PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Fish

jmurillo74
05-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I was just wondering, do some of you guys fish the Sierras specifically for bigger trout? I have been fishing the Sierras for 20 plus years now basically for the love of fishing itself. In the 20 plus years I had never caught anything over 2lbs. until last October when I caught a 4 lb. rainbow out of Lake George. Me, personally I think it has to do with being in the right place at the right time. Don't get me wrong, I could fish all day and not catch a thing, and still be happy, just being out there with my Dad and buddies is great and catching just adds to the experience. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing wrong when I go to Rick's and see a picture of six year old holding a 9 lb. trout. Anyway I will be up there in August and agian after Labor Day, good luck to those of heading up there sooner.

farmerandy16
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
pm sent.

-andy

Marley
06-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Two thoughts: Most of those kids didn't catch those fish, but look a whole lot cuter holding it than Dad would have. Also, big fish in the Sierras are a bonus to spending time in God's country. There are places that you can go and tactics you can use that will improve your chances, like fishing after an Alper's plant, but those fish aren't as big as they're cracked up to be. Don't get em wrong, they're beautiful fish and I love to catch them, but they're much-hyped.

Big Country
06-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Much hyped Marley???

I'll take a tiny Alpers over a big dfg stocker (which is about 12 inches max) any day of the week. Please don't try to discredit what Tim Alpers or his fish have done for that region over the years by saying the fish are hype.

With the state budget cuts and all the other bs that has gone on with the dfg and their stocking program, the Alpers have really kept the area (meaning both the fish and economy) strong.

If you're just talking about the fish all by themselves, dfg fish don't have pink meat, they are severely undersized and I can get the same type of fish hitting the east or west fork of Azusa canyon.

There are a lot of strains of fish swimming in the sierras and thankfully a lot fo lake concessioners have taking to breeding their own fish in pens and raising them to 2 to 3 lbs before they let them loose, but the Alpers are the undisputed King Kong's of the region that look and taste like a salmon and there is nothing else like them up there.

Marley
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
If you're just talking about the fish all by themselves, dfg fish don't have pink meat, they are severely undersized and I can get the same type of fish hitting the east or west fork of Azusa canyon.

The gist of my post exactly. I see post after post of guys seemingly losing their minds over 100-plus fish days after the hatchery truck pulls away, talking about how epic the fishing was and that's why they drive up there, the fishing is so good.
DO NOT get me wrong: I love to fish trout and I love to do it often. That means that I fish places where they plant fish. If we were honest with ourselves and each other, we all do or we wouldn't be fishing California, or anywhere else close by for that matter. Folks who get their noses all bent out of shape over "truck-chasers" leave me shaking my head. If it weren't for those trucks, wherever they fill up with fish, we likely would not fish at all.
And I do not disparage Mr. Alpers for what he has done (I've never met him, let alone know him, and because I greatly respect him for what he has done for the entire sport of fishing and more importantly for the Eastern Siera, I could never call him simply "Tim"). He would have been ideal for the DFG post for which he was suggested.
His fish are quality fish, no doubt. But when I hear of a plant of 4- to 6-pound fish, and all I see is (VERY NICE) 2-pound stuff, then yeah, they're used to create hype. But ya know what? I bet you that 'Loomis stick that I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to pitch 'crawlers at them every chance I get.
BTW, I fish the opener each year at Crowley specifically for the size and quality of the fish taken there. Those fish are a cut above, as close to wild as you'll get and almost all have that tasty (although not salmon) orange meat. If I'm lucky to get back up there at other times of they year, I just enjoy fishing in the Sierras.

Big Country
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Point taken Marley...it just came across to me that you thought the fish were of the same "quality" as the dfg stockers and that they are just hyped as being better.

Next to hanging a big brown, I'll take an Alpers regardless of their size...just my humble opinion though.

Tight lines and good luck on all your trips to the sierras!

Marley
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Next to hanging a big brown, I'll take an Alpers regardless of their size...just my humble opinion though.

Tight lines and good luck on all your trips to the sierras!

Yup!
Tight lines back atcha, maybe we'll run into each other up there some time.

greeper
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM
u don't want to actually run into Big Country he's a Big MOFO:LOL::LOL: Meeting him might be a better plan...

Hey BC when you gonna head up that way?

Big Country
06-03-2008, 07:45 AM
No drama with me Greeper, I'm fun loving unless you cross my lines by trolling a boat too close to shore - then I just do a cannonball and sink you. Ha!

I'm in Mammoth July 10th - 17th and then again Sept. 12th - 15th.

I'll also be in B-port for the closer I think Nov. 11th - 16th.

Let's see...That will be a combined gas bill of at least $1,500. Time to start hiding money from the wifey.

Hopefully you'll be up there during one of those times.

jmurillo74
06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Nice thread jack!

Marley
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
u don't want to actually run into Big Country he's a Big MOFO:LOL::LOL: Meeting him might be a better plan...

Well, I wouldn't want to hurt him ;) , maybe just meeting would be better for both.

bsp
06-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I was just wondering, do some of you guys fish the Sierras specifically for bigger trout? I have been fishing the Sierras for 20 plus years now basically for the love of fishing itself. In the 20 plus years I had never caught anything over 2lbs. until last October when I caught a 4 lb. rainbow out of Lake George. Me, personally I think it has to do with being in the right place at the right time. Don't get me wrong, I could fish all day and not catch a thing, and still be happy, just being out there with my Dad and buddies is great and catching just adds to the experience. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing wrong when I go to Rick's and see a picture of six year old holding a 9 lb. trout. Anyway I will be up there in August and agian after Labor Day, good luck to those of heading up there sooner.

If you are serious about getting big trout start throwing big jerkbaits in Rainbow trout patterns.

dockboy
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Yup big ripbaits and streamers. Match the hatch. Brook trout and rainbow imitations in the Twin Lakes and Mammoth Lakes. Tui chub (black/gold/orange belly) in the June Lakes Loop. And I mean big... the friends who taught me this fishes Rapala F9s and 5" Daiwa TD Minnows. I like the Pins Minnows when I"m spin fishing, catch plenty of fish and a good amount in the 15" + range. I usually flyfish. My big fish setup is a 7wt. with a 200 grain sink tip or full sink lines. Usually throw big leeches and perch flies in the size 4-6 range if I want a big boy. Believe or not, you can catch massive bows and browns skating a mouse fly in dark and lowlight conditions. Can't tell you where though.
Also, fish where big fish live. Mammoth Lakes have the Alpers and some huge fish. But the most consistent hog producers are the Twin LAkes Loop (especially Grant), Crowley, the Twin Lakes in Bridgeport, and Bridgeport Reservoir. My friends I mentioned above fishes Grant Lake most of the time. His average fish is 3 pounds.

greeper
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, I wouldn't want to hurt him ;) , maybe just meeting would be better for both.

I was just joking he's a BIG BOY but just like a puppy dog:D
sorry bout the thread jack just having fun

Granny Fish
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM

There are some big ones out there for those who are willing to find them... and I'd love to hook into a big brown one day. I bet it would be a great fight! That is my dream. But that does not keep me from fishing the skinny water for the little brookies. Nothing taste better than a brooky rolled in flour and cooked in bacon grease. As a last resort, I am not above catching anything that will pull on my line. ;)

PINKMEAT
06-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Me and my 2 friends will be headed out for a long over-due trip and hope to be knee deep in PINKMEAT come Sunday!!! We will be staying in the bishop south fork area but we will be fishing crowley on friday and the south fork sat/sun....so i will be posting some pics of those BELOVED ALPERS!!!! TIGHT LINES!!!!!!!!!!!

PINKMEAT
06-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Also forgot to mention....if youre really serious about catching the BIG BOYS youre going to have to get wet(WADERS)....i've caught my fair share of big fish and personally i think you need to get in there with them and track them down...following the stock truck is not what i am talking about either...just my 2 cents.

jmurillo74
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, can't wait for my trips up the Sierras this year.

dockboy
06-06-2008, 12:10 AM
The big browns are fun. I rate a big 'bow as a better fighter day long though. All my large browns have been good fighters, but nowhere near to a large rainbow. The biggest fish I ever hooked on a flyrod was a 'bow on the Little Truckee. The fish came out of the water three times, and he had to be 10lbs. easy. Fought him on a 4wt. for about 10 minutes before he made another jump and broke the tippet on a exposed rock on the way down. Also landed an 8lb. brown on the last cast that same day :) But half the fun is fishing for the big guys when you hook into something you never get to see. Have had biggies do that a couple times to me on the Upper Owens and Crowley. Been a couple time where I've had fish snapped fresh 2x (roughly 10lb) tippet on the hit. But some of the best days I've ever had on the water were spent fishing little Sierra creeks with a 2wt. for wild browns and brookies. Pretty hard to beat that for some R&R. :cool: