PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Hunting June 7 and June 8

fish_sauce
06-08-2008, 09:12 AM
The weekend finally came around and i couldn't wait long enough to ditch work early and hit the surf! Checked the tide charts, water temp, wind speed...and called a buddy from Alhambra to shoot down and meet me at our spot in OC. Made the hour drive down from San Bernardino...

Got there around 6pm, water condition was terrible! Swells were light and warm, but the water looked to be almost murky brown. Very low visibility, and a lot of vegetation. My hour or so attempt at landing a halibut with crankbaits and plastics yielded nothing! Not wanting to go home feeling defeated, i wagered a bet with my buddy to see who could catch more YFC's within an hour on a cheap $1.50 lure we both got at a local flea market the week before...one beer a fish :D The night ended well with me being one fish shy of a six-pack. As for my buddy.. although he hooked up to two YFC's, they both broke off before he could land them...:ROFL:
I guess you can say i ended up catching a light buzz...;) All fish were released.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/IMG_4639.jpg

I wasn't entirely satisfied with catching only YFC's, so saturday morning came around and i debated about making the long drive back to OC again...finally mustered up enough determination to pack my gear and got down to the water by 6:30am.

Hit a beach in southern OC, and conditions appeared to be promising...very warm, clear water, light gentle swells, a slight onshore breeze, and light overcast. From the distant, i could see the ocasional croaker breaking water surface to feed...but i stay focused on landing myself a big halibut...fished around til 11:30am, and had absolutely no takers....by then, the high tide had already receded into minus low tide. On the way back to the truck, i came across a patch of seaweed washed up to shore...with a birdnest of fishing line still attatched to it. I usually hate seeing fishing line laying around where i fish---it makes me feel almost guilty for some reason...so i went down to pick it up and put it in the trash but to my surprise i came across an old beat up LC Flashminnow 110 entangled in the whole mess! It had been out in the water long enough for the hooks to have completely rust off...a few patches of missing paint, but still in useable condition! :D

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/IMG_4638.jpg

After lunch, some Vietnamese coffee, and half a pack of cigarettes later, i got the urge again to hit up a different beach. This time, i didn't bother with the charts. Whatever goes, i guess. I found out that it was DFG's free fishing day, so i invited a couple friends who's never fished before to come with me, but got no takers. They were more anxious to watch the big game ;).

Got to the beach just before 6, and conditions were surpisingly nice! On the third or forth cast......WHAMMMMM!!!!! fish on! It felt like i had snagged onto a ray of some sort...the occasional drag-screaming runs, and then nothing but dead weight...I could feel that it was a nice sized fish...but then again, i had on only 8lb test flourocarbon on a cheap *** Eclipse reel i got at Sports Authority on clearance for $7....hahahha...anything could have felt big!

Fifteen minutes (seemed like an eternity) later, i finally got the fish close enough to see it....the unmistakable tail and the white underside....and this fish easily tops 30 inches...if i manage to land it, it would be a personal best...but as the waves were crashing and as the water got shallower, it broke out in bouts of violent shakes; further straining not only my arms but the light 8lb line, and bending the stock hooks on the flashminnow...so when the waves finally pulled out...i took a chance and grabbed onto its tail and ran for higher ground....

Final measurements came out to be 32 inches, weighing in at almost 15 pounds. A new personal best! You know how the old saying goes...."if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...."

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Fishy010.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Fishy009-1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Fishy012.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Fishy014.jpg

rusty6
06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
jeez thats one hell of butt you got there, good job

supasportkid
06-08-2008, 11:25 AM
hey man good job on the hali. Very good report

klocked
06-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Thats a nice hali there fish_sauce, persistence paid off!! :Applause:
Good job out there!

Klocked

ToadsToadsOnly
06-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Heck yea that's what I'm talking about bro. Great job keep the big boys coming.

doyoufishmuch
06-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Yea man, great report and very nice fish:)

spooks
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
great job ,persistence pays off ,my hats off to you for the great effort.

SOSO
06-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Nice pictures. Congrats on the Big Hali..

Wingnut
06-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Fantastic report Fish Sauce! Congrats on the 30+ Flat Boy, very well done. :Thumbs Up: Now that's a fish to brag about. MONEY!!! The dollar bill was a nice touch.

Wish I was out in the surf this weekend, too tired from my business trip to Florida. :Neutral: Next week! :cool:

Now how are you going to prepare it? With one of those recipes that you sent me a little while back? ;) :D Yum Yum...

fish_sauce
06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Wish I was out in the surf this weekend, too tired from my business trip to Florida. :Neutral: Next week! :cool:

Now how are you going to prepare it? With one of those recipes that you sent me a little while back? ;) :D Yum Yum...

You mean to tell us you didn't get a chance to do any surf fishing in Florida?! Its surf fishing heaven over there ;) the red drums from the bayous are like ten times the size of our croakers and its not uncommon to land a 100lb+ bull shark / sand tiger shark right off the shore! :Envious:

i didn't want to waste any of the fish, so i didn't fillet it. Just cleaned it and chopped it in half. The smaller half of the fish made for more than enough to serve six people...oven baked with butter, rosemary, garlic powder, and a touch of seasoning sauce...wrapped with rice paper, green bananas, mint, vermicelli, carrots...and of course, dipped in fish sauce! ;)

Haha. the dollar thing is just an old habbit of mine when taking pictures of fish. I used to never carry around a measuring tape, so the dollar's for size refference.

fish_sauce
06-08-2008, 02:45 PM

You mean to tell us you didn't get a chance to do any surf fishing in Florida?! Its surf fishing heaven over there ;) the red drums from the bayous are like ten times the size of our croakers and its not uncommon to land a 100lb+ bull shark / sand tiger shark right off the shore! :Envious:

i didn't want to waste any of the fish, so i didn't fillet it. Just cleaned it and chopped it in half. The smaller half of the fish made for more than enough to serve six people...oven baked with butter, rosemary, garlic powder, and a touch of seasoning sauce...wrapped with rice paper, green bananas, mint, vermicelli, carrots...and of course, dipped in fish sauce! ;)

Haha. the dollar thing is just an old habbit of mine when taking pictures of fish. I used to never carry around a measuring tape, so the dollar's for size refference.

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Real nice flattie, ya got me salivating for a halibut dinner.

Congrats on your new PB, thats light line too for that sucka.

P.S.
Ram yer hands up in those gills and take a photo with them suckas...makes for a great photo.

Nice work, hope to see more soon,
Gary

Wingnut
06-08-2008, 09:22 PM

No Andrew, I didn't get to fish at all. I was there for business for three days and was jammed all three days. I was in Pensacola and my hotel was right next to a bay. I took a nightly walk around that area and saw some strange species being caught including a mean looking Shark that kept trying to snap at whatever came close to its jaws. :Shocked: I think the fisherman that caught it says that it was an Angel Shark... but it's no Angel, it was one mean fish. :Twisted:

The Halibut recipe you described is exactly how my mom prepared my Halibut on Mother's Day... better than the baked Catfish version at the restaurants. :D

The next time I catch a 30+ inch Flattie, I'm going to lay down a $100 dollar bill. ;) :Envious:

troutdog
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Congrats on your pb halibut, way to stick with it and get that fat flattie!

TD

fish_sauce
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
jeez thats one hell of butt you got there, good job

Thanks! I had farmed a similar sized one two weeks ago...it felt like deja vu all over when i had trouble beaching it...:LOL:

hey man good job on the hali. Very good report

thanks!

Thats a nice hali there fish_sauce, persistence paid off!! :Applause:
Good job out there!

One of the beaches i stopped by during the weekend was near the Belmont Pier area...where you fished about a week ago. The water looked nice, but i wasn't nearly as productive as you and your son were fishing off the pier! :Envious:

Heck yea that's what I'm talking about bro. Great job keep the big boys coming.
Perhaps you could show me how you catch those big freshwater toads!!!;) My trips to the beach to surf fish is getting expensive...and i live only 10 mins from puddingstone and 25mins from silverwood...maybe its time for a freshwater conversion...

Yea man, great report and very nice fish:)
thanks! im working on getting a better digi cam. hopefully that'll translate into better wingnut-quality reports...

great job ,persistence pays off ,my hats off to you for the great effort.
sometimes i can't tell whether its persistence or an affliction or an itch that i needed to scratch...:ROFL:

Nice pictures. Congrats on the Big Hali..
thanks!

Congrats on your new PB, thats light line too for that sucka.

P.S.
Ram yer hands up in those gills and take a photo with them suckas...makes for a great photo.

Gary

the whole entire time i was sweating and shaking, hoping the line and reel would hold up. I was using PLine's 100% fluorocarbon--a bit pricier than the fluoroclear that i normally use, but it was well worth the investment.

i didn't have my hands in the gills, but heres a close enough picture :LOL:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/32inchsmall.jpg

The next time I catch a 30+ inch Flattie, I'm going to lay down a $100 dollar bill. ;) :Envious:

Haha. you spend enough time i the water Arthur, you should set your bench mark at 40''+ on the surf zone!!! I still remember the day Sinjin (an oldtime FNN member from whom i learned a great deal about surf fishing from) landed a 43'' on the surf...it caused quite a commotion on the fishing forums :D

Unfortunately for me, all my money now goes to either girls, gas, beer, or fishing gear. A $100 dollar bill in my wallet is in itself a rare occurance and post-worthy. :LOL:

Congrats on your pb halibut, way to stick with it and get that fat flattie!

thanks!

Tikka
06-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow!....what a beauty!....kinda sets you up for the rest of the year!

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
No Andrew, I didn't get to fish at all. I was there for business for three days and was jammed all three days. I was in Pensacola and my hotel was right next to a bay. I took a nightly walk around that area and saw some strange species being caught including a mean looking Shark that kept trying to snap at whatever came close to its jaws. :Shocked: I think the fisherman that caught it says that it was an Angel Shark... but it's no Angel, it was one mean fish. :Twisted:

The Halibut recipe you described is exactly how my mom prepared my Halibut on Mother's Day... better than the baked Catfish version at the restaurants. :D

Yeah Arthur, those Angel sharks have a set of jaws from hell...non description in words could explain what they do...their jawline jutts out and those snapper are brutal...they seem like they could take your hand off.

Did it look like this ? I got this one on the SM pier and I had never seen one before, the color is dark on top but the bottom is solid white like a halibut..I wish the person that took the photo for me could have got the teeth in the shot...I hear theyre more rare nowadays but used to be pretty common....in the old world they called it a "monkfish"
Gary
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/santamonicapierangelshark.jpg

legacy1
06-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for that post; inspired me to hit the surf on Sunday....

Wingnut
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah Arthur, those Angel sharks have a set of jaws from hell...non description in words could explain what they do...their jawline jutts out and those snapper are brutal...they seem like they could take your hand off.

Did it look like this ? I got this one on the SM pier and I had never seen one before, the color is dark on top but the bottom is solid white like a halibut..I wish the person that took the photo for me could have got the teeth in the shot...I hear theyre more rare nowadays but used to be pretty common....in the old world they called it a "monkfish"
Gary

Yep, that's the mean sucka that I saw... vicious creature. :Twisted:
The guy says that it's a great eating fish.

BingJr
06-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Im not sure if id be more stoked about the Hali or the Metallic Sardine LC.

Both are awsome catches. Great job!

one_leg
06-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Nice job man!!!