PDA

View Full Version : frst btm fish trip in 20ish yrs,,,,8/2/08 HELPPPP!!!!!

trail blazer
06-08-2008, 04:43 PM
PATRIOT SPORTFISHING out of AVILA ca,,,10 hr trip out ,,,65 ft boat,,hot galley,,2 1/2 hrs out to PT PURISMA for hopefully some all out LINGS AND REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,COMPANY SPONSORD TRIP so all i need to bring is TACKLE,,,,,,,I guess i can rent a rod before going out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ANY AND ALL TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE HELPFULL,,,,,,,Since the only other people on the boat will all be co workers,I REALLY NEED TO WIN THE J,POT;),,,,,,,bragging rights to this one will last at least a whole year

Billy Bass
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
First, bring a crapload of weights. All sizes froom 3 oz. to at least 16 oz. If you wind up not using all those weights, you can make a fortune selling them to your co-workers.

second, if you're using bait, I've always done well by using the thin Eagle claw bronze circle hooks. They are fairly inexpensive and do a great job og hooking the rockies. No need to set the hook, just start winding. compared to standard hooks, you'll hook a lot more fish with the circles.

Third, if you're after the jackpot, you might bring a few heavy jigs, such as tora tubes, diamond jigs, or those chrome sumo jigs that are banana shaped. They are deadly on the lings.

Lastly, i9f the boat is drifting, try to fish off the bow of the boat. I've done exceptionally well fish there.
good luck.

rusty6
06-08-2008, 06:02 PM
HEAVY weights for suer, its been windy as hell the past few days in the area, the boat will probably be drifting pretty fast.

trail blazer
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Third, if you're after the jackpot, you might bring a few heavy jigs, such as tora tubes, diamond jigs, or those chrome sumo jigs that are banana shaped. They are deadly on the lings.

OOOOYAAAAAAA Thats what i needed to know!!!!!!!!!!and can i fish these on the bottom of a standard shrimp fly rig?????????????????

bsp
06-08-2008, 07:48 PM
If you really want to do a number on the lings use the small rockfish or sanddabs as bait. If you want artificials take a look at the lead heads and lures at the very bottom of this page.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csc6c.htm
They have 8oz and 12oz lead heads and 9in swimbaits that will definitely get the jackpot ling's attention. I would use the 9in swimbait in lumo-lizard with an 8oz or 12oz head if I just wanted big fish. Get some 6in sizes in lumo too in case the fish are of the smaller variety. Shrimp fly rigs will fill your bag. If you want to try something interesting use one of the swimbaits with the big lead heads as the wait on the shrimp fly rig. Also make sure to put squid strips on the swimbaits and the shrimp flys. 4in Berkely Salt water gulp mullets in red, pink, or glow in the dark also work really well on large Vermilion rock cod (red snapper) and various other large rock cod (on bare hooks or on a shrimp fly rig). Do not use squid if you are using gulp. The gulp strips do not work nearly as well as really squid or gulp mullets so do not buy it. Giant Krockodile spoons are also good for lings if you want to throw iron.

Ambassadorhawg
06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Jax jigs or Fryberger jigs for quality fish. Sizes 6-12 ounce in various colors. You may want to tip the hook with a fillet strip from a small rockfish if you want to get the attention of Mr. Lincoln Log. To me, that's cheating, though. LOL!!!

Billy Bass
06-09-2008, 09:49 AM

OOOOYAAAAAAA Thats what i needed to know!!!!!!!!!!and can i fish these on the bottom of a standard shrimp fly rig?????????????????

Probably not, unless you have only one shrimp fly on your rig. Since you're only allowed two hooks for rock fishing, and the jig will count as one, you don't have alot of options

Brian_GSC
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I love fishing the jig for bottom critters. If possible, fish the bow. Cast updrift, let the jig sink, then work it. Once too much scope is out, reel in and do it all over. You can do the same thing with the large swimbaits. DEADLY!!!

If you can get your hands on some sand dabs, put 'em on a reverse dropper loop and hold on! The lings love 'em!!!

Good luck and be sure to post up some pix!