PDA

View Full Version : Thresher Report 6/1, Pics 296 lbs

tunagod1
06-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Myfriend Mang, my son Cameron and myself decided to go t-sharking out of Dana Pt. on Sunday. We launched the boat at 6:00 am and started looking for mack's for bait. Well we spent about 2 hrs trying to get some macks and finally had about ten in the tank. So at about 8:30 we were off to the thresher grounds. The swell was a little up in the morning but as the day progressed the seas flatten out and at about 11:00 am the sun came out from behind the marine layer. Anyway we dumped the jigs in at about 9:00, we were trolling 3 BoM's in Pink, Blk/Purple, and a red/pink/chart/orange. We trolled, and we trolled, and we trolled... finally after the sun came out the bite started. I could here on the radio a few boats were hooking up. At 11:30 the center rod (RPCO Bom) goes off and the fight started. This was our first sharking adventure where we actually hooked the right kind of shark. We all took turns so that we could experience what it feels like to pull on heavy line.
After 2.5 hrs the fish was about 70 ft down and directly below the boat. we sat this way for 20 mins before a guy on the radio said that the shark had died out and to tighten the drag and bring him up. Not sure who that was but thanks for the advice. The guys on the "south Bend" let us borrow their flying gaff. The thresher was hooked about 16" from the end of the tail, right on the leading edge of the tail. Anyway we guestimated the fish at about 250 lbs. and decided that we didn't want to kill anymore (actually we were all beat) so we tied the shark up and had a nice cruise home. When we got back to the harbor, we cruised over to the weigh station to get a more accurate weight. There were three guys on a Parker that told us we should bring our fish up becuase their 210 lb thresher would eat ours. Well as soon as we brought the shark around from the otherside of the boat and drug it up on the dock the guy at the weigh station told them that they better put there shark back in the boat becuase ours was probably 100 lbs larger. The shark weighed 296 lbs and was 11" 2" from head to tail.

Tight lines

Tunagod1

chris
06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
good job on the big shark

Fishtaco
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Great job on a monster of a shark!!!!

steve092
06-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow!

Nice shark!

sansou
06-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Congrats on your first post....and nice shark!

Cangler
06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Awesome first post !!

Stormcrow
06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
You must be proud

barbiegirl
06-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Nice catch! Congrats! :)

TARHEEL15
06-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I bet that was a blast. Nice job!

rocklee
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
one question: Did you release the nice little fishy?

haha, j/k

must be one good experience to fight a shark like that!
I wonder how did that guy on the radio knew it was dead,
anyways great catch!
thanks for the report and pics!

bonestock
06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
T's fight until they die from exhaustion, especially if they are tail hooked.

paDDy
06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Nice going!

Funjunkie74
06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
What time is dinner?

FJ74

James343
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
T's fight until they die from exhaustion, especially if they are tail hooked.

Forgive my ignorance but what is "tail hooked"?

one_leg
06-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I eat thresher every once in a while.

That was a pretty good sized shark.

Enjoy your dinners!!!

O_L

tunagod1
06-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what is "tail hooked"?

"Tailhooked" implies just that, when a Thresher aproaches a bait it uses its tail to swat at the bait, stunning it, then comes back around to eat the stunned bait. Unfortunately, many times this swatting action on the jigs snags the tail of the Thresher. Since the Thresher is tailhooked it makes it very difficult to turn the fish around, and the Thresher will die trying to escape. From what I understand, a mouth hooked Thresher comes to the boat much sooner and can probably be released unharmed. Some of the Thresher guys use jigs with no hooks, when the Thresher "knocksdown" the jig with its tail the jigs are taken up and a bait is fed back to the Thresher.

Thanks for all the kind posts, been lurking for awhile with nothing to post

Thanks

Tuna