PDA

View Full Version : Garibaldi Regulations?

etaggart
05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

This hasn't happened to me, but I was wondering, what you are supposed to do if you accidentally catch a garibaldi? I assume it's a protected fish and that you should release it as gently as possibly, but if someone sees you are you gonna get ticketed?

Thanks,

Eric

rusty6
05-28-2008, 01:50 PM
im pretty sure they aren't supposed to be removed from the water, so best bet would be to just cut the line as close to the hook as possible. but if nobody is around, it wouldnt hurt to just take it out to remove the hook

cappo
05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
If they can prove you were specifically targeting them then yes you can get a ticket.

And dont take pics of your friends holding a protected fish and post it online like some other buffoon. :LOL:

mg2969
05-28-2008, 02:05 PM
2008 CA DFG Regs just say
28.05. Garibaldi. May not be taken or possessed.

I would think that as long as your not specifically targeting Garibaldi any
reasonable method of releasing would (should) be acceptable.

Just my 2 cents

fish4keep
05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I would say probably, most likely not. But then according to Game Warden (our friendly FNN Warden), "DFG defines take as (F&G Code 86)To hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill..Or an attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill", you will get cited. Best thing to do is like Rusty said, "cut the line".

Ricky-Ray
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I've caught one before and just did what I did like I normally do when calico bass fishing. Don't let it hit the deck, unhook and return it back to the water as quick as possible.

jplee3
05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
You *must* pan fry it the same night of catching it.... these fish are the most delicious ones in the ocean! :O

jk hahahaha...

Ricky-Ray
05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
You *must* pan fry it the same night of catching it.... these fish are the most delicious ones in the ocean! :O

jk hahahaha...

Does it taste better than bald eagle????

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

crystalmath79
05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I caught a good number of them fishing off the dock at Catalina a few years ago, along with dink calico bass and some spanish mackerel. I always C & R'ed them. No state law is gonna stop that fish from taking the bait if it wants to. Their color is so bright, you can easily spot them in the water.

SOSO
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I see them at Aquarium fish stores time to time along with leopard sharks. Are they somehow legal in their trade?

Fish Dog
05-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I see them at Aquarium fish stores time to time along with leopard sharks. Are they somehow legal in their trade?

I may be wrong but if you're seeing them, or a leo shorter then 36 inches, in an aquarium store the number to call is 1-888-DFG-CALTIP.