PDA

View Full Version : Rods for surf?

dockboy
06-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey guys, wazup? I surf fish every once and a while. I've always used the basic 6lb for bait and small grubs, and a setup for 3-4" swimbaits. I have plenty of bass gear as a tourney fisherman. What rating and action setup do you recommend for the Flashminnows and other big ripbaits?

megafisher94
06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
swimbait/halibut rods:
i like 7- 7 1/2ft rods with alot of backbone
as for line i use 8- 15lb depending on the conditions(surf, rocks, ect.)
and for reels i like abu garcia ambassaduers

grub/perch rods:
7- 8 ft rods are great, you want one that you can handle well and feel bites on.
line use 4-8lb depending on conditions
reels, (i use spinning reels for this) you realy cant go wrong with but everyone has thier prefrances

good luck!!!

ToadsToadsOnly
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I would Recommend a 8-8 1/2 ft rod for the LC's 30 lb Suffix performance braid/15-25 lb flouro leader and any of your bass reels would work. When fishing Braid your swimbait swims better and you get that extra casting advantage also when you hook into that big mama she's not going anywhere. Also if you have any suspending jerk baits in patterns that would resemble smelt, chovies, or sardine they work also.

If you dropshot bring your traditional flukes or plastic worms with blue they will work. Long rod recommended for the extra casting advantage.

dockboy
06-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Plenty of spin setups that I can use, Not sure I'll dropshot though, half the reason I want to go to the surf is for a change in technique :LOL: I've a couple lighter flippin' sticks for the larger swimbaits I can use to throw for the halis, and a few Cardiffs I use for freshwater swimbaits. I also use a 7" MH with a lot of backbone for the smaller swimbaits. I have a 7 1/2 ft Medium Crankin' Stick I use for the big deep divers in freshwater. Will this be too light? I have other rods in that length but they are stiffer than I normally throw for braid. I don't have any rods larger than 8' and the only 8' I'm with right now is a Dobyns 805 punching setup.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
06-05-2008, 08:12 AM
I Use My Flipping Stick Rated 10 To 20 Lb.with A Diawa Coastal Reel. Loaded ,with 8lb. Dia. 20lb. Rated Crystal Fireline. P-line Floro 10lb . A #2 Drop Shot Hook, And 5/8 To 1/2oz Cone Wieght With A Bottom Split Shot,for Some Rattle. I Like The 3" Flash Trix Minnows , Small Green Back Flukes ,or Yamomoto Grubs. Weve Been Nailing The Halis, Bass, And Croakers ,on The Drop Shot. The Flipping Stick Is Perfect, And You Also Can Throw Lead Head Swim Baits. The Flipping Stick Has Power ,to Handle Any Thing Locally. I Use It Off The Half Day Boats. Hope This Helps And Good Luck...mike The Pmb.....

mrjonez
06-05-2008, 09:44 AM
i just saw in WON that sport chalet has shimano citica's on sale for $70 and it comes with a free rod. that's a great reel for surf and almost half off.

i just got a berkley air 7 rod and an ambassador c4. the whole set up will cost around $150 and is killer.

dockboy
06-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I've got a plenty of flippin' setups. I usually throw my Okuma swimbait rods with a Cardiff 300 or 400 for my 1/2-3/4 trips. Good stuff, and one piece so it weighs much less than a comparable flipin' stick. The flip sticks rock for inshore jigging though. Thanks for the advice. Sport Chalet will be having the $70 deal on the Citicas, as mentioned (I'm an employee in the Fishing section of the Plamdale store). Take advantage of it while you can people! Most of our stores have 2 of each left and right hand versions, not including displays. They won't last long, so get on it :Twisted:

tr0psn4j
06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Plenty of spin setups that I can use, Not sure I'll dropshot though, half the reason I want to go to the surf is for a change in technique :LOL: I've a couple lighter flippin' sticks for the larger swimbaits I can use to throw for the halis, and a few Cardiffs I use for freshwater swimbaits. I also use a 7" MH with a lot of backbone for the smaller swimbaits. I have a 7 1/2 ft Medium Crankin' Stick I use for the big deep divers in freshwater. Will this be too light? I have other rods in that length but they are stiffer than I normally throw for braid. I don't have any rods larger than 8' and the only 8' I'm with right now is a Dobyns 805 punching setup.

I'd use the Crankin' Stick.