PDA

View Full Version : Spottie Hunting with a surprise!

GOTFISHUES
06-08-2008, 12:37 AM
well fellow fisherpeople i guess if im going to do this i must maintain consistency, and since i fish 3 times a week or so, if something goes good ill keep you posted. and this time something didnt go great but interesting none the less. i fished a local rock cropping in southern san diego today, dont know what website i got my tide info from, but it was way wrong. i show up at 4:45 expecting a rise in 45 mins or so but it kept dropping. so needless to say nada but a few nibbles for hours. since the advent of gulp, many of my other go-to baits have collected dust, so i was adament to throw robo's until i got hit. well eventually it happened however things whent wrong and drag was loose blahblahblah. fish is burning, wraps around grass and the two of us play tug-o-war for 5 mins or so untill i finally give in and cut him free. then night falls.....after the trauma i return to the ever so old faithfull berkley minnow, watermelon pearl and chart. tonight, a few dinks on the spotties, nothing to write home about, and one corvina. then it happens,, i feel a stange hit, to being stuck, im all bummed so i pull, it didnt feel exactly like being stuck, all of a sudden im back to reeling in but it feels wierd, then stuck again, then reeling, until i figured what it might be and start ripping him in the next time he lets go. sure enough he surfaces and theres my first drop-shotted octopus. ive caught them before but never on a plastic. so i hope whomever else fished today/night had it easier than me, but it was fun. thanx for all your post's, im learning something new everyday.

Wingnut
06-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Whoa, cool Octopus! Nice mix of fish too. :cool: :D

fish_sauce
06-08-2008, 02:49 PM
interesting catch!

that corvina looks a lot like a baby white sea bass. How can you tell the difference?

GOTFISHUES
06-08-2008, 04:09 PM
interesting catch!

that corvina looks a lot like a baby white sea bass. How can you tell the difference?

first off thanx for the comment, but the dead giveaway is when you go to lip them and a giant fang penetrates your knuckle, however juvy wsb are more silver/iradesant and these guys are more of a tan/silver.

thanx to you to WINGNUT, i enjoy reading your post, there always informative and interesting.

rusty6
06-08-2008, 10:21 PM
juvie wsb will also have a few dark bars on their back as well.

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2008, 12:20 AM

FYI, I have caught them in both stages (Juvie WSB) with and w/o the bars (and yes they were WSB) gotta love the knarly teeth....I really respect a fish that demands respect from you when you catch it !

Congrats on the catches gotfishues...why don't ya just grab those octopus and take a photo ?..don't worry those beaks only hurt if they stab ya : ) of course when they wrap those tentacles around your hand (and they will) it can be a bit unerving but it always makes for an interesting trip/day.

Congrats,
Gary

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Nice Job Out There. My Self, And Gary Got To Our Spot At 5.30 Am Yesterday . I Thought The Tide Was Going To Come In .instead Our Water Just Kept Shrinking And Fishing Sucked. Last Year I Got A 21" What I Thought Was A Croaker ,of Some Kind, And Decided To Lip It. It Was A Freaken White Sea Bass ,off 72nd Pl.. I Dont Have To Tell The Pain ,and Bleeding That Went On. Nice Job Again And Peace Out To Alll ....mike The Pmb....

troutdog
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
You just never know when you are fishing the salt, cool report and pics!

TD

doyoufishmuch
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Sweet man, nice catch. Yea those octopi can put up a nice little fight. Sometimes it feels like there are 8 small fish fighting on your hook. Weird feeling, but still fun nonetheless.

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
FYI, I have caught them in both stages (Juvie WSB) with and w/o the bars (and yes they were WSB) gotta love the knarly teeth....I really respect a fish that demands respect from you when you catch it !

Congrats on the catches gotfishues...why don't ya just grab those octopus and take a photo ?..don't worry those beaks only hurt if they stab ya : ) of course when they wrap those tentacles around your hand (and they will) it can be a bit unerving but it always makes for an interesting trip/day.

Congrats,
Gary

Here are examples of juvie WSB with and without the bars

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/newportharbor5--24-08whiteseabass.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Marina-Derek-whiteseabass6-7-08.jpg

fishmounter
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
You know... I'm not an octopi expert, but isn't there a very dangerous kind of octopus that has a deadly bite...one that's called a "Blue Ringed Octopus" or something like that? I've caught little ones in Newport Harbor and don't remember seeing a blue ring on any like your has...

fish_sauce
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
You know... I'm not an octopi expert, but isn't there a very dangerous kind of octopus that has a deadly bite...one that's called a "Blue Ringed Octopus" or something like that? I've caught little ones in Newport Harbor and don't remember seeing a blue ring on any like your has...

i believe the infamous blue ringed octopus is native only to warmer southern pacific waters...i remember a few years ago i was fishing near a tide pool in a san diego county beach and these kids were playing with a small octopus with blue rings on it!!! I thought my eyes were either playing tricks on me or it certainly must be some kind of close relative to the infamous blue ringed octopus...but i couldn't find any information on it. (i asked the kids to carefully release the octopus, and they did. nobody got hurt)

heres an excerpt from marinebio.org:

World Range & Habitat
The Blue-ringed octopus, Hapalochlaena maculosa, can be found only in the temperate waters of southern Australia, from southern Western Australia to eastern Victoria at depths ranging from 0-50 m. Hapalochlaena lunulata can be found in shallow reefs and tide pools from northern Australia to Japan, including Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Philippines, and Indonesia and as far west as Sri Lanka at depths ranging from 0-20 m.

http://marinebio.org/upload/_05/Hapalochlaena_maculosa1.jpg

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:26 PM

thats usually how i have caught them, and 1 no bars at belmont bridge, on a dorado colored AA. thanx F.T.Reply

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Nice Job Out There. My Self, And Gary Got To Our Spot At 5.30 Am Yesterday . I Thought The Tide Was Going To Come In .instead Our Water Just Kept Shrinking And Fishing Sucked. Last Year I Got A 21" What I Thought Was A Croaker ,of Some Kind, And Decided To Lip It. It Was A Freaken White Sea Bass ,off 72nd Pl.. I Dont Have To Tell The Pain ,and Bleeding That Went On. Nice Job Again And Peace Out To Alll ....mike The Pmb....

im focusing my efforts on coorilating with the appropriate tides for sure, it never seemed to want to go up that day. heres what my first experience looked like with a baby corvina.

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Congrats,
Gary

well i didnt grab him 'cause i wasnt really in the mood, plus i wasnt prepared to go to battle with 8 lucid attacking arms, besides when i pulled him up he let me know his displeasure by hosing me down with with some cold ocean water. figured if i messed with him, he'd tag me up with ink. thanx F.T.R.

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:39 PM
You just never know when you are fishing the salt, cool report and pics!

TD

though i target a few specific's, knowing that you never know until its up is an added bonus.
thanx F.T.R.

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Sweet man, nice catch. Yea those octopi can put up a nice little fight. Sometimes it feels like there are 8 small fish fighting on your hook. Weird feeling, but still fun nonetheless.

yup, i had one take the paint right off the deck of the patriot, super suckers for sure. thanx F.T.R.

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Here are examples of juvie WSB with and without the bars

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/newportharbor5--24-08whiteseabass.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/Marina-Derek-whiteseabass6-7-08.jpg

those are nice bay fish, thanx for sharing

GOTFISHUES
06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

dude, you had me freaked out for a second, but thats a good fishermans death,

Headline news

"by product catch kills photographing fisherman"

thanx F.T.R.

and thanx to you Fish Sauce for clearing things up, very informative, ill be cutting the line on any octopi i catch in australia for sure.

dont think i did this multi reply thing right, still learning the opperation ropes here. ciao'

one_leg
06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
You should have made some Coctele De Pulpo. Delicous.

Thanks for reporting.

O_L

GOTFISHUES
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM
You should have made some Coctele De Pulpo. Delicous.

Thanks for reporting.

O_L

hook a brother up' whats the recipe?