PDA

View Full Version : question

crivera175
06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
i'am throwing a 5/8oz lucky craft into the shore and it looks like the knot is coming untied:(i've broken 2 these past 2 weekends luckily they suspend and i found them.what type of knot should i use

cappo
06-02-2008, 11:01 AM
What knot are you using?

I like to tie a SD Jam knot on all jigs and cranks.

sonarbp
06-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Like cappo stated.....San Diego Jam is the knot to tie!!!!! Strong and quick knot to tie....real easy to learn!!!

The San Diego Jam Knot
Also called a Reverse Clinch or Heiliger knot, it is very popular with long range fishermen (hence the name). This high test knot (95% when tied properly) can be used on many line sizes, with the number of turns decreasing as the line test increases.

1. Pass the line through the eye of the hook, swivel, or lure. Double back over the main line.
2. Begin making turns over the main line. The number of turns varies with line size, from 8 turns with 10lb line down to 3 turns with 40 lb.
3. Complete the appropriate number of turns, then thread the tag end of the first loop above the eye.
4. Holding the coils in place, pass the tag end through the loop created by the last coil of the knot.
5. Hold the tag end and standing line while pulling up the coils. Make sure the coils are in a spiral, not overlapping each other. Slide against the eye. Clip the tag end.

http://www.marlinnut.com/knots/sandiego.shtml

sonarbp

Nessie Hunter
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Throwing a heavy lure or iron...

My preference is a knot that has 2 loops through the eye.. Palomar or improved clinch (Trilene knot)....

So far, so good... No problems yet..

crivera175
06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
thanks alot guys you've helped alot:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

deanhall32
06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Palomar knot up to 40lb test.

Billy Bass
06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Besides tying a palomar or San diego knot make sure that your line is fairly new. I lost a brand new raider jig once that way.