PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob. What to take.

DaveR
05-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Been on a couple local trips, but nothing long range. Will be going out on a 2 day boat out of San Diego. We'll be doing rental rods since honestly I don't know if I'll stick with this. I love my fresh water fishing, but have been out on local off shore boats 3 times, and had fairly bad expeiences all three times.

With that in mind, what should we take? If we're doing rental equipment, what does the boat supply, and what would you recommend I pick up to supplement that?

Any tips appreciated. It's really a trip for my 15 year old (his first time saltwater fishing) and want to make sure he has a good time.

defiantej
05-31-2008, 01:37 PM
cash! first time i went in a long time i forgot about all the other things u have to pay for when u "get" on the boat. had to rip apart my wallet to find enough change to pay for a sack haha. starved the whole day too :( and couldnt get in on the jackpot either haha. and i would say that could possibly kill your fishing trip...stressing out always kills a good day!

Tail Chaser
05-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Could call the landing. They should know.
If your not going out till next week.
Theres a lot of FNN cattle boat guys that will answer your questions.
When they get back on the computer.

Bummer your local trips sucked.

Wyatt-Da-Bassaholic
05-31-2008, 02:36 PM
This is more to help you and your son. If this is he's first time make sure before his goes to bed the night before you leave he takes some motion sickness pills, and then again about 45mins. prior to getting on the boat. It only takes alittle sickness to grow to be his worst time on the boat. If he gets sick at the begining, he will be sick the whole time and the boat will not turn around because he,s been throwing-up for hours. I've learned from taking out my own son. Good Luck guys , hope you slay'em. Have fun.

Wyatt-Da-Bassaholic/ Team Hook'em

bsp
05-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Been on a couple local trips, but nothing long range. Will be going out on a 2 day boat out of San Diego. We'll be doing rental rods since honestly I don't know if I'll stick with this. I love my fresh water fishing, but have been out on local off shore boats 3 times, and had fairly bad expeiences all three times.

With that in mind, what should we take? If we're doing rental equipment, what does the boat supply, and what would you recommend I pick up to supplement that?

Any tips appreciated. It's really a trip for my 15 year old (his first time saltwater fishing) and want to make sure he has a good time.

I would recommend NOT doing a 2 day as your son's first trip. 1/2 days are a lot better since they are a lot less hectic, and it is also not as big a waste of money if he does not like it. If you guys get sea sick take Dramamine. I was so sick on my first overnighter (14 foot seas) that I lost both of my dodos at deep color because I was so tired from puking that I just busted them off.

Funjunkie74
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
DaveR,
I'm sorry to hear about your foul experiences on local boats.
But as BSP suggested, I would not recommend that you take your boy out on a 2-day trip as his first. ESPECIALLY because both of you do not have much experience.

Aside from the actual fishing, there is a certain "pace" on these boats that is to be expected from everyone. I'm talking about the "tuna shuffle", "over-under", "hot rail" dance. No one really explains this too much, deckhands will try to help you but they're not always available and all too often, this is where people get hurt (both physically and sometimes emotionally).

I have seen many "close calls" where jigs are literally inches away from a "lost" 15 year old trying to figure out where to stand!! I yell at these kids to make them aware, most times the father's first reaction is to yell back at me...only to realize afterwards I just saved his son's eyeball!!

When the bite is on, the boat is an extremely dangerous place. Especially because everyone is trying to get on the fish, EVEN YOU! So don't think "I'll keep an eye out for him" is gonna work. Adrenaline starts pumping, big fish coming over the rails, and you easily forget that you even had a son to start with!!

I would recommend starting with an overnight trip or even a 3/4-day trip first.
There he can see what it's like to be among 30 other people fishing, the pace, learning to keep an eye/ear open for flying lures/hooked bait, the constant rocking of the boat, and the "what to do and what not to do"s. At the same time, you can talk to the saltys about gear, tackle and techniques.

You can PM me if for more info or if you'd like to join our next outing.
Check: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=18658

FJ74

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
DaveR,
I'm sorry to hear about your foul experiences on local boats.
But as BSP suggested, I would not recommend that you take your boy out on a 2-day trip as his first. ESPECIALLY because both of you do not have much experience.

Aside from the actual fishing, there is a certain "pace" on these boats that is to be expected from everyone. I'm talking about the "tuna shuffle", "over-under", "hot rail" dance. No one really explains this too much, deckhands will try to help you but they're not always available and all too often, this is where people get hurt (both physically and sometimes emotionally).

I have seen many "close calls" where jigs are literally inches away from a "lost" 15 year old trying to figure out where to stand!! I yell at these kids to make them aware, most times the father's first reaction is to yell back at me...only to realize afterwards I just saved his son's eyeball!!

When the bite is on, the boat is an extremely dangerous place. Especially because everyone is trying to get on the fish, EVEN YOU! So don't think "I'll keep an eye out for him" is gonna work. Adrenaline starts pumping, big fish coming over the rails, and you easily forget that you even had a son to start with!!

I would recommend starting with an overnight trip or even a 3/4-day trip first.
There he can see what it's like to be among 30 other people fishing, the pace, learning to keep an eye/ear open for flying lures/hooked bait, the constant rocking of the boat, and the "what to do and what not to do"s. At the same time, you can talk to the saltys about gear, tackle and techniques.

You can PM me if for more info or if you'd like to join our next outing.
Check: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=18658

FJ74

funjunkie and bsp are right on..i wouldnt take a first timer on a cattle boat on a 2day even a 1 day 1/2 is bad try taking him on a 1/2 boat or 3/4 day waters should be calmer...:)

Ricky-Ray
06-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your 3 bad experiences on the salt. I had to agree with the guy's above, if it's your kid's first time out you might want to consider a shorter trip like a 1/2 day, 3/4 day or overnighter at the most. Less money and if he doesn't like it he won't be on the water that long of a time compared to 2 days. When are you planning on going? That can really make a difference on what type of gear and tackle to bring or buy. Most boat's carry terminal tackle and the basic jigs so that if you don't have them or run out you can buy it from them so you don't have to load up on tons of gear too.

Funjunkie74
06-06-2008, 10:37 PM
WHERE ARE YOU?!?!

We gave you good advise and want to know if you took your son out to fish!!
What kind of trip did you decide on?!?

And if you did go out with your son, WHERE'S THE REPORT!!!
We want to see your son's big smile with a big fish!!

FJ74

Manny
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Great thread! My 14 yr. old and I are going on our 1st ocean trip on fathers day weekend. We are doing the 1/2 day. I will definately apply the above mentioned advi ce.

DaveR
06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Still here. I'm going to be booking a trip this week for the end of June time frame.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll definately post a report when we get back.

BingJr
06-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Took my 8yo on a 1/2 day cudda fishing a few years ago, Id cast out the iron, hand him the rod and hed wind his little arms off. I would cast out a 2nd rod and when he got the first one in, wed switch. He caught 7 Barracuda, most as tall as him, he caught everyone on the jig and he loved them striking the jig while he was winding. he had an absolute blast and talks about it almost every day. It hooked him and that passion has carried over into the freshwater fishing as well. He already has me booking a long range trip from him in a few years cuz his new dream is a wahoo cuz its a bigger version on the Cudas in his mind. We may be doing a 2.5 day later this year together but the shorter experience is always a good idea to start out. And carefully picking a time when the sandies or cuda are biting will ensure the love for the trip. Rock fishing and the basic drifting on the flats for nothing trips that 1/2 days are known for can turn anyone off to the salt.

DaveR
06-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Well we just got back off the 2 day trip on the first string. Went good. Low load on the boat (20 guys), and it made for a pleasant trip. Would had been better had I not started getting sick right before the trip (flu or something), but I made the best of it for him. The 2nd evening on the boat it was all I could do the last couple hours to stay on deck. Rough.

Fishing was slow to say the least. Total fish count was about 12 albacore and 4 yellowtail. My son got 1 albacore off the troll, and another on bait, caught a small shark, and had a blast hanging with the older dudes later that night catching squid (I was sick and in bed). I got an alabacore on the troll as well.

So it was a great trip for the boy, and I don't regret taking the long range trip with him for his first experience at all. In fact, with the low load, I think it was definately the way to go. With the exception of the requisite resident "know it all" who seem to always find there way into these things on the boat that had to continually tell everyone else how they were doing everything wrong, it was a real good trip with a good group of guys. A couple of the experienced guys finally got him to shut his yap, advising that he was creating many more problems and tension than he was preventing. Reminds me of the old adage "if you're the only one who thinks you're right, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your position".

Crew was great, and were really looking out for the kid and making sure he had a chance to catch a fish. Grabbing him and taking him to where he needed to go, show him where he needed to cast, filling him in on the troll roation anytime anyone didn't want their spot, etc. The cook even came out and started flipping sardines so he could hand the rod off to the kid if he hooked up.

Saw some killer whales pretty close to the boat, as well as countless dolphins, so that was nice for the kid as well.

So, a slow trip fishing wise, but a good one. Well worth the investment.

sweetfish
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Congrats on the Albies. Since it was your son's first, did the crew try to persuade him to eat the heart (tuna tradition)?

one_leg
06-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Far out man!!!!

That is sooooooo cool.

O_L

brianw
06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
i wish my first fishing trip was like this =(