PDA

View Full Version : what do they look for @ a checkpoint?

badger
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM
i was reading that they do inspection check points / sobriety check points (this was at lake mead). i know the sobriety check but are you allowed to have alchohol on your boat?what do they inspect on the boat?

Daryl
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
You may posses alcohol but may not be under the influence of alcohol if you are operating the vessel. They will check to ensure that you have all required safety equipment e.g. life vests for everyone on board, fire extinguisher, whistle or horn, etc...

pyronut
06-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey there,

If you get stopped at one of these be prepared to get screwed. When I got stopped last year I had my father and a friend onboard. I had all the required safety equipment onboard but my father and friend had brought some beer with them. Well I don't drink but because there was empty beer cans I had to do a breath test and corodination test even though they were told I had not had a beer all day. It ended up being an hour of wasted time and anther thing I noticed was they only stop certain boats. It was really stupid......

Pyronut

badger
06-06-2008, 12:38 PM
thanks for the info. its good to know what the laws are, the boat is registered in mine and my g-friends name, being the registered owner do i have to be sober even if im not opperating the boat? (can i drink on my boat if she is the driver/owner?). as for the safety vest do they have to be those orange lil dinky ones or can the be the ones with the buckles like the ones you use to tube in? thanks in advance!

Daryl
06-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Good point pyro. Make sure you keep empty beer cans out of sight whether you're drinking or not. And if you get caught drinking and boating, it's the same as getting a DUI in a car. You get arrested right there and go to jail and face the exact same consequences. I've noticed that they do tend to profile at the checkpoints.

pyronut
06-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey,

Yes either life jacket will work for you out here. If you carry ski jackets make sure you have have one that fit each person properly and if youhave the orange floats you will be ok. As to drinking on board make sure you have one person who never takes a drink cause the DFG has really been cracking down on drinking and boating. If you do get stopped and the person driving has had only one beer and they have to do a breath test that person will go to jail for drunk driving. The same laws as to driving and boating are somewhat the same but no limit on the water. If you have alcohol in your system while operating a boat your drunk driving period. Not like a car where .08 is the limit.

Be safe and have fun out here on this great lake...

Pyronut

badger
06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey,

Yes either life jacket will work for you out here. If you carry ski jackets make sure you have have one that fit each person properly and if youhave the orange floats you will be ok. As to drinking on board make sure you have one person who never takes a drink cause the DFG has really been cracking down on drinking and boating. If you do get stopped and the person driving has had only one beer and they have to do a breath test that person will go to jail for drunk driving. The same laws as to driving and boating are somewhat the same but no limit on the water. If you have alcohol in your system while operating a boat your drunk driving period. Not like a car where .08 is the limit.

Pyronut

thanks pyro!

buttflyzzz
06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
yea so a quick story... we were coming back after a long day fishing drinking and just hanging out in havasu. We were pulling into site 6 launch and we see this sheriff just sitting there. Well to make a long story short, the officer came up to us. We were good, had a sober driver all the saftey stuff. they asked who drove here my friend said well "i did". They would not let my sober friend leave the boat with us because we were drinking so my friend who was the least buzzed by this time walked up to get the boat and trailer. they waited for him to put the keys in and no sooner they pulled him out of the truck got him for dui and made us walk home. we went back that night and took the boat where they beached it on the side. i hope my story isnt to long. your topic just brought back memories:rolleyes:

9kfever
06-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Hey,

Pyronut

I have been watching this series called "Party Police" on Tru TV (formerly court TV) and they had a few episodes from Havasu. They were using breathalizers and were saying the legal limit was .08

Everytime I have gone to Havasu I was told the same. Are you sure about the no alcohol whatsoever law?

buttflyzzz
06-08-2008, 08:17 AM
it is .08 i lived there for years

pyronut
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I have been watching this series called "Party Police" on Tru TV (formerly court TV) and they had a few episodes from Havasu. They were using breathalizers and were saying the legal limit was .08

Everytime I have gone to Havasu I was told the same. Are you sure about the no alcohol whatsoever law?

Yes I am positive about that that. I have just got home from picking up a buddy from the Jail for boating and drinking. He was well under the .08 limit. In fact he blew a .02 but because he had a little wake behind the boat the cop said his judgement was impaired and they cuffed him. It is so much easier to just not drink or have someone be the driver and not drink at all. They are not messing around after a bad summer last year.

Pyronut

5150xj
06-08-2008, 07:45 PM
This for Ca.
http://dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/

Alcohol is a factor in 24 percent of all fatal motorboat accidents in California.
State law specifies that:

1. No person shall operate any vessel, water skis or similar device while
under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. No person who is
addicted to any drug shall operate any vessel, water skis or similar device.

2. No person 21 years of age or older shall operate any vessel, water skis
or similar device who has .08% or more, by weight, of alcohol in their
blood. A level of at least .05% but less than .08% may be used with other
evidence in determining whether the person was under the influence of
alcohol. A person under 21 years of age or older who has been arrested
for operating a mechanically propelled vessel "under the influence" may
........be requested to submit to a chemical test to determine blood-alcohol
........content. Refusal may result in increased penalties upon conviction. A
........person convicted of intoxicated boat operation could receive up to a
........$1,000 fine and six months in jail.

3. No person under 21 years of age may operate a vessel, water skis or
........similar device who has .01% or more, by weight, of alcohol in their
........blood. Penalties may include a fine of up to $250, and participation in
........an alcohol education or community service program.

4. If you are convicted of operating a vessel while intoxicated, the Department
of Motor Vehicles may suspend or revoke your vehicle driver's
license. Depending upon the number and type of vehicle and/or vessel
violations accumulated, this suspension/revocation could be for up to
5 years, and result in fines of up to $1,000.

9kfever
06-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Yes I am positive about that that. I have just got home from picking up a buddy from the Jail for boating and drinking. He was well under the .08 limit. In fact he blew a .02 but because he had a little wake behind the boat the cop said his judgement was impaired and they cuffed him. It is so much easier to just not drink or have someone be the driver and not drink at all. They are not messing around after a bad summer last year.

Pyronut

That is the same as with a car. The legal limit in CA is .08 but you can be given a DUI for under .08 ... It is officer discretion. There is more than likely more to you friends story. He possibly failed some field sobriety tests or was disrespectful or just ran into a ******** cop.

<~~~~degree in Criminal Justice

Troutman65
06-18-2008, 10:49 AM

I have seen this this Party Police on Tru TV. They did quite a few shows on Havasu. I liked the show. I like Havasu.

TM65

pyronut
06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
That is the same as with a car. The legal limit in CA is .08 but you can be given a DUI for under .08 ... It is officer discretion. There is more than likely more to you friends story. He possibly failed some field sobriety tests or was disrespectful or just ran into a ******** cop.

<~~~~degree in Criminal Justice

No he wasnt running his mouth off. Lake Mead is run by the National Park Service and alot of them are real aholes. They would write there own mother a ticket if they got the chance. Thats the one bad thing about going to Lake Mead. The federal Park Rangers there can basically make up there own laws and you really can't fight them.

Hell I got a ticket last weekend from one because I was Bowfishing for carp. He gave me the ticket because he felt I fell under the same laws as spear fisherman. He said also it is considered a weapon on the park and is also outlawed. My court date is in mid august if I want to fight it but if I dont pay the ticket buy mid july then they issue a warrent for my arrest. Explain to me how this is fair and just.............