PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing and PFD

Bassripper2000
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Does anyone use a PFD while surf fishing. Getting pounded by waves, loose footing, and getting sucked out in an undertow are dangerous.

Noticed no one in the posts have on any PFD's. If you do use one, what do you use and is it any good. I was thinking of the Stearns inflata-belt to have and not hinder your movement while fishing.

Can be worn over waders but dunno if it can be submerged for long periods of time. I think the saltwater would corrode the mechanism that inflates it. Dunno...

Ideas? Suggestions?

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
As with any water sport, surf fisherman should always make sure they take care and participate safely.

As we all know, lots of surf fishing is done in rough whitewater surf conditions. Rogue powerful waves and strong undertows and currents can get you in trouble quick if proper attention is not paid to safety.

Always scout the area you intend to fish during a low tide condition first and take note of any sudden drop offs or dangerous conditions hidden that would more than likely not be visable during a high tide condition.

If you wear waders when you surf fish, be sure you wear a wader belt to help keep your waders from filling with water in the event you fall in the surf.

Take it from me, if you fish the surf enough, sooner or later you WILL fall into the water. :Embarrassed:

PFD's (personal flotation devices) should be considered especially when fishing alone or when fishing in big surf or on any jetty.

I have a couple different PFD's, but I must admit I have only worn one once while surf fishing. :Embarrassed:

The automatic PFD's, like the manual ones, consist of inflatable bladders with a nylon shell. Firing mechanisms differ in detail, but operate on the same principle: A spring-loaded pin is held in check by a water-dissoluble barrier. When the barrier is breeched, the spring is released allowing the pin to penetrate the CO2 cylinder and inflate the bladder.

Lots to consider when choosing a PFD for the surf..... some have metal buckles and other exposed metal components, ... some have d-rings to help carry items and some do not.... some allow you to disable the auto inflate so you can manual inflate with a pull cord...etc.

Inflatable belts are probably the way to go for surf fishing as they can be worn comfortably around the waist.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=50112&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Again, when participating in any kind of water sport or activity, a PFD certainly is a good idea... and IMO, everyone (especially children) should consider wearing one.

I know it sounds like a bit of "over protective" advice, but less than a couple of months ago Wingnut, City Dad and I were out surf fishing with some friends and their children..... one of the youngsters got hit by a rogue wave and was swept back into the water in a matter of seconds..... he was "rolling" back towards the water when City Dad spotted him and pulled him to safety.

I guess its like the old saying, you can never be TOO safe.

On the other end of the spectrum, Ive fished with Bill Varney who barely gets wet when he fishes..... he makes a point to work the beach from just above the water line and THAT lowers his risk of getting "washed" into the water..... however, everyone has different styles and methods.... and therefore different levels of risk....

Here's a link that has some good information on PFD's and how they tested along with some other things to consider.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/resources/in_media/articles/Practical_Sailor.pdf

Thanks for the question and LETS BE SAFE OUT THERE!

HBJapo
05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
On the other end of the spectrum, Ive fished with Bill Varney who barely gets wet when he fishes..... he makes a point to work the beach from just above the water line and THAT lowers his risk of getting "washed" into the water..... however, everyone has different styles and methods.

Here's a link that has some good info on PFD's and how they tested along with some things to consider.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/resources/in_media/articles/Practical_Sailor.pdf

Thanks for the question and LETS BE SAFE OUT THERE!

57, please elaborate on this point. What is considered to be above the waterline? How can I tell if I'm there?

Thx,

Japo :Envious:

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
57, please elaborate on this point. What is considered to be above the waterline? How can I tell if I'm there?
Thx, Japo :Envious:

The last time I was out fishing with Bill Varney, I noticed that for the most part, he was standing in water no deeper than ankle high... and at the end of the day he was a lot drier than I was and he had caught more fish! :LOL:

While I can't speak on behalf of Bill, I believe his theory is that with the proper rig and casting technique, you can reach MOST all of the same fish as the guy working from waist deep water.

Basically, the area is as shown below.....

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/water012aaaa.jpg

Bassripper2000
05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah,

I wade in about waist or lower chest high. I also emailed Stearns and here is what they wrote in regards to the inflateable belt type PFD's

"You are correct that, over time, saltwater will corrode the mechanism. With regular maintenence, however, you should be able to get many years of service from one of the inflatable belts.

When approved, the mechanism is subjected to a 720 hour (30 day) salt spray test. The mechanism must perform as intended after this test. This is not to say that 30 days is the limit, but it MUST perform after 30 days in this extreme environment. The salt spray test is designed to be more corrosive than any typical marine use, including a constant submersion.

After ever use, you should unpack the device (for the beltpack the unpacking and repacking is quite easy), remove the cylinder, rinse well with clean, fresh water and allow to air dry. Keep your eye open for any corrosion on the mechanism and you should get years of service out of one of these units. Your mileage may vary, of course."

HBJapo
05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Basically, the area is as shown below.....

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/water012aaaa.jpg

Thanks 57, for some reason I was thinking it was a point of view relative to the breakers that you were referring too, not the shore,.....DOH!! :ROFL:I was thinking too technically.....DUH.

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks 57, for some reason I was thinking it was a point of view relative to the breakers that you were referring too, not the shore,.....DOH!! :ROFL:I was thinking too technically.....DUH.

I normally decide how far Im wading out based on: the beach terrain, how heavy the surf is, how hard its breaking in close and how strong the current and surge is......

It's been my experience that even standing in knee high water can easily get you soaked from head to toe when a big wave rolls in!

This photo kinda shows where everyone was working the surf this particular day at Bolsa based on some of the factors I mentioned above..... the rule of thumb should always be.... safety FIRST.

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/dana031.jpg

HBJapo
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks 57, you are of great assistance, as usual!!

rusty6
05-29-2008, 01:02 PM
i think a pfd for surf fishing would be pretty overkill...

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
i think a pfd for surf fishing would be pretty overkill...

I thinks thats the overall perception.... it seems very safe standing on the beach or rocks at times....

Then again....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fisherman+swept+of+rocks+california&btnG=Google+Search

bonestock
05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Dont be a girly man papabear :cool:

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Dont be a girly man papabear :cool:

.... :ROFL:

I love surf fishing and all that goes along with it.....
I think as long as people use common sense, they'll be fine.

Although.... when people fish with Wingnut...... they'll do almost anything to try to outfish him! :LOL:
(BTW... thats not me! LOL!)

http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/Picture065aa.jpg

vanillagurilla
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
there was that thing some guy did on youtube about waders. he jumped in feet first, head first, pfd, no pfd, and.... his waders never filled up with water. infact bearly any water got in. i think you would have no problem not skinking its only if you feel your not comfortable with you swimming skills. when i surf fish i fish in board shorts and have all my stuff in a back pack usualy up the beach where it wont get wet. the number one thing is if you do get swept out, stay calm. i know its hard when your trying to save your calcuta and stezee rod but, the calmer you stay the more likely your chance of getting out ok is gona be. keep your feet moving, keep steping sideways so your feet dont get stuck in the sand and you get knocked over.

Fisherman57
05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah! I love surf fishing in the summer!..... shorts and a t-shirt all the way!.....
BUT NOT IN THE WINTER....... waders are a must for the areas I fish...

Like I stated above.. I do not use a PDF belt while surf fishing....

BUT... I always wear a wading belt with chest high waders,,,,

People die every year because they fall into water without wearing a wading belt while using chest waders.

The idea that that water inside your waders drags you down is a fallacy.

The water inside your waders weighs no more than the water outside your waders and does not affect your buoyancy while in the water.

The danger comes from the waders ballooning out when they fill with water, and all waders will balloon out (including neoprene waders, though less so than other types).

The ballooned-out waders act like a sail in the currents, which immediately steals all control from you and tends to bounce you off of rocks or whatever- not healthy.

Hard to swim when you've been knocked unconscious, easy to drown.

A wader belt prevents the problem.

Water-filled waders also make it a real trick to climb out of the water.

What had no buoyancy effect in the water has a huge effect when you attempt to lift yourself out of the water. Water is much heavier than air.

You may have a couple of hundred pounds worth of water trapped inside your waders - 25 gallons will do it. This makes it virtually impossible to walk out of the water after a tumble. Crawling out is the only viable option and that limits your opportunities for escape.

Another consideration even without significant currents, is hypothermia. A wader belt will help protect you from the hypothermia that a good soaking can quickly turn into, especially if you fish in the winter.

Wading belts won't keep you perfectly dry, but they will keep you from getting soaked and allow you the opportunity to swim out of danger.

Always wear a wading belt.

tr0psn4j
05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
http://fishinghotpage.com/users/tmp3/Picture065aa.jpg

Hey, i resemble that remark!

Wingnut
05-30-2008, 01:07 AM
I have to admit that I do own two different types of PFD's. The Mustang worn over the neck version and the Stearns waist belt version. But I have not worn either whenever I go surf fishing, even though I do some aggressive wading from time to time. You have to know your limits out there and I'm always aware of my abilities & surrounding conditions.

Wearing a PFD while surf fishing, while not mandatory or even necessary is probably a good idea... doesn't hurt to be more careful. I may start wearing mine. :cool: :D

Captain Boracho
05-30-2008, 01:30 AM
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/fishnscubaguy/Towelie_Prof.jpg

ronin007
06-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Summer is here,Throw on some Bermudas and get in the water barefoot!You can also sometimes feel the Corbinas on your feet sometimes.Watch the the water around you constantly and cast ahead of feeding Corbina.

Fisherman57
06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Summer is here,Throw on some Bermudas and get in the water barefoot!You can also sometimes feel the Corbinas on your feet sometimes.Watch the the water around you constantly and cast ahead of feeding Corbina.

Welcome to the board Ronin007!

Nothing better than surf fishing in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt!..
BUT I recommend wearing proper footwear when surf fishing....

Here's a perfect example why ......
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16966&highlight=stingray+barb+wingnut