PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the Bishop and On Up North?

rotto84
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

I am going to head up to the Bishop area this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I like fishing streams with light spinning rigs. I can also hit other areas.

ANY SUGGESTIONS on where to start? Any cabin or hotel or camping suggestions?

(I am also going to post this on the northern fishing boards)

THANKS!

Brett

Joshua
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Check out my report. I listed several areas on the way to Bishop. The weather has been questionable. Dont know if I would tent it, unless you have a quality 4 season tent.
Bishop Creeks (south, middle and North Forks) are some of my regular spots. Always going to produce some fish.
Lodging will depend on your budget. There are hotels in town and there are lodges up on the Mountains. I will sometimes camp at Creekside. I get one of the RV spots along the creek and put up my tent. It costs a little more than the dry camping spot, but I get power and water in my campsite.

rotto84
05-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks!

Anyone else with some suggestions?

Brett

Badfish2
05-28-2008, 12:31 AM
If you're going to hotel it in Bishop.. stay at the La Quinta Inn for around 100 a night . or if you want to go cheap, but clean stay at the Town House Motel. It's right across from McDonalds and AM PM/GIggle Springs corner. They are usually around $65 a night.

If you're going to camp, (Check http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/campgrounds.shtml for what's open) camp at Sabrina a campground or Big trees. I know four jefferey is open. Snow has been falling, so many camp grounds are going to be closed.

Sabrina,South Lake,Intake 2, North Lake should all have great action. Look for consistant size to come out of the creek and Intake 2.. but amounts of fish to be the highest out of Sabrina.

Lure? Thomas Bouyant, all colors.. especially gold red like my avatar

Bait? Anything in Yellow, or Green with Garlic spray,juice,scent

Nightcrawlers work great too, inflated about 3 - 5 foot leader

I'll be up there this coming weekend too.. good luck

Koshaw
05-28-2008, 05:06 AM
There is also a lil mom and pops place in bishop for 67 a night...my buds went there and it has a very high rating...

http://www.bishopvillagemotel.com/

I am staying there on the 17th, 23rd of June.

Nice and cozy I hear.

=)

retired/lasd
05-28-2008, 06:25 AM
If your on a tight budget, the Elms Motel on Elms St. has rooms for 50.00 a night, their small but clean. has ice and fish cleaning area.

For camping I would pick Rock Creek at 19.00 a night.

pkingcobra
05-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Would love to stay somewhere alittle higher,, june loop area.. Would drive my suburban and camp at rock creek but with a 454 engine it would cost me an arm and a leg to drive up alone from so. ca area.. anyone know of a few places thanks for any responses....

Sparky70
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I hear that they have a foot of snow in Mammoth, better dress warm.

I went to Mammoth on Memorial day several years ago 4 the weekend, took my shorts, T-shirt, lawn-chair and sun-screen....Guess what it snowed every day we were up there. Crazy weather in the Eastern Sierras this time of year.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Badfish2
05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Weather check for mammoth this weekend shows highs almost 70 degrees.. any snow less than a 1' deep will be gone by then. Going to be 84 degrees in Bishop on Saturday. :p I'm glad I didn't go last weekend, that was crazy snow they got. Up to 2 feet in some spots.

DreStyle
05-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I was just up in there this weekend. Got home about five minutes ago actually. If you're looking for a good place for lodging that has a nice central location try Tom's Place. They have a lodge with regular motel rooms and upstairs they have two dorm rooms (1 men's and 1 women's) each with 7 beds and a shared downstairs bathroom. The downside is that you could end up sharing a room with up to 6 strangers and a bathroom with up to 13 others. The upside is that it's only $24 per night (I think it comes to $26 or $27 with tax). I was go there friday and came back today and there was only one person that stayed in either dorm one night, the rest of the time I had it all to myself. If you have 2 or 3 others with you and you think you may want to fish points on the northern end such as the Bridgeport area, but still want easy access to some of the southern areas, Mammoth is an excellent place to stay. You can rent a condo in Mammoth for DIRT CHEAP this time of year. It usually ends up being $30-$40 per person per night. I've booked through these guys before ( http://www.mammothpremiere.com/default.shtml )

Koshaw
05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Good luck to you buddy and tight lines man.

We want pics and a report :D

Have a great and safe trip

=^^=

drivelikejoewho
05-29-2008, 09:43 AM
If you are looking for condos in Mammoth, seasons4.com always has the best deal. Put it this way, I have yet to find anything cheaper and I even look on craigslist etc.

olfishergal
05-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Would love to stay somewhere alittle higher,, june loop area.. Would drive my suburban and camp at rock creek but with a 454 engine it would cost me an arm and a leg to drive up alone from so. ca area.. anyone know of a few places thanks for any responses....

take a few friends with you and split the cost of the gas.......