PDA

View Full Version : Cudas 6/1/08

Jared
06-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning, hoping to get to Newport Dunes by 6 at the latest, but I completely forgot that we still had to fill up on gas. That ended up taking about 15 minutes. Unfortunately didn’t get there until 6:30, but we still had to launch, and get bait. So we don’t get to the bait receiver until 6:50. Finally time to leave the harbor. We leave the harbor and immediately start seeing birds diving and barracuda boiling about 1 mile out. When we get to the spot there is still tones of life around. Once we shut off the motor I start throwing some irons and ended up catching one. My uncle also hooks up, but his comes off. About 10 minutes later they decide to just disappear. We didn’t catch a single fish the rest of the day, but we say lots of birds. But each time we went to go check them out, it ended up just being a bunch of dolphins as far as I could see. Then at around 2 we decide to head back in because we couldn’t find any fish. My barracuda was measured at 38” long.

Total count;

Me: 1 barracuda

My uncle: 0 fish

chris
06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
that's a nice barracuda

Funjunkie74
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice report Jared! Too bad you didn't get into the feeding frenzy like it was yesterday. But I will tell you this, we moved a lot! The whole day was about trying to stay in front of the barries as they chased down the bait. And they were FAST!! We would stop, cast out twice then move, cast out...then move again. It was busy!! It was never a sit and hit day!

Next time, chase the birds, try to get in front of them and you'll hit more of them!

FJ74

one_leg
06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Jared, thanks for posting the report and pic of your big cuda!.

O_L