PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Sierra 3 Day Weekend

rotto84
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Just returned from a perfect sierra three day weekend:

BASIC FACTS:

WHEN: Friday, May 30 - Sunday, June 1.

WHERE FISHED: Bishop Creek, South Lake, Walker River, Rock Creek & the Owens River.

FISH CAUGHT: (ALL CAUGHT & RELEASED) one small brown on the Walker (barbless Mepps), 13 small rainbow on Rock Creek (Mepps & salmon eggs/small hook and split shot), 41 small to two pound rainbow and 3 small brown on the Owen's River (all on one barbless Mepps).

WEATHER: Absolutely perfect. Tee shirt weather during the day, no wind, cool nights, and lots of sunshine.

WATER FLOW: Ideal, mid summer flows on the Walker and Owens.

DETAILS:

Went on my first sierra trip of the year. Started by scouting out the Parcher Resort area since I am going on the Parcher Trip, and I have never been to that area. Went in the lodge, and was greeted by SIERRA SMITTY!!! He was really helpful, and the resort looks great. I quickly tried South Lake for about 45 minutes with no results. I did not give it much of a chance, because I had several more places to check out.

Went to Bridgeport and tried for about two hours on the Walker with several misses and one small brown. The fly fishermen were doing much better, but it was still fun.

Saturday tried Rock Creek, but it was mostly hiking the creek and little fishing. Was having no luck on eggs or lures. Tried another part of the creek and caught 13 small rainbow. That is where I took the picture. I have an underwater camera, and even tried a few shots one fish was hooked up. Had a fantastic picture, but somehow lost it when I transferred the picture to my computer. Maybe some other time.

Finally ended up at the Owen's. I have fished there 3 times, and it has always been great. Sunday was the best ever. I only saw one or two people all day, and I spent the day catching trout. I lost two large fish. I caught 41 rainbow, and 3 brownies, but lost at least that many more. Fishing barbless really helps the fish stay in good shape, but I sure lose many more than usual. I could have stayed longer and caught more, but I had to head south.

It really could not have been a better weekend. I will be going up at least 4 times this summer, next with the Parcher's trip, and if any of my trips are close to this, I will be very happy.

MISC. DETAILS:
Blacktop (HWY 120) to Saddlebag was open, but the two mile road leading to the lake was closed.

Gas outside of Bishop was at $4.25.

Less traffic and campers than usual. Could be just where I was, or a sign of the high gas prices.

PM if you have questions/comments.

Rotto84

Granny Fish
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Nice pictures. It was a great weekend to be up there.

Koshaw
06-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Great report and super pics!

Glad you had a great time.

Be great to hook up at Parchers in a couple weeks :D

steve092
06-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Beautiful fish!

Did you debarb the Mepps or did you buy them already debarbed.

rotto84
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I always use my pliers and crimp the barbs. I love small Mepps spinners for ierra trout fishing.

DaFish
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice report and pics thanks.

I hope to get that kind of weather.

PINKMEAT
06-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Great report and beautiful pics!!!! Thank you!!!

sansou
06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Just saw this Rotto! Nice job! See you around soon.

diamondbear
06-08-2008, 03:34 PM
BEAUTIFUL PICS , GOOD REPORT , THANKS // db