PDA

View Full Version : Surf Salmonoid

Brewfish
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Well, I had big news but now it's old news. Serves me right for posting late.

I hit Santa Barbara's East Beach on Memorial Day and hooked what I thought was a WSB when I first saw it in the water. Obviously, it was not. Not sure if it was a Coho or a steelhead. Personally, I would vote steelhead since it sure looked like a trout to me, as opposed to a salmon. Either way, it was a helluva surprise. I hope it lived - it lost some scales. I unhooked it and got it back in the water as fast as I could.

Based on Wingnut's post, looks like these babies were running that day. I saw one rocket out of the water about 30 minutes after I caught this guy.

Other fish that morning included one short halibut and a bunch of perch. I hooked another solid fish but he popped off after a few seconds. Felt like a legal or near-legal flattie.

Everything was caught on my "new standby": 3 inch Big Hammer Key Lime with 1/4 oz. head.

P.S. Hope I'm not bumming anyone out by naming the "secret spot". I've learned so much from everyone on this site so I feel it's only right to give back. And besides, I don't think the spot is very secret. As long as everyone practices C&R, we'll be OK.

one_leg
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Sweet!!!

Congrats to you buddy.

One_Leg

ThemBastards
05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
P.S. Hope I'm not bumming anyone out by naming the "secret spot". I've learned so much from everyone on this site so I feel it's only right to give back. And besides, I don't think the spot is very secret. As long as everyone practices C&R, we'll be OK.

:Applause:

Congrats on the catch.

Brewfish
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks man! Go Halos! I grew up in LA, near Dodger Stadium, but was always an Angels fan. We suffered for decades, but now life is sweet!

ThemBastards
05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I like this guy already:LOL:

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Outstanding!

Congrats on getting in on what was a rare bite for sure!
Thanks for the report and photo!

one_leg
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I like this guy already:LOL:

Anyone who likes Brew AND Fish is prolly an upstanding individual. :D

I have always thought Brewfish was cool.

O_L

Brewfish
05-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I must admit that I am partial to both brew and fish. As for being an upstanding individual, not so sure... But thanks for the props!

troutdog
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
I must admit that I am partial to both brew and fish. As for being an upstanding individual, not so sure... But thanks for the props!

:ROFL:

Congrats on the nice fish....wtg!

TD

Wingnut
05-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Excellent job Brewfish, glad you were able to experience the excitement that we also felt that day. ;) :D

flyngby
05-31-2008, 09:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brewfish,

Well, I had big news but now it's old news. Serves me right for posting late.

flyngby: Nice rare socal surf catch you have there!!!!!!!!:Beer Toast:

Brewfish: I hit Santa Barbara's East Beach on Memorial Day!

flyngby: I had the same feeling after a great day of fishing and taking Wingnut out with my son Brad to a new playground and getting back home late and not being able to post as I had to work early the next day.

I came home excited to post the trip only to see that Arthur had already posted his trip on Sunday about the Bat Ray from the Surf!!!, and thought that my post would fall of the bottom of the charts very quickly even though he would be in the photos in my post with Brad and I. No offence Arthur!!

Congrats on a great day out there and the rare catch that might be tough to duplicate!!!!!!

With photos there are no secret spots!!!! Even yours might be detected by what is in the sand in the photo!!! I love to provide background to my shots and it is up to the individuals to first locate it and then have the skills to reproduce the same photo's with their mug shot.

Steve