PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Rey Sun 6-1-08

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Hit up Marina Del Rey Sunday morning, met up with Rez and his buddy.

The tide was not optimum, in fact it was full on low tide still going out ! so fishing would be a little tough and I knew it but I figured something had to die after I spent all Friday night and all day Saturday moving out of my old apartment in Santa Monica.
I was in the mood for a bloodletting !

Carolina rigged live sardines “stitched” produced most of the fish I caught, I think I got 1 Seabass flylinning.

I ended up landing

3 White Seabass (way short of the legal 28” -slow to grow….so I let ‘em go)
2 Sandbass (14-16” legal but… slow to grow….so I let ‘em go)
1 Toad Halibut (Dinn’a last night for 5 plus a whole lot leftover)

I also got several other flattie bites w/o hooking ‘em, I probably had my bait sawed clean about 4 times and some real nice”thumps”.

In addition, I hooked into what looked like a real nice White Seabass and shortly after I hooked it…the damn resident Seal came up with it in his mouth….and that sucka popped me off at that point (Damn !)

I also had what I believe was a White Seabass follow my dine up to about a foot under the surface as I was reeling in, that sucka was huge, maybe 3’ at least, maybe more !!! I’m not 100% certain it was a seabass, but whatever it was, it was huge ! and it was hungry !

I hooked a big bat ray at the end of the extravaganza, I purposely busted him off as I stood no chance landing him on 15 lb test, he was already spooling me,I just pointed the pole directly at him and added pressure to the spool with my hand….and Pop !…..I’ll return on another day for some more ray action, this days goal was Halibut !

As for the meal..

“Thick” Halibut fillet chuncks prepared with Old Bay and Pappy’s seasoning, coated with Mckormick’s seafood, beer batter, deep fried till light golden brown.
Served up with, steamed Brocolli,Cauliflower,Zuccini, rice, spiced green olives, Garlic bread, lemon wedges….Damn, I’m salivating as I type this !!!!

I didn’t take any photo’s of the other fish as my camera batteries died, Rob was kind enough to take the 2 photos below for me.

I wanted to break in my brand new Shimano Curado Baitcaster and Crucial 7 ½’pole I received as an early birthday present !
That sucka handled that ‘ol flattie great and I’m glad I was running 15 lb test as he took drag pretty well and I had to keep ‘em from the pilings ! the pole did it’s job and I did mine, can’t wait to get the next one on that pole, I landed 5 of 6 fish on it.

The fishing would have been hotter if the tide was working for us.

It was a fun day and a great dinner.

I also saw another FNN’r there…I think he said his name was Tony but I’m not sure, he managed a nice halibut also….maybe he’ll post up…and say hi..

Gary

P.S.
That was a real nice photo Rob took, if you look closely, you can see the teeth..

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MDRHalibut6-1-081.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/MDRHalibut6-1-082.jpg

barbiegirl
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Impressive as always!

ThemBastards
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Nice Halibut Gary

paDDy
06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Nice flatty!

troutdog
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Great job Chef Gary....nice halibut, congrats to you!

TD

crivera175
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
NICE CATCH:Applause::Applause:

doyoufishmuch
06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Haha, great report once again gary! That butts a beauty. Your posts never cease to give me that itch to go fish or leave me drooling at the thought of the meal fit for a king:Beer Toast:

4g63power
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
congrats gary..hope you get a legal croaker next time

GeordyBass
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
freaken sweet!Nice hali dude!I'm still waitin' for the invite!LOL

McMeathead
06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
What does 'stitched' mean? --Carolina rigged live sardines “stitched”---

SOSO
06-02-2008, 06:15 PM

I'm guessing something like a trap hook?

Wingnut
06-02-2008, 09:17 PM
That's one beautiful Flat Boy Gary, enjoy the fruit of your labor. ;)

crappiemike
06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Way To Go Out There I Was Out There Sunday
Ended Up With A Short Cuda And A Sand Bass... Anyways Nice Catch!

Cm

crappie stalker
06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Outstanding flattie you caught.. mmm mmm good..

CS

BingJr
06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
you and your "stitching" lol. Awsome job brudda. You the slay master

trollmiester
06-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Mr.halibut halibut king halibutmiester Kinghalibut just to name a few names for garys nickname.

steve092
06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Good job Gary!

rocklee
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Halibut are yummy!

breeze71
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM

After 2 packs of cigarettes & a 5 mile trek to his fishing hole, stitching becomes a new meaning for soon to be 60 year old batman :LOL:

That's one nice flattie my friend. Good job bro.

Hey if you're not gonna spill any blood on my boat the least I you can do is save me a nice fat fillet of Halibut!

calcutta and butts
06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
congrats on the catch.it was nice meeting u down there. that was a nice sized halibut. it put mine to shame.

Mondo21
06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Nice fish Gary.
The price for a Halibut is $14.00 a lb.:OMG!: at Trader Joes. I can't remember if that was a sale price or not. Cindy (Hitts Mom) in case you forgot:p.

Tikka
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
VERY NICE!!!....hey you should get SOSOFRESH to show you how to "lip" those big suckers with your thumb....then post us a pic of whats left of the thumb!!!
I've got to try live bait sometime...
Tikka