PDA

View Full Version : Abalone Slaying with One-Leg 6-5

diamondbear
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Well it was that time of year again with the low tides up on the North Coast of Mendocino Co. I decided to ask Otter-Leg [ I MEAN One-Leg ] if he wanted to go on an adventure , I didn't have to ask Alan twice . WE had to head up north a day earlier than planned as a increasing windswell was forcasted over the next several days . surf was already 3-5 ft. with a low vis. under water at 3 ft. WE had to get into the water to warm up as the water was pretty warm at 52 deg. [ warmer than the air temp. ] WE headed out at sunrise and had to fight a strong surge pulling and pushing us around the sharp rocks . I had Alan swim on the outside incase of any hidden sharks , lol There were seal pups on the beaches waiting for there mamas to come back in from feeding . We limited pretty fast with seeing dozens of big abs down deep [ 15ft. ] I was hoping for flat water with a high vis. but missed it by 2 days . We stayed at MacKerricher State Park in Fort Bragg and dived Laguna Point . Alan was like a billy goat climbing around those steep cliffs and rocks and almost out swam me in the water [ Otter-Leg ] , lol We had alot of FUN and believe it or not Alan did most of the TALKING on our 1200 mile round trip . [ just kidding ] // db

SoCalGuy7
06-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Beautiful pics, nice haul...guys..

diamondbear
06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I cleaned my Abs today and theres a little color in the shells, heres a pic of them . I got 4 steak dinners and 1 ceveiche dinner after cleaning and vaccum packing my abs. this afternoon . The weather here in South. cal. is no way the same as Northern Calif. today . I noticed the camp ground wasn't full as its usaully is on the negative low tides this trip . Gas was 4.39 per gal. in Bragg . Alan is devoloping some water pics to add to this trip and I hope they turn out . // db

barbiegirl
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
You guys went all the way down there for rocks? I'm joking, but they look like rocks. Beeeautiful pics and nice report, although I don't believe the part about Alan doing all the talking, I can barely get him to say a word. Sometimes I forget he's even in the car. Or maybe its just me zoning him out. :)

cappo
06-06-2008, 07:18 PM
nice hamburger patties

diamondbear
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
let me try adding those pics of the shells again. Our drive up north seemed fast and alan was way interesting to talk to about fishing and computers and we even talked about our own scuba trips of the past , it was alot of fun .

CASTAWAY
06-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Nice rockfish guys..... Thanks for sharing....:Cool:

tacklejunkie
06-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a blast guys! That'd be fun hunting for Abalones!
1200 miles! :Shocked: Whats the limit on them puppies?

one_leg
06-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Pics and Vids will be posted soon.

Sorry about the delay.

SoCalGuy7
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
We're waiting Alan......:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

one_leg
06-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Fifteen minutes tops!!!

I hope.

I might go fishing tonight so I got to get it done quick.

Hold on a sec.

O_L

one_leg
06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Here is where we dove for our Abs.

More to follow shortly.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Laguna Point, Mendocino County, CA

one_leg
06-07-2008, 06:00 PM
You guys went all the way down there for rocks? I'm joking, but they look like rocks. Beeeautiful pics and nice report, although I don't believe the part about Alan doing all the talking, I can barely get him to say a word. Sometimes I forget he's even in the car. Or maybe its just me zoning him out. :)

Barbie, we both nearly lost our voices from talking continously for nearly 10 hours straight.
I still have a slight rasp. :Neutral: But I have a full belly. :cool:

One_Leg

diamondbear
06-07-2008, 06:08 PM
THE SECRET SPOT , lol . The only reason for bringing you along is to learn your secret ways with the pics and computer stuff , ha You just amazed me on how you climbed all over those rocks and cliffs and slippery kelp Otter-Leg . Lets GO BACK ,lol

one_leg
06-07-2008, 06:13 PM
THE SECRET SPOT , lol . The only reason for bringing you along is to learn your secret ways with the pics and computer stuff , ha You just amazed me on how you climbed all over those rocks and cliffs and slippery kelp Otter-Leg . Lets GO BACK ,lol

I think we need some other FNN'ers who hate eating abalone but like to pluck them to join us.
We could always use some extra sherpas.....lol
We'll eat their Abs so they don't go to waste......:cool:

Abalone diving is tons of fun!!! Just being able to dive in waters infested with great white sharks is worth the effort.
Only 13 divers died last year up there while hunting Abs.
Come on you wussies, grow a hair and head up north!!!
It's totally worth the trip. Beautiful scenery in that part of the country.

diamondbear
06-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Its true I hear about the loss of life on the North Coast chasing Abalone , BUT ITS NOT FROM SHARKS , ha Its way to easy in an inviroment of snorkling around and its like an easter egg hunt really . The campgrounds are clean and hot water showers [ only for girls and wussies ] arrggg. In the evenings in the campgrouds it sounds like a big woodpecker invasion at all the familys pounding there abalone for a breaded garlic butter dinner . In Fort Bragg theres a Narrow Guage railway that runs up into the local mountains and coastal cyns. along the rivers were the redwoods grow , bed and breakfast [ again for the wussies ] Many cyns. that have fern and redwood tree grows are cool places to go on a easy hike . We need to get people from the FNN whos interested to come up with us and try there luck WITH THE SHARKS , lol

one_leg
06-07-2008, 11:01 PM
this is my first post from my new phone.

It is really fantastic up there.
you can rent all neccessary gear for $35 at the sub surface progressions divecenter.

I'm down for another trip.
I almost od'd on abalone tonight...........LOL

one_leg
06-08-2008, 07:20 AM
I forgot to post the pics last night so I added a thread of my own.
Here is the link to that thread. Not like there are too many of these threads around here these days, ya know what I mean? ;)

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=199859#post199859

Here is the stuff from that thread so you don't have to go there and read it too.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Here is the cove where Diamondbear and myself dove for our abalone. MacKerricher State Park in Mendocino County.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Diamondbearreadytogo.jpg

Steve just prior to our rappelling down the cliff. Next time maybe we should just toss the weights down there?.....lol.....j/k

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Otter_Leg.jpg

The weather was perfect up there with sunshine all day on Wednesday and Thursday.
Friday saw the clouds come in right about the time we were leaving. We left around 1600 hours.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Abouttogetitallwet.jpg

Here I am just prior to getting it all wet for the first time in nearly 12 years.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Abs.jpg

We didn't take many u/w shots because of the particulates in the water due to the surge.
The abalone were thick up there. Nothing like the sparse populations down south.
I used to feel lucky when I'd find a rock with one legal and a bunch of empty scars on it.
A scar is the depression left by an abalone from years of living in the same spot.
We slipped in right between two periods of pretty rough weather.
Friday and Saturday there were supposed to be gale force winds.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/One_Leg.jpg

The yellow straps are part of a harness I need to wear to hold my weight belt in position.
The belt had slipped off wwhen this pic was snapped. I need to get a custom suit made now.
The extra bouyancy required me to wear 20 lbs. of lead to get down. I think I could have gotten by with 18.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Legal.jpg

Diamondbear using his ab iron to gauge how much bigger than the minimum size.
Although the abs up there were huge you still need to measure them before you pluck them off the rocks.
Abalone are hemephiliacs and will die if you tear their skin while removing them.
If you hold an abalone up to its scar it will try to reattach itself to the rock.
It takes about a minute or two sometimes to reattach an abalone after removing it.
You should always measure an abalone prior to popping it off the rocks to be sure it is legal.
Just to be clear on this matter, Diamondbear had measured all of his abalone prior to removing them.
In the pic above he was measuring it to actually determine how much larger than 7" it really was.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Limitsallaround.jpg

They were a LOT BIGGER!!! Thanks for the choice spot Steve.:cool:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Abreportcard.jpg

The DFG reporting requirements are very strict now in order to make it much harder for the poachers.
Here is Steves Abalone report card prior to his filling it out.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/RangerLady.jpg

This nice gal checked our Abalone within minutes of our scaling the cliffside.
She was real nice. Very polite and helpful. And armed to the teeth too......LOL. I like that in a woman.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/Limitsfor2.jpg

The daily bag and possession limit for abalone is 3. Here are both of our limits.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/homesweethome.jpg

I am seriously considering moving up there to do a little gardening, ranching, and hunting.
They got it all up there, including the nicest people on earth. We saw lots of deer on this trip.

Thanks for reading my report. I hope you liked the pics. Next time I'll make sure to get a lot more for you.

I rented all the gear I needed to safely complete my dive at Sub-Surface Progressions dive center.

Great store with extra helpful staff.

abalONE_LEG

Granny Fish
06-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Great report guys. I don't know if I've ever seen an abalone report on FNN. ;)

I'm not afraid of sharks, but sea lions really scare me :Shocked:.

Where is the video?

one_leg
06-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Great report guys. I don't know if I've ever seen an abalone report on FNN. ;)

I'm not afraid of sharks, but sea lions really scare me :Shocked:.

Where is the video?

I look a lot like a sealion nowadays. I think that is why Steve dragged me along?

The video is gonna take a lil time. I need to get onto the other 'puter and that is not gonna be easy.
People just sit there in front of it and play Solitaire. Jeeez already. Gosh!!!

Today Granny, later today for sure.

Thanks for your help with that too.

O_L

PONTOON
06-08-2008, 08:12 AM
:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:That is awesome guys! It's also something you'll never see me try.:LOL:

one_leg
06-08-2008, 08:17 AM
:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:That is awesome guys! It's also something you'll never see me try.:LOL:

We have zeee vays to make you dive!!!

JSAUCE818
06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
dude, that is sweet....good job fellas...

SoCalGuy7
06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Awesome report, DB and Otter Leg...:LOL:
What a great experience...Does the state only hand out so many "permits" on abalone?

one_leg
06-08-2008, 11:27 AM
24 per year is all you can take.

SoCalGirl7
06-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Very nice report and pics, guys! What a cool experience! :cool:

That area is beautiful up there, I know why you would think about moving up there.... weather is perfect, it's clean, relaxing... I would love to move up to Central/No-Cal area, but then we'd have to change our names to NoCalGuy7 & NoCalGirl7! :ROFL:

Sierra_Smitty
06-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Insanely awesome trip report!

diamondbear
06-08-2008, 04:35 PM
ITS WAY TO EASY TO GET A LIMIT [ 3 ] OF ABALONE , The low tides makes it easier for people to get there abs without anything more than a wet suit bottoms as they dodn't go deeper than 3 ft. for there smaller abs . [ alan knows small , lol ] theres rocks or reefs at about 5-6 ft. were there a little bit bigger but legal . But abalone chasing is only the small part of going and spending time up on the North Coast . you go up there enough times and it becomes part of you . // db

saintarv
06-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Good job. OL you get around. :LOL:

City Dad
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I can't believe that you aren't bragging about the World-class ashtrays you're going to be able to make.

So modest...

Gmoney
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Guys-
What a great report and read!!!!
Ive been crazy busy this last week but every time i get to sneak a minute on FNN i go this post to re-read it and look at the pix again.

What a sweeeeet place!! I miss goofing off in that area.
When GSpot and I got married we camped at Mackerricher for the second night of our honeymoon. New Rule - Before getting married all couples should build a tent together to check for compatibility :ROFL:
i actually knew i had the right girl when she said she wanted to just take off and hang at the coast wherever we end up for the honeymoon....sweeeet.

i did go surf for a couple of days real close to where you guys were diving...wasnt great surf but it was great to get out.

I wish i knew about Abalone back then...mmmm mmmmm mmmm!!

Your pictures really brought back some coooool memories
Thanks for sharing the trip with the rest of us

laters
G$

... although I don't believe the part about Alan doing all the talking, I can barely get him to say a word. Sometimes I forget he's even in the car... :)

bwahahhahahahah - im still laughin over this several days later
:ROFL:

one_leg
06-09-2008, 06:10 PM
bwahahhahahahah - im still laughin over this several days later
:ROFL:

Actions speak louder than words...............:ROFL:

O_L

Granny Fish
06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
- Before getting married all couples should build a tent together to check for compatibility :ROFL:

Grandpa and I still can not build a tent together without arguing... we've been married 25 years. :rolleyes:

Where is the video Alan?

olfishergal
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
good to see you diving again Alan. Congrats on those Abs........bet they were good!!!

diamondbear
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
There was no arguing over the tent thing I gave alan my tent and I sleeped in the back of my truck , lol ALAN EVEN TALKS IN HIS SLEEP I BET , ha ha . Alan was even trying to talk UNDER WATER . Long drive and cold water and a good beer , you sleep good at night .

trollmiester
06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
This is got to be one of the best reports i have ever seen.The pictures and stories are great.I am lost for words on every picture i saw.thanx.

Granny Fish
06-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Alan was even trying to talk UNDER WATER.

I bet! :ROFL:

diamondbear
06-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Not quite under water , but maybe with the snorkle in his mouth and I was trying to answer him with the snorkle in my mouth , lol The seals were looking down on us thinking what the heck are these two doing ?? THERE MUST BE A TIME LIMIT ONE SPENDS IN THAT COLD WATER , ha ha But seriously , Alan was WAY GOOD COMPANY going up and back on such a long drive . We were swapping old fishing lies . // steve

Granny Fish
06-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Not quite under water , but maybe with the snorkle in his mouth and I was trying to answer him with the snorkle in my mouth , lol The seals were looking down on us thinking what the heck are these two doing ?? THERE MUST BE A TIME LIMIT ONE SPENDS IN THAT COLD WATER , ha ha But seriously , Alan was WAY GOOD COMPANY going up and back on such a long drive . We were swapping old fishing lies . // steve

I don't think I've met you yet, but I bet you have some stories to tell. Must have been something to have been a sealion watching the two of you. :ROFL:

Thanks DB for the great report.

one_leg
06-12-2008, 01:07 AM
I don't think I've met you yet, but I bet you have some stories to tell. Must have been something to have been a sealion watching the two of you. :ROFL:

Thanks DB for the great report.

Granny, we got a deal with the marine mammals wherever we go.

We leave their pups alone, and they leaves us alone!

The hunting stories were even better, and we must have spotted nearly 2 dozen deer on the trip.
And they weren't all does either. Some nice big bucks just off the highway.
The deer trip isn't too far off in the future. Where will we post that report though?

One_Leg

diamondbear
06-12-2008, 08:02 PM
We'll have to post the deer report in the RECIPE section maybe , And we could slip some pictures in also , ha . [ We'll put in under DEAD DEER JERKY ] On the way in we cruised by a little local pond and I had to brake hard for a mama duck with 6-7 babies fallowing . Last year I even saw wild turkeys going thru HWY. 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg . One time I was able to talk for like a whole 5 minutes and it was quiet and I looked over and Alan was sound asleep , it was alright thou I kept talking , ha ha Iam going to come out to the big VINE 57 gig in aug. and I'll get to see how the other half of the FNNers do it and maybe Alan could show me his way of catching those cats . I'll probably have a little abalone left and Alans will be all gone by then , lol // steve

Troutman65
06-12-2008, 08:29 PM
:cool: Thanks for the great report.

TM65

one_leg
06-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Sorry about the delay in posting this lil bit of our trip up north.

I know I ain't no John Ford, or Steven Speilberg. :p

Turn the volume down, it was a bit windy up there!

http://www.youtube.com/v/p1KOWijMUGc&hl=en

One_Leg

Stay^Bent_524
08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Cool report guys thats pretty interesting.. I havent heard of people diving for those since I was a kid, I remember seeing alot of them at catalina Island but not anymore. But I have a question do you guys eat them or do you guys have other uses for the abalone.. the reason I ask is because I was reading an article where people actually use the shells on their custom rod wraps.. I thought it looked awsome and just wanted to see if you guys knew where I could get my hands on some of it...

Thanks.. Stay^Bent_

one_leg
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Cool report guys thats pretty interesting.. I havent heard of people diving for those since I was a kid, I remember seeing alot of them at catalina Island but not anymore. But I have a question do you guys eat them or do you guys have other uses for the abalone.. the reason I ask is because I was reading an article where people actually use the shells on their custom rod wraps.. I thought it looked awsome and just wanted to see if you guys knew where I could get my hands on some of it...

Thanks.. Stay^Bent_

Always people asking me for my shells. :Evil:.........:ROFL:

j/k...I gave the ones from our recent trip to someone already. Sorry.

I used to have a huge pile of em from when we were still allowed to take them down here, but I used them to make the bridges and nuts for my guitars. I also made jewlery for my g/f. Abalone shells are the second hardest organic substance behind Mushroom Spores. Don't ask how I know about the mushroom spores. Be careful if you work with abalone shells because the dust is very bad for you if you inhale it into your lungs.

Come on up with us the next time we go and get some of your own!!! :Big Grin: It's easy.

Alan

Stay^Bent_524
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Always people asking me for my shells. :Evil:.........:ROFL:

j/k...I gave the ones from our recent trip to someone already. Sorry.

I used to have a huge pile of em from when we were still allowed to take them down here, but I used them to make the bridges and nuts for my guitars. I also made jewlery for my g/f. Abalone shells are the second hardest organic substance behind Mushroom Spores. Don't ask how I know about the mushroom spores. Be careful if you work with abalone shells because the dust is very bad for you if you inhale it into your lungs.

Come on up with us the next time we go and get some of your own!!! :Big Grin: It's easy.

Alan

Haha.. I wasnt asking for your's I was just curious as to what you do with them... Wow I really wasnt aware of the whole abalone dust situation, thanks for the heads up. I heard you can buy them in pre-pressed sheets or something like that so thats what im going to do.. but ya it would be awsome to go get me some of those just to have in my room or something..

Have a Good One!
Stay^Bent

one_leg
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Haha.. I wasnt asking for your's I was just curious as to what you do with them... Wow I really wasnt aware of the whole abalone dust situation, thanks for the heads up. I heard you can buy them in pre-pressed sheets or something like that so thats what im going to do.. but ya it would be awsome to go get me some of those just to have in my room or something..

Have a Good One!
Stay^Bent

Here is a source for MOP and Abalone material. It is pretty expensive, IMHO.
Pay particular attention to the health precautions section of the site.
http://www.motherofpearl.net/mop.htm

Good luck, just about everyone wants a shell or two. The best ones are the ones you collect yourself.

Lots of people like to use them as ashtrays. I don't smoke and I feel that they deserve better treatment than that. Rip em off the rocks, pry out their flesh, cook in garlic butter and eat them, but don't snuff out your butts in them.

Get ready for next year. There are not many minus tides on weekends for the rest of this season.
That doesn't mean that you cannot go out and get some, it just means that you will have to dive a lil deeper, or settle for the smaller ones. Either way, it is totally worth the effort to get up there and collect some for yourself.

O_L

ghetto dad
08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
LOL!! I jost noticed the title of this....."slaying" abalone.....dive down, pick them like a head of lettuce, then come back up...lol..."slaying"....

GD

BIGRED KILLA
08-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey Ghetto dad it was wide open lol.

diamondbear
08-15-2008, 07:41 PM
OK , I ment CHASING , lol , yea like when you chase after lettuce .

one_leg
08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
LOL!! I jost noticed the title of this....."slaying" abalone.....dive down, pick them like a head of lettuce, then come back up...lol..."slaying"....

GD

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, at least we got our limits. When was the last time you gotta a limit GD?

Troutman65
08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
This thread seems to have a life of its own. :LOL::Wink:

diamondbear
08-17-2008, 06:07 PM
THIS POST IS FULL OF LIFE , ha Cold *** water early in the morn. will wake anyone up , lol Its not slaying or wfo , but if your heart is at the ocean then going down into its grips for a dinner is even better , ha . // db

ghetto dad
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, at least we got our limits. When was the last time you gotta a limit GD?

Here it goes, catch a few fish, now your a god....on3_l3g......

one_leg
08-19-2008, 07:17 PM
My ego is eclipsed only by my greatness.

jeff4321
08-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice BCL shirt!

one_leg
08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Nice BCL shirt!

Yes it is!!!

Thanks Jeff.

CoffeaRobusta
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Very nice report and pics. Thanks for sharing. I love the taste of abs.

Used to live in Guerneville, Sonoma county, and also Arcata, Humboldt county. Man I miss the north coast and your pics make me want to go back. Ah someday.

I used to work at Sinkyone Wilderness State Park, most of the people that ab'd there were locals. Primitive camping and difficult access kept SoCalers like you guys away. I never did try ab'n myself, but would like to. Guess I need to grab a mask and start snorkling, build up my swiming skills and learn to stay calm underwater. Oooooo.....I can practice on Lobster when the season opens up. :Big Grin:

I be down for a trip north, anytime! :Wink:

one_leg
08-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Very nice report and pics. Thanks for sharing. I love the taste of abs.

Used to live in Guerneville, Sonoma county, and also Arcata, Humboldt county. Man I miss the north coast and your pics make me want to go back. Ah someday.

I used to work at Sinkyone Wilderness State Park, most of the people that ab'd there were locals. Primitive camping and difficult access kept SoCalers like you guys away. I never did try ab'n myself, but would like to. Guess I need to grab a mask and start snorkling, build up my swiming skills and learn to stay calm underwater. Oooooo.....I can practice on Lobster when the season opens up. :Big Grin:

I be down for a trip north, anytime! :Wink:

I would move up there today if it was the beginning of Abalone season because I didn't have a clue that this would be as good a year for the saltwater fishing in Cal.

I prefer to rough it during these kinds of expeditions. You meet a real nice class of people. :Wink:

You could just do some rock picking during the lower tides. We saw people that were rock picking in less then 3 feet of water.

I think I'll limit my journeys up north to the months when Abs are in season for the time being. There are still too many big saltwater pelagics being caught locally in California waters. :Cool: Keep an eye on the Rendezvous section for the next time we plan to head up that way.

O_L

Troutman65
09-01-2008, 03:10 AM
My ego is eclipsed only by my greatness.

:Bug Eyes:

Wow O_L Thats quite a bold statement . Not very humble

one_leg
09-03-2008, 05:10 AM
now your a god....on3_l3g......

What took you so long to figure that one out?

I don't seek to be worshipped.

Idolized perhaps.

O_L

one_leg
09-12-2008, 07:23 PM
One time I was able to talk for like a whole 5 minutes and it was quiet and I looked over and Alan was sound asleep , it was alright thou I kept talking

What a coincidence. One time I talked for about 15 minutes straight and when you failed to answer a question I looked over at you and you were sound asleep. I didn't want to disturb you cause I thought it might startle you and make you drive right off the side of the road, so I just kept on talking. :whistle:

The Angler
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow that trip sounds like it was a very good time. I have never been ab diving but sounds intresting. I wish i could go sometime , But i have no knowledge or experince on how or where to do it.

diamondbear
09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
lets get a group of people who want to really try something different and see some beatiful north coast of calif. waters and shorelines. Abalone is so gooood eating its worth the trip and effort , but people are scared off by the distance and the fuel costs of the trip . Believe me one trip up north with the Narrow Guage Railways leadind up into the redwoods that you can ride on and hiking the canyons with the ferns growing everwhere besides the one dive to grab a limit of abalone , its just a trip you have to experence to feel . In the early spring I'll post some dates that would be good , as you don't need to be a diver for abs , rock picking in shallow is a little harder but 3 ft. deeper is a lot better . theres a dive shop in Fort Bragg that rents EVERYTHING NEEDED . WHERES YOUR SENSE OF ADVENTURE PEOPLE . ha // db