PDA

View Full Version : back bay..

El Weirdo
06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
question..other that the obvious rinse off..what things should i do to my tracker 19 bass boat to run in the back bays?...have heard about terminal corrosion?
thanks

mojomizer
06-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Make sure your zincs are in good working order. All electronics are properly grounded.

The Navy, Coast Guard and many Northwest boat builders use aluminum alloys with no problems at all in the salt water.

Have fun. Catch fish....... enjoy the fuel efficiency and trailerability of your boat.

Mark

seahonk
06-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Well if your pissy about it there's this stuff called Salt X that i never used but herd good things about that you use after you exit the ocean they sell it every where , suppose to get all the salt off that causes corrosion , there is even a way to run it through your motor Not in the gas but in the water ,And does your trailer have bearing buddys if so make shure there all full , Hope this helps you out a little .

slief
06-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Well if your pissy about it there's this stuff called Salt X that i never used but herd good things about that you use after you exit the ocean they sell it every where , suppose to get all the salt off that causes corrosion , there is even a way to run it through your motor Not in the gas but in the water ,And does your trailer have bearing buddys if so make shure there all full , Hope this helps you out a little .

Good point! Salt X or similar is a must! I always rinse my boat off with it after being in the ocean.. It is VERY important to flush the engine with it. Salt will really take a toll on the impeller if you dont flush the engine properly. When you get the salt X stuff, it usually comes with a applicator which goes in line on your hose and has a reservoir for the solution and automaticly mixes the stuff with the water. Very simple but very important as water alone will not remove all the salt. Try to keep as little salt water on your carpet as possible as the salt water will eat the glue used to adhere your carpet to the floors and decks of your boat.. Make sure you rinse the floors well afterwards or find some big rubber matts to place on your decks and floors. You could probably by some rubber flooring at home depot and cut it to fit your boat.

karlow
06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I just picked up a 1990 Tracker that has spent most of it's time on water in bays.
The first problem is it does not seem to have any zinks on it!
It does have about 8 holes in the transome. The main problem is they did not do a good job washing down the galvanized trailer. I'm spending some mad time grinding the rust off that bad boy! Spend at lest as much time on the trailer, as flushing the motor on every trip. If your trailer is not galvinized it's more of a problem. But, ther is more. For some reason, Tracker does not seem to know how to build a trailer. Last year I had a 17' bass tracker, I spent a few hours with the welder fixing the trailer, and that boat had only been used in fresh water. The problem is they are using box tubing. People who know WTF they are doing use H section of C section steel, or aluminum for trailers. The problem is water gets traped inside box tubing. They do not paint the inside of the tubing, the galinize dip may not reach the insides of the box. So what happen as soon as it get wet the first! Right thay start to rust from the inside out. Way to go Tracker.

Good luck