PDA

View Full Version : Braid to mono to flouro??

Stay^Bent_524
06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey Everyone,

Im just starting to get into the braid scene and I had a couple questions like is it ok to tie the braid to mono and then to flouro? or is going from braid strait to flouro the way to go?? also what are the ideal knots to use in these setups?? any feedback would be appreciated..

Thanks_

cappo
06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
for the braid to mono I tie a uni to uni knot(7 turns braid, 4-5 turns mono). http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp
for mono to flouro I use a seagar knot

Ricky-Ray
06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
You can do it either way. If you go braid to mono to flouro you are going to have some stretch in the line and you are going to have 3 connections. If you go with braid to flouro there's very little to no stretch in the line which could give you a little extra workout if your on a big fish and there would only be 2 connections.

I've fished both way's and I think it's a matter of personal preference on how you wanna do it.

Some knots that are commonly used are the bimini to albright or the uni to uni knot. Both are very strong knots and will work for braid to mono/flour or mono to flouro. In addition you can also use the seagar knot for mono to flouro up to 40# test.

Stay^Bent_524
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
ok kool thanx alot for the feedback.. nice link for the knot Cappo

Fishtaco
06-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I have used both bimini to albright and uni to uni. From my experience, the bimini to albright seems to be the stronger knot. There's another knot called the Pena knot but I've never tried it. http://www.frenzytackle.com/tips/pena.htm

Here's a few more links for you.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fishtechequip/techniques/knots/bimini_twist.html

Funjunkie74
06-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I have to ask the question....

WHY SPECTRA TO MONO TO FLOURO??

I ask this because generally you go spectra to mono -or- spectra to flouro.
Keep in mind, the more connections, the less strength you have overall.

If you have a lot of mono to avoid the knot binding when casting, most likely you're casting a jig. In which case, you really don't need to worry too much about flouro. The fish will jump on the jig by reaction.

If you're dealing with sensitive fish, maybe 5ft or so of flouro should be tied to the spectra directly. Which then the knot should be past the tip guide and not be an issue with binding (assuming you're using a rod longer than 5ft.).

If you're using flouro for freshwater bass fishing....well then I will shut up and let someone that knows freshwater speak.

As for saltwater though, the less knots involved, the better.

FJ74

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Ive Been Using Crystal Fireline, For Every Set Up I Own ,Fresh And Salt. Normally, I Would Use A The Smallest Good Quality Swivle ,and Attach My Leader Using A Trilene Knot, And Enough Leader To Still Be Able To Cast, But Not Go Thru The Eyelet. On My 8.5 Foot Setups For The Bay 4 To 5 Ft. Usally About Half The Length ,of Your Rod. If Not Using A Swivle Ill Use A Surgens Knot, With 3 Wraps To Attach My Leader To My Braid.I CAN GO TO 8FT AND ITS FLOWS THRU THE GUIDES LIKE BUTTER I Havent Had A Break Off With That Knot ,and Its Easy To Tie. Hope This Helps, And Good Luck...mike The Pmb...

fishhead
06-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I fish braid with a 3'-4' mono or flouro topshot..tied with a Tony Pena knot..very easy to tie and holds very well.I have never broke it.

one_leg
06-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I like the Bimini to Albright.

fishhead
06-08-2008, 10:33 AM
rabbit season.

labboss2003
06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
why use braid (spectra dacron) at all ? i see no point unless your rock codding.

fuj
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
why use braid (spectra dacron) at all ? i see no point unless your rock codding.

Check out the old Jerry Brown web site contents (http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshl_JerryBrown.htm) at Charkbait. This sheds some light on why someone would fish with braided line. But IMHO the most common reason today is because people like to catch (big) fish with small gear. The limiting factor in doing this was the line capacity of small reels. Spectra, however, mitigates this limitation.

labboss2003
06-18-2008, 01:03 AM
seems to me its a lot of hassle to put a week link between you and the fish, to each his own i guess ,if you want to to fish a smaller reel with heaver line your probaly over matched anyway, cant really see a reason to spend so much on all the stuff you need to use it ,dont get me wrong a I spend top dollar for my line and have so for the past 35 years but just because some guys have to follow the hype and have the lattest greatest dosent mean its so great .Its kinda like golf you see these guys out there with thosands of dollars in clubs and still cant hit the ball where they want , and the guy with clubs bought at the salvation army kicks his butt, like I said to each his own ,go ahead and convince the world that they will never catch another fish if they dont have the 600$ reel and the 80$ worth of line just like all the other deadheads that have to bring everything they own on a 1/2 day boat just to impress the other golfers .........just my 2 cents

Daus
06-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Depends on targeted species. You don't want spectra to a couple feet of flouro for tuna fishing cause you'll probably pull the hook out on each swing for hookset, but a great setup for rockfish or wsb on the kelp. Learn how to tie a good uni to uni and a seagar knot and you should be fine up to 50# test and up. Good luck.