PDA

View Full Version : 6-1-08 NPH 1st post w/pictures!!!!

bergie berg
06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey everyone I am a new member here so let me introduce myself real quick. I am a 20 yr old biology major at a small liberal arts college in LA called Occidental college. I mostly kayak fish with my dad but I also do a bit of surf fishing as well to mix it up. I have been reading all of your reports for the past few months and I want to thank all of you for the great tips, info, and fish stories that gave me a breath of fresh air during the day.

So here goes the report. Since I got out of school on May 9th my dad and I have been fishing NPH from the kayak about twice a week we have caught (and released) many barracuda, bass (sand, spotted bay, and calico), halibut, and believe it or not a salmon. I do not have a picture of the salmon, as I never used to carry a camera on the yak, but I have been fishing in southern California all of my life and have never seen anything like it and my dad grew up salmon fishing in the Pacific Northwest and he had no doubt it was a salmon (his guess was a coho). Needless to say I now always carry a camera on fishing trips!!!

This past sunday my dad and I launched out of the 9th street beach around 10 and fished all along the docks out to the mouth of the harbor. Along the docks we caught a few small halibut (15-18 inches) and bay bass with jerk shads and 3’ big hammers

We then worked our way out to the bait barge where we found a great bite on the sand bass, calico bass, and a nice barracuda that got chomped by one of those sea lions. Most of the bass were about 10 to 12 inches, so enjoy the pictures. All fish released to go get big and fat and make more just like em'.

p.s. I have been using swimbaits in the harbor with not much sucess, I normally use a steady retrieve around the docks, if you guys have any tips I would appreciate it. Also a guy told me that trolling rapalas in the harbor was money on the halibut, I trolled one for about half an hour with no sucess have any of you guys tried this or was this guy just full of it???

TARHEEL15
06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Nice job, those are some real nice fish!

BupkAngler
06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Nice report, looking forward to more.

Wingnut
06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the board, great 1st report, keep up the nice work! :cool: :D

surfnfish
06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
If you wanna troll the harbor, in my opinion the best bait you can use is a jointed deep diving megabait JB-120 in either chrome and black or sardine. You'll catch lots of butts and it's surprising to see the amount of spotties that eat up this big bait.

surfnfish
06-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I forgot to add when fishing soft plastics like swimbaits or grubs, i try to fish as slow as possible and use a stop and go retrieve more-so than a steady one. most of my hits come when i stop the bait then just start to hop it again, the bass can't stand it. Good Luck!

sonarbp
06-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Welcome to the board! Very nice report and pics!!!!!

sonarbp

fishmaniac
06-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Welcome fellow angler! Nice report WITH pics (very important!).

Fish on my friend, fish on...

CoffeaRobusta
06-07-2008, 08:24 AM
:Applause: Very nice.....keep the reports coming.

samgann93
06-07-2008, 10:05 AM
great job. i gotta try fishin the harbor sometime.

ken725
06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Trolling rapalas does work well in the harbor. Try trolling strating in front of coast guard and going left into the channel, I have got some nice fish there.

legacy1
06-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the report...

ROTO_ROOTER
06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
nice catch what kind of kayak do you and your dad use ??

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-08-2008, 08:07 PM
congrats on all the catches...welcome aboard FNN...gotta love Newport !
Gary