PDA

View Full Version : Public Docks in Newport Harbor / Balboa

TARHEEL15
06-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know where the public docks are in this area? I want to fish for some Calicos, Spotties, and whatever else I may find, what is the best areas and baits?

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know where the public docks are in this area? I want to fish for some Calicos, Spotties, and whatever else I may find, what is the best areas and baits?

just send me a message

FireRox21
06-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Enjoy the public docks while you can! We were at M St. in Newport Harbor on Tuesday and had a local Newpsie tell us that there have been MANY complaints to the Harbor Commission about the public docks and "you sort of people that use them". I guess the rich folk are complaining that the public docks are too crowded, no one has a fishing license, and they are taking up too much parking. He did add that most of these complaints stem from Saturday and Sunday fishermen. Unfortunately, the richies will eventually get their way. It is bad enough that Davies' Locker was sold, and the new owners no longer allow fishing from the dock down there (which was awesome, by the way) and good luck finding space on the pier, or parking for that matter. I also read some minutes from a few of the latest Newport Beach City Council meetings, and there are more and more people complaining about the "dirty, scummy fishermen and their trash".

So get in while you can, eventually, the whole harbor will be off-limits to shore fishermen. And with gas prices these days, who has the money to rent a skiff??!!!

Bummed!

defiantej
06-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Enjoy the public docks while you can! We were at M St. in Newport Harbor on Tuesday and had a local Newpsie tell us that there have been MANY complaints to the Harbor Commission about the public docks and "you sort of people that use them". I guess the rich folk are complaining that the public docks are too crowded, no one has a fishing license, and they are taking up too much parking. He did add that most of these complaints stem from Saturday and Sunday fishermen. Unfortunately, the richies will eventually get their way. It is bad enough that Davies' Locker was sold, and the new owners no longer allow fishing from the dock down there (which was awesome, by the way) and good luck finding space on the pier, or parking for that matter. I also read some minutes from a few of the latest Newport Beach City Council meetings, and there are more and more people complaining about the "dirty, scummy fishermen and their trash".

So get in while you can, eventually, the whole harbor will be off-limits to shore fishermen. And with gas prices these days, who has the money to rent a skiff??!!!

Bummed!

i just started saltwater fishing and i was only able to fish M street twice...every other time was just driving past looking at the dock filled with anglers haha. I guess parking could be an issue but it doesnt seem like the fishermen there really bother anyone though...Anyway though the harbor is fun i think i've fallen in love with surf fishing. What can really beat being able to fish and swim at the same time (can't afford waders yet ;) ) haha

flyngby
06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I spend plenty of time on those Docks as well as cruise the shore on foot as well as float on the boat.

There is a task force of OC Sherriff/ Harbor Patrol as well as Fish & Game working on getting the poachers/ unlicened folks with a vengance as well as educating the legals about the trash and courtesy to the boaters!!!!

It is simple to keep the fishing opportunity available.

1. License visible!!!

2. Be courtious on the boats that wish to come into what was the original intent of those docks for boaters to get to shore for a BRB of to pick up supplies.

3. And most importantly don't leave a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Airn33
06-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Here you go, this is on the site....it helped me out.

http://www.fishingnetwork.net/socal/newport.htm

Slims
06-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Bummed!

Im all for everyone being able to use all the natural resources in California, or any other state, but I understand getting pissed off when people throw trash on the ground when there are plenty of trashcans around. If there arent any trashcans, put that **** in a bag and throw it away later. What kind of person just throws their trash around without regard for other people. The people in newport had to work hard in life to get where they are so whyy wouldnt they complain about their backyards being trashed?

I was just at balboa and it is disgraceful the amount of trash strewn about. The same with azusa canyon. No one wants to pick up your babies dirty diapers, or your chicken bones, or your beer bottles and cans. If people werent being pigs, the "richies" wouldnt have anything to complain about. But when trashy *** people go and leave their crap around it ruins it for everyone. Me included.

Be respectful of people and your surroundings and there would be no problems.

EDIT: It also look like you are inciting. Where is the actual quote of someone calling anyone "dirty, scummy fishermen"? Is that a direct quote from the minutes or are you putting words in peoples mouths?

TerryC
06-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Im all for everyone being able to use all the natural resources in California, or any other state, but I understand getting pissed off when people throw trash on the ground when there are plenty of trashcans around. If there arent any trashcans, put that **** in a bag and throw it away later. What kind of person just throws their trash around without regard for other people. The people in newport had to work hard in life to get where they are so whyy wouldnt they complain about their backyards being trashed?

I was just at balboa and it is disgraceful the amount of trash strewn about. The same with azusa canyon. No one wants to pick up your babies dirty diapers, or your chicken bones, or your beer bottles and cans. If people werent being pigs, the "richies" wouldnt have anything to complain about. But when trashy *** people go and leave their crap around it ruins it for everyone. Me included.

Be respectful of people and your surroundings and there would be no problems.

I understand completely what you are saying about Azusa Canyon. Years ago I was involved with organizations that did a annual clean up of the canyon. We hauled containers of trash out of there. Unfortunately, within a couple of months the canyon was filthy again.

Public perception is everything. It only takes a minority of people to give any activity a bad name however, it only takes a minority of people to give an activity a good name as well. The only solution is to change the public's perception. Good press goes a long way and can achieve political allies. There is nothing that prevents individuals, groups, or organizations from taking matters into their own hands but there has to be a willingness to do so.

If they should close an area to fishing in the harbor, it is unlikely that it would ever be reinstated for fishing again. I have never fished or even been to Newport Harbor but if trash is a major problem, it needs to be picked up, correct?

If fishermen lead the clean-up effort, it will be difficult for the powers that be to close or restrict areas to fishing. Once an organized effort has been successful, you will find that other organizations will want to be involved as well.

If people choose to do this start small with achievable goals. I am not suggesting that the entire Harbor be cleaned up in one day. identify a bad area, organize a clean up, and have some activity (i.e. BBQ, pot luck, fishing seminar, etc) afterwards.

Invite the press and the city counsel members. Ask the Harbor Master or Harbor Commission, to donate trash bags and trash receptacles. Ask the DFG and the Sheriffs to attend and donate something. It will be difficult for city leaders and agencies to say no if you get the press to attend.

Perception is the key. Instead of being a perceived liability, become a asset. Is donating a few hours of someone's time worth keeping this fishery open?

fish_sauce
06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
If fishermen lead the clean-up effort, it will be difficult for the powers that be to close or restrict areas to fishing. Once an organized effort has been successful, you will find that other organizations will want to be involved as well.

If people choose to do this start small with achievable goals. I am not suggesting that the entire Harbor be cleaned up in one day. identify a bad area, organize a clean up, and have some activity (i.e. BBQ, pot luck, fishing seminar, etc) afterwards.

This discussion is completely off topic, but its actually quite interesting...

I think its easy to want to make a positive change and its easy to talk the talk but when it comes down to actual implimentation the reality of it is, most of us are either too apathetic or too busy to really do anything or start anything with any significant impact. The Newport Harbor's public docks was where i started my fishing years ago....Lots of good memories there.

I haven't fished there in almost a year though, partly in part because every time i came back there i find myself picking up after other people's discarded fishing line and empty beer bottles and plastic bags and styrofoam trays of once frozen squid and anchovy, or empty plastic ghost shrimp containers....i would come back the next night and find the same trash all over the place within less than 24 hours!!! I once found a broken rod with a broken/birdnested reel just laying right there on the beach---as if someone had hooked up to a big bat ray and got spooled and got fustrated and just left their trash there and left...the trash can was less than 20 feet away!!! So it is VERY understandable that the residents would be mad...

In fact, i fished there frequently enough to get to know some of the local residents there...and they've shared their concerns with me from time to time. One guy told me that on multiple occasions, his kids would come across discarded fishing hooks right where they were playing...its not much different than razors in a sand box, is it?

On top of that, i can imagine the poaching is still a major issue...I can't tell you if it has any real significant impact to the local fish populations there, but i CAN tell you that my last 5 trips to the harbor last year produced absolutely no legals; (as oppose to the years before that when 3 or 4 fish days were very common) I've even come across a guy one time who was bagging multiple short baby bass in the 6 to 7 inch scale. He knew VERY WELL that they were illegal. My call to DFG's tip line didn't do anything...nobody came, nobody got cited. (i can't imagine what you can do with 6 to 7 inch bass anyway)

The harbors public docks are great for beginner as well as seasoned fishermen, I'd hate to see it closed off....so heres my proposal...if theres anyone bold enough to organize a clean up campaign, my name will be first on the list. Just send a PM my way.

OH yeah, TARHEEL15, if you're still interested in fishing spots around the Harbor, i suggest you read up on flyngby's posts...he's generous with the imformation that you need...or just PM him. Good Luck!

[/rant]

spiceguy
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Bummed!

I am amazed at this post. So much so that I am pissed.
First off, WTF is a newpsie??? Is that what we're called now? The people that have worked their ***'s off(for the most part) to live where others can only visit?
I've lived here for twenty years and I fish alot. 90% of the times that I hit a dock in the early morning hours I am appalled at the things I see. Garbage strewn everywhere. Hooks, line, leftover bait and beer bottles. I can only imagine what those same IDIOTS throw into the water.
People are not making this crap up because they don't like fishermen. They are stating facts about slobs that they have witnessed and/or the messes they leave.
And what do you mean, "the RICHIES will eventually get their way"???
Maybe you'd be happier if the residents were like so many others that come to our town and trash it, and not give a *****??? What would it be like then? Wouldn't it **** you off if people parked in front of YOUR home everyday and left all their garbage when they split?!?!
Are you so St**id that you think that everybody that lives on the Peninsula is RICH??
That is pure ignorance. My wife and I are no different than anybody else that works hard to make a living. We just know where we want to live and we make it happen, just like the other good people that pay RENT to live here. My 28 year old son lives one street over from us. He's not rich either. He just knows where he wants to live too.
I seriously doubt that the public docks will ever be "closed" but fishermen (and women) will continue to have bad reputaions as long as there are idiots out there that think they are getting even with the "richies" by being "dirty, scummy fishermen".
And finally, as a long time resident of the peninsula, I'd like to thank each and every one of you fisher-people that are conscientious enough to NOT fall into that catagory of "dirty, scummy fishermen" , by continuing to clean-up after yourselves and others that unfortunately, fall into that "other" catagory.

Rant suspended...(for now)

doyoufishmuch
06-10-2008, 04:14 PM
It's just ridiculous. I've even taken a big tin trashcan with bags out to the wedge jetty where the concrete is a little more than halfway out, only to come back THE VERY NEXT DAY to find someone stole it. People were using it to throw trash in it the day i took it out there too, so im sure whoever did take it just threw the trash out and made off with it. So aggravating!:Evil::Guns:

spiceguy
06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you for your effort. I hate to say it but that can is most likely at the bottom of the channel. 8-( Some people just don't get it.
I'd be the first to say that there's not enough trash cans around but some folks still seem to have trouble gettin' the trash IN there. ;-/...

Fish Dog
06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Think about this...any guesses as to why the closest restroom to "M" St dock and the Wedge is at the Balboa Pier?

spiceguy
06-11-2008, 06:56 AM
I give up. Because it's a residential neigborhood? And most residential neigborhoods don't have public restrooms??? Just sayin'...

bullets_full
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I think its easy to want to make a positive change and its easy to talk the talk but when it comes down to actual implimentation the reality of it is, most of us are either too apathetic or too busy to really do anything or start anything with any significant impact.
[/rant]

So very true. I've actually got in physical altercations at lakes when I've noticed some punks throwing trash on the ground.

I do however do something that I actually carried over from my Army days called "police call". When fishing anywhere, I pick up all the trash in the area I'm fishing be it mine or not. Granted, I don't walk the entire shoreline or jetty but I do leave where I was fishing cleaner than when I got there.

I have also offered my daughter 25 cents per piece of trash she picks up when she's bored. Needless to say, I usually am out about $20 or more but think it's worth the money if that respect for our fisheries or anywhere for that matter sticks with her.

spiceguy
06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Bullets, that sounds like a very good investment. I'd be happy to share the sand (or dock) with you (and your daughter) anytime.

Cygnostik
06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I have to say, that initial post kind of shocked and disappointed me. An example of why I never bother posting here such that my account was no doubt pruned over a year ago.

Other posts have almost said it all. It's nice to see there are still people around with a little sensibility.

I live down near the locker and all that. I have to live in the pile of waste left behind by people who just don't care. Ran-over bags of half eaten fast food... (It doesn't look any better all over the road than on the guy's face in the commercials)

I find this new (to me) name newpsie offensive, at least in this context btw, and I'm certainly not rich, living paycheck to paycheck constantly worried about paying bills; I like to fish and I especially like that it's an excuse to forget about all the bills and worries. Leave them at home I say. It's harder when you get to a favorite spot to fish and find the place is a dump, plastic floating by on it's way out to the gyre where it'll be photo-degraded into the tiny bits we all eat now (though most people don't know it) and is currently being suspected as a contributor to increases in multiple-miscarriages and other health problems in places as far away as Japan. This doesn't cover much of the science behind the medical implications but here's a 2min 50sec video everyone should see, there are plenty of other interesting related vids too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9N9uCI2dgs&NR=1

Regarding the restrooms, I don't know if you've ever been in any of those things, but I'd rather **** myself. The things people do to those restrooms it's no wonder they don't build more. Never mind the fact that it's a neighborhood built on old infrastructure; not a national park, a theme park or a recreational facility. It's our home. I don't think trying to build restrooms would go over well, I don't think anyone would want to pay for it and I don't think you'd want one near your home - I sure as hell wouldn't use it anyway. TONS of people park on my block for fishing. That would make it a good place for a restroom. But in case nobody noticed all the places are homes not public chunks of wasted land so there's hardly room to build facilities to stink up our street anyway.

It is human nature to ruin things for everyone else. Be it trashing the coast, recreational areas, the streets, (*peoples YARDS fer cryin' outloud?!) the restrooms or... Well I don't want to sound like some lame environmentalist freak. But there is more to what goes on than lazy people turning the place into a garbage dump. A lot more.

Fishing without a license, to me, puts people in the same category. Often the folks I see doing this are the same ones leaving the trash behind when they walk right by the trash can leaving the dock. They're the same ones leaving hooks and whatnot for our kids and pets. They're the ones who'll take anything home they can catch "to hell with the fish population"...

I'm not sure if FireRox21 or some others really get why fishing without a license is such a crummy thing but it really is. From the work the DFG does to keep the place fishable, to hatcheries they're an important part of the cycle that makes fishing and all kinds of recreation possible. It *really* doesn't help that so many people take illegal fish out of the system... I sure as sheet don't wonder where all the fish have gone, it's blatantly obvious to anyone with their eyes open.

That M street dock... I don't know what some of you people do out there but if I didn't know better I'd assume it was a favorite place for kids to catch fish & blow them up with firecrackers or something - what a stinky piece of hell that place is. It's such a great spot but every time I've been there it's been barf-inducing. Not that it stopped me from fishing but it served as a reminder to try and be as clean as I can because not only do I want to go back but I think all the other responsible people deserve to enjoy the space as much as possible too.

When you combine all the symptoms of the worst of the people coming down here to fish with the immediate result and the longer term effect (and what it says about those people, that they can be this way) I wouldn't want to fish with them, would YOU? (sometimes it doesn't even matter, they'll take up all the space and suggest you go somewhere else, if they speak english)

Is there really a solution? On the bright side I doubt they'd ever put an end to the fishing. Will people ever learn to be responsible?

The idea of a group trying to make up for the ruiners is nice but I've never liked the idea of having to put so much time & money into fixing what shouldn't be broke- I'd rather be fishing. When someone comes up with a way to make people take responsibility for their actions and pay for their grievances that's the boat I'll be on 100%, fixing the problem instead of working on the symptoms - and I don't mean stepping up enforcement, that is not a system that works reliably enough for a majority of the problems. (I mean come on, you have to catch people red handed)