PDA

View Full Version : Mt Lassen/Shasta Trip, sorry, no pics

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Just returned today from the area. Fishing the area around the town of Burney was just ok because of the amount of snowfall this past winter was about half the usual and the early meltoff and early spring made the insect population explode a month early. We fished Baum Lake, parts of Hat Creek, Powerhouse I and II, Butte Lake, Crater Lake, and the Pit River. The fish gorged themselves on everything under the surface which made very little of the surface hatch. We still did pretty good on catching some 1 1/2 to 2 lb rainbows flyfishing using all nymphs the area is known for naturally. Bait and lure fishing was pretty tough though. Only the newly stocked 11 to 13 inch rainbows were stupid enough to take whatever we offered, but even though they were only stockers, they made for a great fresh caught dinner. Stockers planted in this area are of the Eagle Lake Strain, which are very colorful and have the "pink" meat looking like salmon......XLNT eating. Most of the stockers were caught on Salmon colored, chartruese w/glitter, pink w/glitter, and orange w/glitter Powerbait, some on nightcrawlers, some on live crickets, and some on salmon eggs. The DFG is still planting just about every week and with such light fishing pressure now, July fishing should be awesome! Anyone going to Baum Lake..........Float tube or a Jon boat with an electric trolling motor works the best for any notable catch. All in all, was another great annual trip for me, excpet of the gas prices :( Just over $600. for gas alone, glad we had free lodging at the bro-in-laws in Old Station ;) Best of luck to anyone going that way.