a hike. Start out early and park at Wolverton, grab some lightweight fishing gear and hike the 4.1 miles up to Heather lake. Easily a 60 plus fish day. They are tons of brookies and on the small side but they will bite anything. My buddy saw that they were striking the swivel, so he put a hook on there and had two fish on one cast once. One on the lure and one on the swivel. Best for me was having my son with me to teach a couple of hikers how to catch fish. I saw that they were using some dried up salmon eggs and gave them each a spinner. We come back after about an hour and ask them how's the fishing. They tell me that they havent caught anything. My 11 year old son see's there setup and tells them that they are not supposed to use a bobber, a sinker and bait with it. They ask are you sure?? I take everything off except for the spinner, hand the pole to my son and ask him to cast it out. Not more than 15 seconds later he's screaming FISH ON!!! The guy and his uncle just stared at my son in amazement... One of those moments that just make you proud that your a DAD !!!!!!